Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SYH to Holland

Default Re: SYH to Holland

Quote Originally Posted by pandroid View Post
    I would have thought Ijmuden was the most straightforward. Up to the N Shipwash then straight across.
    Ijmuiden is best if you are visiting North Holland but is not what the poster wants. We can do Lowestoft-Ijmuiden in about 17 hrs, so that it becomes a day trip if starting at 6am, but from Harwich it will be a long overnight journey, and not 'the shortest way' to the Netherlands for a first time.

For the poster, my preference would be to plan for one of the Scheldt harbours mentioned if possible and then get on with enjoying the country. You may well get held up on your return and need to make progress via Belgium, which I would save until then.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I may be showing my age but I prefer to arrive at dawn so as to be sure of the lights. Very “pre-GPS” of me! That means Ostende, Flushing or Ijmuiden because their lights are so good. Ijmuiden is my favourite because one can go North or South, if going South one improves the chances of a fair slant on the return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I may be showing my age but I prefer to arrive at dawn so as to be sure of the lights. Very “pre-GPS” of me! That means Ostende, Flushing or Ijmuiden because their lights are so good. Ijmuiden is my favourite because one can go North or South, if going South one improves the chances of a fair slant on the return trip.
    +1 for that advice. If you really want short hops, Ramsgit, Blankenberg, Vlissingen will get you into the canal system, but that uses up 3 days.

I don't think the OP specified which bit of Holland and, navigation wise, Ijmuiden is the easiest, with options to travel inland to any part of the country.

Peter

How about Hellevoetsluis? I've not been for years but remember it as a simple entrance, half-decent marina (choice of several now I think) and a fun town. Not the shortest trip but not much in it really.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Quote Originally Posted by Major_Clanger View Post
    How about Hellevoetsluis? I've not been for years but remember it as a simple entrance, half-decent marina (choice of several now I think) and a fun town. Not the shortest trip but not much in it really.
    That's no good. He won't be able to find his way there until he's learned how to pronounce it.

AS Marmalade says, I would suggest Breskens over Vlissingen as a first stop as no lock (which is no fun after umpteen hours across the North Sea). We've used it as a first and last stop for many trips. Easy access then into Zeeland via Vlissingen or, further down, Hansweert. Also, you could head right up to Antwerp from there but may need a tidal stop at Terneuzen.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Major_Clanger View Post
    Tricky with a strong onshore wind, its shallow & many changes of direction to stay in the channel, Roompot Sluis would be a better / safer option

PS take a note of your air draught, it will be useful to know what bridges you can go under, rather than wait for a lifting section
    Last edited by sailorman; 18-02-19 at 14:52.
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Roomptsluis is my favorite. Easy approach, though there is no clear water mark. Watch out for the dogleg on the way in. Free pontoons on either side of the lock and usually no shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by michael_w View Post
    Roomptsluis is my favorite. Easy approach, though there is no clear water mark. Watch out for the dogleg on the way in. Free pontoons on either side of the lock and usually no shipping.
    I like the Roompot too, and enjoy stopping at Colijnsplaat nearby, but I'm assuming the OP is a first-timer, and may want to do the traditional visits to Middleberg, Veere and Goes. The Roompot also involves some wind farm-dodging.

I've done SYH to Breskens a few times because it's easy to get into day or night. Usually left early morning and arrived at dusk. Recently though when we've had grandchildren on board we've gone Ostend then Breskens or Vlissingen, however Vlissingen is often full - call beforehand to see if they have a berth.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast