Default How to find others planning to retire and see the world

Now that I'm in my sixties, I am beginning to think about fulfilling my lifetime dream of retiring and sailing off to see the world while still able. However I am single so I am looking for another person or a couple who have similar plans: a long-term ocean voyage with no planned time limit.

The problems with the normal crewing sites seem to be that they cater for short trips - an ARC or a voyage of a few months. Does anybody have any idea of how one would find a skipper and boat that is planning a long-term retirement trip? Are there any boat/crew sites that are particularly useful for such a trip?

Default Re: How to find others planning to retire and see the world

Hello & welcome to the forum. I think most people would be reluctant to commit to such a trip without knowing you very well. You do not mention if you have cruising experience? If not, you will need to get some to see if you actually like cruising.
    If you are UK based perhaps have a look on the Cruising Association website - they have a crewing service (I think it costs about 25 p/a) and I think quiet a few of their members are long distance cruisers.
    Good luck with your plans and if you want you can pm (private message) me.

Echo for the CA

Have a look at Lovesail.com. Although, at first sight not obviously a crewing site, it is and you can advertise your plans to a wide audience.

Why would you want to tie yourself to one boat. In different circumstances I would share your ambitions but would want to sail with different people on different boats. If you get on exceptionally well with someone then all well and good but a sailing circumnavigation is not contingent on it.
    https://www.transitionsabroad.com/li...sailboat.shtml

I can see your point and had considered it, but worry what would happen at the end of a voyage. If I couldn't find another boat to continue with, would I have to come back to the UK and find somewhere to live while searching for a new trip? If I can find someone who is planning to spend their retirement sailing, the future is at least assured (all being well) for a few years.

I would be keen to do that too but it's definitely hard when you're single.