Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    7

    Default Flexible filler...

    Hi - whatís the best waterproof flexible filler to use on a gap thatís appeared near my bulkhead..? Many thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South of France.
    Posts
    4,142

    Default Re: Flexible filler...

    Sikaflex must have something … they make one for every occasion - you just have to pick the right one! Check their website or Amazon, E-Bay or Screwfix.
    _______________________

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    A Member State of the European Union
    Posts
    6,404

    Default Re: Flexible filler...

    CT1
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Flexible filler...

    Oakum..... obviously

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Newport IoW
    Posts
    616

    Default Re: Flexible filler...

    Stockholm tar mixed with red lead and animal dung, reindeer is meant to be the best. Stiffen with chopped cow's hair, the fibres add strength. The fermented stuff is best but you may have to make do with raw these days.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    S.W. France
    Posts
    7,675

    Default Re: Flexible filler...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybirdgaffcutter View Post
    The fermented stuff is best but you may have to make do with raw these days.
    I didn't realise that times had got so hard..Perhaps we need to sponser some aprentiships in fermenting stuff?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    8,223

    Default Re: Flexible filler...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybirdgaffcutter View Post
    Stockholm tar mixed with red lead and animal dung, reindeer is meant to be the best. Stiffen with chopped cow's hair, the fibres add strength. The fermented stuff is best but you may have to make do with raw these days.
    Sounds like " Chalico ", the preparation used to seal the interior vertical oak planks on wooden narrowboats. Stockholm tar, horse shit and chopped horsehair. Local supply, of course, often made this mixture vary a bit!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,532

    Default Re: Flexible filler...

    One could shoot the horse, tan his hide, melt his hooves and have a lifetime supply of leather patches, chopped horsehair and glue. The other organic ingredient might have to be sourced in-house.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    8,223

    Default Re: Flexible filler...

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowtack View Post
    One could shoot the horse, tan his hide, melt his hooves and have a lifetime supply of leather patches, chopped horsehair and glue. The other organic ingredient might have to be sourced in-house.
    Horses were not in short supply in the pre engine days on the cut.

    Horse shit certainly was not!

    I smelt the mixture being used at Tooley's yard at Banbury in the early 70's. They were often repairing wooden narrow boats.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,532

    Default Re: Flexible filler...

    This issues is probably a dead horse

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to