Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default I made a serious mistake: I cannot contain myself any further

Pour le avion, I thought I would buy a magazine for the flight. I thought a copy of the PBO would be a good idea. £4.85 a copy to occupy the 12 hour flight. And the cover article 'How to chose your next boat: power or sail'! Interesting perhaps.

And within a moment, before even take off, my ire had reached 30,000 ft. The author.. nay... the dork who wrote the article covered 6 pages - yes 6 pages - including his personal boating history. And for his vast experience he writes extensively thus:

"Wooden boats? - If you actually want to go boating do not buy a wooden boat unless you live ten minutes away from it or have pots of money to pay someone to pay someone else to maintain it for you".

That's it. Noffin else. The vast experience of 4 decades has NO experience of a wooden boat but still managed to express to an opinion.

I have owned wooden boats for 4 decades. I admit I now live on Mersea but still doesn't qualify me to be within 10 minutes and for 30 years I lived in London. Amazingly TG has managed to float. Can't imagine how that happened. Pots of money? Mine doesn't qualify like him who now owns a BROOM 41 diesel gobbling oil well!

How can a dork write for the PBO. Where is his PRACTICAL experience? He wants a Broom 41 for "more entertaining space, better facilities for guests and bigger engines allowing faster passage times" (of course, my mistake, it won't cost a lot to run like a wooden boat!).

Where is his experience about plastic tat? Elsewhere in the 'magazine', there is an article (well written and interesting) about "replacing his boat's hydraulic hoses following a steering failure" - a Jeanneau Merry Fisher 855 only THREE YEARS OLD which despite maintenance needing complete renewal. Note elsewhere on the forums about a plastic tat that was originally fitted with BRASS skin fittings which a surveyor thinks that all the skin fittings needed instantly replacement.

I can contain myself anymore. How can PBO publish such tat. I suppose they now claim they are a 'platform' rather than a publisher.

I doubt the PBO will publish my response in 'readers' letters'.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Default Re: I made a serious mistake: I cannot contain myself any further

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Pour le avion, I thought I would buy a magazine for the flight. I thought a copy of the PBO would be a good idea. £4.85 a copy to occupy the 12 hour flight. And the cover article 'How to chose your next boat: power or sail'! Interesting perhaps.

And within a moment, before even take off, my ire had reached 30,000 ft. The author.. nay... the dork who wrote the article covered 6 pages - yes 6 pages - including his personal boating history. And for his vast experience he writes extensively thus:

"Wooden boats? - If you actually want to go boating do not buy a wooden boat unless you live ten minutes away from it or have pots of money to pay someone to pay someone else to maintain it for you".

That's it. Noffin else. The vast experience of 4 decades has NO experience of a wooden boat but still managed to express to an opinion.

I have owned wooden boats for 4 decades. I admit I now live on Mersea but still doesn't qualify me to be within 10 minutes and for 30 years I lived in London. Amazingly TG has managed to float. Can't imagine how that happened. Pots of money? Mine doesn't qualify like him who now owns a BROOM 41 diesel gobbling oil well!

How can a dork write for the PBO. Where is his PRACTICAL experience? He wants a Broom 41 for "more entertaining space, better facilities for guests and bigger engines allowing faster passage times" (of course, my mistake, it won't cost a lot to run like a wooden boat!).

Where is his experience about plastic tat? Elsewhere in the 'magazine', there is an article (well written and interesting) about "replacing his boat's hydraulic hoses following a steering failure" - a Jeanneau Merry Fisher 855 only THREE YEARS OLD which despite maintenance needing complete renewal. Note elsewhere on the forums about a plastic tat that was originally fitted with BRASS skin fittings which a surveyor thinks that all the skin fittings needed instantly replacement.

I can contain myself anymore. How can PBO publish such tat. I suppose they now claim they are a 'platform' rather than a publisher.

One might say that you calling plastic Boats Tat is as bad as the person you are ranting about
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post

I should think Denny Desoutter must be turning in his grave...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    One might say that you calling plastic Boats Tat is as bad as the person you are ranting about
    A lot of new ones are, built down to a price that raises profits

put in a kitchen,bathroom, two tor three bedrooms ( none can be used at sea ) , a dining area with minimal stowage, then wrap them in thin grp to keep the water out
    Last edited by sailorman; 19-02-19 at 07:56.
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Harber View Post
    I should think Denny Desoutter must be turning in his grave...
    Old Harry would have had something to say too
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

I can't wait for him to do a feature on grimsby.......
    At least I may feel better about taking my plastic tat there.

Oh dear. I apologise. Bigplumbs won't understand the point. I better explain. It's an article giving advice about making the right and wrong choices for another boat. So presumably the author is writing about the things to avoid. So presumably he is only about plastic tat in the article; I don't mind plastic boats. Some, I'm told are good. Mine's ok, not brilliant, not bad, functional. TG on the other hand is wooden and will clearly sink in 11 minutes.

Denny will be giddy with spinning.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

I'm surprised at PBO. We all make sweeping statements but for the author to make one about wooden boats in such a magazine seems a bit crass and certainly not 'practical'. It says more about him than the boats he has little experience of, so reduce your ire by looking at the duty free collection you've brought home.

If you do receive a reply from PBO then I'm sure you're right; it'll be a wan apology and to draw your attention to their disclaimer. I used to write for The Field and enjoyed a bit of sparring in my articles, but there's journalistic sparring and there's just plain ignorance!
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Forgive them for they know not what they do [or say].
    Many boat owners nowadays have not had the benefit of the experience of owning properly crafted ships.

Excellent rant, and spot-on. The article sounds like uninformed reducto-ad-absurdum taken to the furthest possible limit.

I am currently a plastic tat owner (I refer to it as a plastic floating caravan) and am not the least bit insulted by the TG's use of the phrase. Anyone who is needs to consider the reason & context behind its usage.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast