Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: I made a serious mistake: I cannot contain myself any further

I'm not offended in the slightest, I usually describe myself as tupperware or stinky when talking to biogradables or raggies.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird30ds View Post
    I'm not offended in the slightest, I usually describe myself as tupperware or stinky when talking to biogradables or raggies.
    Biogdegradable raggy beardies.

I hope the raft sailors among us aren't feeling left out (to monohull dinghy sailors a catamaran is a 'raft', to catamaran sailors a monohull is a 'transit').

Don't start on the wierdy beardy's or you'll have the socks&sandals crew up in arms and you'll have most of the camra real aleies gunning for you.
    This is getting silly!

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Many years ago the late Bill Beavis referred to the late Bill Tilman in his "Looking Around" column in Yachting Monthly, then still edited by either Old Harry himself (owner of the er... plastic Trident 24 "Tinker Liz") or by Andrew Bray, as "the man who sank old pilot cutters".

This caused several of HWT's ex crew members to hit 30,000ft very fast indeed, the Editor’s intray groaned under the load of “incoming” and we can pretty much date the continuing rise in Tilman's reputation from that point.

I now own an old plastic boat, but for the first forty years of my sailing career I owned old wooden boats.

Mytica, built in 1947, owned by me 1973-83. Still going extremely strong:

Mirelle, built in 1937, owned by me 1984-2013, still going extremely strong - note that for most of those years I was living in Hong Kong, the Philippines and Mainland China and keeping her in the UK and doing all the work myself. So much for living a few miles away.

I share TG's wrath - and by the way when I last saw the lady herself she was laid up (looking very smart) near Arthur Holt's old yard at Heybridge, which is not very near London, or Mersea.

Once a boat is past her fortieth birthday, there is no real difference in the amount of work needed, or in the cost thereof.
    Last edited by Minn; 19-02-19 at 14:11.

I think that Mytica is part of the forgotten past. When plastic was invented, it was logical for designers to plan in more cabin space as the growth of our leisure time increased. People wanting a first boat would obviously be attracted to the increase in space but would be unaware of the pleasures of a small wooden boat like Mytica. Our first wooden boat was apt to developing a bead of moisture beating to windward but how did she sail! She creamed along. Under anchor of course, the cabin was limited but sitting room was adequate. A 40ah battery was sufficient to start the Stuart - and indeed apt to provide the early electric boost which F1 now uses (I suppose I better explain - when motoring into Bradwell Creek against the wind but with the tide, if the Stuart wouldn't push enough, if you pressed the Dynastart for a critical couple of minutes, it would boost the Stuart - like an F1 car (it isn't a new idea, I just never patented it). Anyway back to the accommodation, the benefit of a centreboard allowed the seat back to slot between the case and the bunk edge to form a double bunk that was the best bunk in the East Coast (two subsequent owners will testify (Roy the lurker if he is reading can confirm)). But as a sailing boat, wooden and small was a very very good vessel. And good value.

Now Minn, you are in serious danger of being accused of pots of money ..... mind you I don't mind if you have ...... indeed I hope you have ...... and everybody on the Forum. But I fear this is a dream.

PS yes TG was laid up each winter there for 27 years. For this year it's Mersea but that is simply because I am getting ancient.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Who was the skilled writer? I won`t be buying the magazine to find out!

Mytica looks very much like my first cabin boat, a 1937 Johnson & Jago 2.5 tonner. Electric start Stuart? Pure decadent luxury. Ours had hand start, sometimes, if you were lucky. If you needed standing headroom you could go on deck.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    I think that Mytica is part of the forgotten past. When plastic was invented, it was logical for designers to plan in more cabin space as the growth of our leisure time increased. People wanting a first boat would obviously be attracted to the increase in space but would be unaware of the pleasures of a small wooden boat like Mytica. Our first wooden boat was apt to developing a bead of moisture beating to windward but how did she sail! She creamed along. Under anchor of course, the cabin was limited but sitting room was adequate. A 40ah battery was sufficient to start the Stuart - and indeed apt to provide the early electric boost which F1 now uses (I suppose I better explain - when motoring into Bradwell Creek against the wind but with the tide, if the Stuart wouldn't push enough, if you pressed the Dynastart for a critical couple of minutes, it would boost the Stuart - like an F1 car (it isn't a new idea, I just never patented it). Anyway back to the accommodation, the benefit of a centreboard allowed the seat back to slot between the case and the bunk edge to form a double bunk that was the best bunk in the East Coast (two subsequent owners will testify (Roy the lurker if he is reading can confirm)). But as a sailing boat, wooden and small was a very very good vessel. And good value.

Now Minn, you are in serious danger of being accused of pots of money ..... mind you I don't mind if you have ...... indeed I hope you have ...... and everybody on the Forum. But I fear this is a dream.

PS yes TG was laid up each winter there for 27 years. For this year it's Mersea but that is simply because I am getting ancient.
    Mytica was actually a bit smaller than than a J&J and had a hand start Stuart. I did Walton-Flushing- Amsterdam- Harwich in her and Ned and Kate did Orwell- Falmouth and return and her present owners have been all over the West Coast of Scotland via the Forth and Clyde Canal.

Dear TG - whatever gives you the idea that I have any money? If I had any, my sailing career would not have been built round whatever was cheap at the time and could be fixed with simple hand tools!

Bloody wooden boats. They're as bad as vegans nowadays. Always preaching at us.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Mytica was actually a bit smaller than than a J&J and had a hand start Stuart. I did Walton-Flushing- Amsterdam- Harwich in her and Ned and Kate did Orwell- Falmouth and return and her present owners have been all over the West Coast of Scotland via the Forth and Clyde Canal.
    She looks a bit like a Colne Pilot Cutter (I think that's what they were called and the lines were taken and scaled down a little for the Memory 19).

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Bloody wooden boats. They're as bad as vegans nowadays. Always preaching at us.
    How can you tell if someone is vegan...........?

Don't worry, they'll bloody tell you!
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast