Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: I made a serious mistake: I cannot contain myself any further

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Mytica was actually a bit smaller than than a J&J and had a hand start Stuart. I did Walton-Flushing- Amsterdam- Harwich in her and Ned and Kate did Orwell- Falmouth and return and her present owners have been all over the West Coast of Scotland via the Forth and Clyde Canal.

Dear TG - whatever gives you the idea that I have any money? If I had any, my sailing career would not have been built round whatever was cheap at the time and could be fixed with simple hand tools!
    The article clearly thinks that anyone who doesn't lives within 5 minutes must have pots of money. I was just trying to be ironic. You have just described my boating history. I did once buy a new saw though. Having six planks of 1" x 14" iroko to scarf into two gunn'les I though it might be a worthwhile investment.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Bloody wooden boats. They're as bad as vegans nowadays. Always preaching at us.
    Was that you who wrote that 'article'?

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Was that you who wrote that 'article'?
    Oh no. I can't write.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Oh no. I can't write.
    Oh, yes of course. Silly mistake by me.

I've long been of the opinion that most boaty mags don't target boat owners as their market but target wannabe dreamers. Can't remember the last time I had the urge to buy one after scanning the content.
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    I've long been of the opinion that most boaty mags don't target boat owners as their market but target wannabe dreamers. Can't remember the last time I had the urge to buy one after scanning the content.
    ^^ Correct, and I think I will join TillerGirl for a rant....

Just passed your day skipper? Have a look at this ideal starter boat, 45ft and £250k ex tax and sails/electronics. And you'll need to buy about a grands worth of waterproofs per crew member and dress the back of the boat with a shed load of safety gear. You'll get lost if you don't have chart plotters everywhere, radar and forward facing sonar. Better get a fish finder too. And some flares. And those life tag things, AIS or you'll get hit by a ship.....and crutch straps for your lifejacket!

Don't forget the Dubarry's, a polo shirt with a sail number on it, a baseball hat with a serious offshore race written on it (doesn't matter if you've done it), sunglasses on top of hat and a big chunky tactical sailing watch. Otherwise people will think you don't know what you're doing.

When you're new to this hobby you do tend to buy the magazines and hoover up as much 'knowledge' as you can, magazines were the first point of contact, maybe now this has moved to the internet and forums like YBW.

It takes about 3 years before you realise you're reading the same articles about anchoring, collision regs, basic maintenance etc, along with what can only be described as 'advertising features' about shiny new plastic boats with Ikea interiors. I did buy all the mags but haven't bothered for years now. Time Inc etc know this and cycle the articles accordingly. Very difficult to keep if fresh for the old sea-dogs.

‘........who now owns a BROOM 41 diesel gobbling oil well....’. made me chuckle, particularly as the offending article was read whilst taking a 12 hour flight!

Having previously owned a 41 I can testify to their superb build quality and excellent seakeeping - a serious cruising boat. Didn’t even gobble too much fuel when slipping down the coast at hull speed with the tide and I am fairly confident that our annual carbon footprint was significantly offset by choosing holidays on the boat instead of foreign trips.

Anyway, sorry for the Fred Drift and I acknowledge that wasn’t Tillergirls point - back on topic we enjoy both motor boating and sailing and I would love a classic wooden yacht but have always been put off by the perceived downsides regarding incessant maintenance, including requirements for varnish on tap and a ready supply of timber for replacement planking. Perhaps my perception is wrong?

Got chatting to a chap at SYH last week when we were looking at moorings and he was telling us about his classic woodie. Clearly loves his boat and when I asked about the maintenance he said that he reckoned that what he had spent on her equated to about £1k per year during his ownership. He had bought her in the mid-eighties though so probably a tidy sum overall.

So I guess the question is, how does the upkeep of a wooden boat compare to running a ‘diesel gobbling oil well’?
    Last edited by Greg2; 23-02-19 at 09:07.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I’ll take a stab at an answer: the boat in the lower photo in post 14 above averaged £4K pa in total running costs over theee decades (mooring, insurance, paint, surveys, timber and fastenings, new sails, new rigging a rewire, new tanks and plumbing and - much the biggest item - professional surgery on her floors etc when she got to sixty.. But when I sold her she was in much better condition than when I bought her. Total expenditure on new planks £O (teak!).

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I’ll take a stab at an answer: the boat in the lower photo in post 14 above averaged £4K pa in total running costs over theee decades (mooring, insurance, paint, surveys, timber and fastenings, new sails, new rigging a rewire, new tanks and plumbing and - much the biggest item - professional surgery on her floors etc when she got to sixty.. But when I sold her she was in much better condition than when I bought her. Total expenditure on new planks £O (teak!).
    Well that doesn’t sound too bad, particularly as it includes moorings and insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    ‘........who now owns a BROOM 41 diesel gobbling oil well....’. made me chuckle, particularly as the offending article was read whilst taking a 12 hour flight! :
    ….
    So I guess the question is, how does the upkeep of a wooden boat compare to running a ‘diesel gobbling oil well’?
    Oh dear I shall give up trying irony and pathos. I was merely trying to underline the 'author's' implication that the running costs of a large twin fast diesel yacht are swamped by wooden boat ownership. The routine maintenance costs of a wooden boat are not excessive. When it is 50 years old some renewal costs are inevitably more than mere maintenance costs. Such as holding tank, calorifer, fridge. The cost of keel bolts can be tiny compared with attending to , say, Westerly bilge keel problems (I am not suggesting Westerly's are bad - I am merely pointing out that the cost of renewal of keel bolts were so low, I always replace the bolts even when seen and found ok.) The thing about wooden boats is a regular maintenance programme. It's a very good idea. I fancied a place in the 'shed' in the yard this winter for the first time. I declined the cost, carrying on my regular practice of all over cover. There are some significant savings with wooden boats - for example dropping the mast every winter means the standing rigging will last as twice as long, and for example all that epoxy tosh. Those savings I invest admittedly into the fabric of the boat.

I shall never try irony or pathos ever again. (oh by the way, not only the article but the whole of the magazine was finished before taxi - and it had several mobo articles - quite useful like 'oh dear I have had to renew the hydraulics cos it is now 3 years old since new - oh dear, I've done it again. Oh dear I have glibly suggested that wooden boat ownership maintenance takes more than plastic ownership. Sorry wooden boat owners.

The point is an article in such a notable magazine as PBO OUGHT to be objective.
    Last edited by tillergirl; 24-02-19 at 08:59.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast