Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tide lower than LAT - how come?

According to my regular tide app (Boatie) the low water tidal height at London Bridge tomorrow (Thursday 21 Feb 2019) is -0.3m. How can this be?

Default Re: Tide lower than LAT - how come?

High pressure ?

Super full moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Super full moon.
    But isn't that astronomically big/close?

I asked the same question a few years ago. Got some sensible answers here
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...Lower-than-LAT

Quote Originally Posted by Findhorn View Post
    High pressure ?
    I would doubt that the tidal prediction app predicts barometric pressure as well.

Rob - your previous thread seems to have it well covered, thank you. To my mind now it goes something like: because chart datum is determined for only for a limited number of ports (presumably standard ports) tidal heights at other locations (secondary ports) can be lower than CD.

For me this was only out of interest but it could have implications for moored vessels that don’t want to dry out and had done their calculations based on a LAT of CD? Presumably HAT is also similarly affected which could be more significant for craft on the Thames passing under all those bridges.

Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

This happened a few years ago. The conclusion is they got the chart datum wrong and 0 should really be a little bit lower than it is.

I think this is only the second year since I have been a boat owner that this has happened.

It also means high tide is higher than normal, today and tomorrow being very high. Some low lying areas will be worried and praying for still weather, i.e small waves.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBomber View Post
    ...For me this was only out of interest but it could have implications for moored vessels that don’t want to dry out and had done their calculations based on a LAT of CD? Presumably HAT is also similarly affected which could be more significant for craft on the Thames passing under all those bridges.
    In theory, yes. But we're talking about a few tenths of a metre, less than a typical wave height. I hope you'd allow more than that as a safety margin?

Chart Datums can only be established at locations where there is a permanent tide-gauge; the locations are available at https://www.bodc.ac.uk/data/hosted_d...e_network/#map, as are the data from which tidal constants can be derived.

However, the important thing to recall is that a datum (either horizontal or vertical) is an arbitrary fixed reference frame. For convenience the vertical datum of charts is usually said to be LAT - but it can only be LAT at the site of a tide-gauge. Elsewhere, the lowest tide may well drop below the chart datum because of local effects - estuaries and embayments are particularly liable to these, as they can amplify the tidal amplitude, resulting in tidal extrema that are above or below the datum defined at a point elsewhere.

It is not inconceivable (though unlikely) that two overlapping charts that happen to take their datum from different sets of tide-gauges COULD quite correctly show different charted depths. Of course, hydrographers will avoid this situation, and I certainly don't know of an example, but it is possible! I do know of maps in the Antarctic where the horizontal datum differs from place to place within a map; the map-makers (not us!) lost the errors in large glaciers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast