Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,268

    Default 'Used to be deeper than this'

    A 32' yacht of some sort 'took the ground' recently at the bottom of Beaulieu River.
    Instead of simply awaiting the inevitable rise of tide, they called the stalwarts at the MCA for help ( or was it HM Coastguard, as another rag reported? ) and the Cowes RNLI Atlantic 85 ILB was tasked to go fetch 'em.

    Apparently those on board, decked out in all the right-on yottie gear, were surprised to learn that the water would all come back of its own accord....

    "Following discussion with the yacht skipper our helm decided to stand off as the tide had turned and await sufficient depth for the vessel to float off...." UKNIP.CO.UK
    https://www.islandecho.co.uk/cowes-l...eaulieu-river/

    I'm wondering if the 'discussion' included the oft-heard Solent refrain "Some mothers do have 'em."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,303

    Default Re: 'Used to be deeper than this'

    Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Apparently those on board, decked out in all the right-on yottie gear, were surprised to learn that the water would all come back of its own accord....
    Jeepers, so you're saying that the water from a river flows out into the sea, then turns around and comes back in?

    Always wondered how those salmon got up those rapids!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere warm
    Posts
    9,191

    Default Re: 'Used to be deeper than this'

    Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    A 32' yacht of some sort 'took the ground' recently at the bottom of Beaulieu River.
    Instead of simply awaiting the inevitable rise of tide, they called the stalwarts at the MCA for help ( or was it HM Coastguard, as another rag reported? ) and the Cowes RNLI Atlantic 85 ILB was tasked to go fetch 'em.

    Apparently those on board, decked out in all the right-on yottie gear, were surprised to learn that the water would all come back of its own accord....



    https://www.islandecho.co.uk/cowes-l...eaulieu-river/

    I'm wondering if the 'discussion' included the oft-heard Solent refrain "Some mothers do have 'em."
    Did you miss a link or something? No mention anywhere of "Apparently those on board, decked out in all the right-on yottie gear, were surprised to learn that the water would all come back of its own accord...."

    How do you know what they were wearing or that the skipper didn't just let the CG know they were aground without requesting assistance, don't they often send out a boat even if no help was requested?

    Can we take it by the smug condescending post you have never ever ran aground then?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    12,230

    Default Re: 'Used to be deeper than this'

    Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post

    ...

    Can we take it by the smug condescending post you have never ever ran aground then?
    You know what they say? "There are two kinds of sailor - those that have run aground and those that have not yet..."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Home - Sothampton, Boat - Gosport
    Posts
    9,765

    Default Re: 'Used to be deeper than this'

    Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    You know what they say? "There are two kinds of sailor - those that have run aground and those that have not yet..."
    ... And of those who ran aground, there are those who dealt with it on their own and those who panicked and called for help. There is also a relatively small number who assessed the situation and decided they genuinely needed help before calling for it.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere warm
    Posts
    9,191

    Default Re: 'Used to be deeper than this'

    Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    ... And of those who ran aground, there are those who dealt with it on their own and those who panicked and called for help. There is also a relatively small number who assessed the situation and decided they genuinely needed help before calling for it.

    Do we know if these guys did actually call for help? Or just called to let the CG know what was going on and they sent a boat anyway?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Medway, UK, boat in SYH
    Posts
    2,302

    Default Re: 'Used to be deeper than this'

    Is it possible that someone called it in from the shore or another boat?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Gosport : Boat Soon to be Gosport
    Posts
    1,618

    Default Re: 'Used to be deeper than this'

    It is a dilemma, say nothing and a helpful person will call in a yacht in difficulty. Tel the coastguard that you are on the putty and enjoying tea cake and the view, and they may say ok or they may task a unit to assist you. I have heard on VHF a tasked unit demanding to assist and get a yacht off as they thought sitting on the mud for a hour or two was not seaman like.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    2,654

    Default Re: 'Used to be deeper than this'

    Quote Originally Posted by sailor211 View Post
    It is a dilemma, say nothing and a helpful person will call in a yacht in difficulty. Tel the coastguard that you are on the putty and enjoying tea cake and the view, and they may say ok or they may task a unit to assist you. I have heard on VHF a tasked unit demanding to assist and get a yacht off as they thought sitting on the mud for a hour or two was not seaman like.
    I suppose you/they cannot be in anyone's way since no-one else was expecting to take that route...

    Mike.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Eastern Atlantic seaboard
    Posts
    2,990

    Default Re: 'Used to be deeper than this'

    Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    You know what they say? "There are two kinds of sailor - those that have run aground and those that have not yet..."
    I thought it was "those who admit they have run aground and those who don't".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to