Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Kerry, Ireland
    Posts
    182

    Default A snowball effect............

    As the title suggests, I embarked upon one particular job which developed into something entirely different, as follows.

    I took my boat out at the end of the season with the intention of scraping the hull and antifouling it. It had never been antifouled and was the original gelcoat, which I had been hoping to preserve. I launched her for the first time last year with a view to seeing how she might or might not be affected by growth etc. I thought that because she is moored in brackish water the growth might not be too bad. How wrong I was!

    Tiny barnacles soon took hold, at times clogging up the water intake on the leg, but not before I discovered it, so no harm done. Just ensuring to keep it clear. The rest of the hull developed such a build up as to seriously affect performance, feeling as though I was dragging my anchor.

    Alongside this, I noticed the boat was listing at times and further investigation showed that she was taking on water. The bilge pump was handling this and the fact that my mooring drains dry at low tide helped, as any water onboard would drain back out when she was sitting on the dry.

    But it got worse and needed investigation, so after pulling her out and taking her home, a closer look showed the exhaust bellows had come adrift. The reason for this was serious corrosion on the bellows flanges on both ends of the gimble housing. The corrosion was mostly on the lower edges and the bellows pulled away easily, not helped by the fact that I have to leave my boat moored with the leg fully raised, to clear the bottom on low tide.


    I found this to be a not uncommon problem with some "fixes" available, but I opted for a replacement and found a very good, clean, freshwater used replacement gimble on ebay. So, while awaiting delivery, I decided to look into the transom, as the engine and outdrive had to be removed anyway. I cut away the inner glass and some battery shelves at either side of the inner transom and found what remained of my transom. A mostly soft, mushy remnant of what once used to be. Looking ahead, I cut away the rear section of the cap that runs across the top of the transom, to facilitate fitting the new transom. I wanted to fit it in one complete section, rather than building it up in sections.


    Now, after much cutting, scraping, grinding etc. I'm almost ready to start installing the new transom. I have both 3/4" marine ply transom boards cut and each have been given a coat of resin to help seal them up. All my glass is cut also and I'm just waiting for some better weather to start rebuilding it.


    To cut the new transom boards, I used an 8x4 sheet of 3mm hardboard, hung on the outside of the transom, onto which I then marked out the shape of the transom. This was then reduced in size accordingly, to allow for the fact that the transom dimensions are smaller on the inside. New transom boards ahve been dry fitted and I'm very happy with the result. I alsso routed off the inside edge of the first board, to allow it to sit snug, compensating for the irregular inner edge of the transom/sides/hull. While I'm at it, I'll also be replacing sections of the stringers where they meet the transom and I'll be looking into the engine mounts, as the mounting bolts came out with little or no effort. I thought they were just a bit loose, but found that they wouldn't tighten up at all and just kept turning when I tried to do so! As for the barnacles, they are gone. I have scraped and cleaned the hull right back to spotlessly clean and it's ready for primer and antifoul. This required some inventive approaches, as the boat sits on a bunked trailer and I had to support the boat, one side at a time and drop the bunks to allow access for cleaning. I'll have to take a similar approach when painting.


    I also found some corrosion on the lower mounting holes on the exhaust "Y" pipe, but this has been addressed. This "Y" pipe was missing one of it's four mounting bolts and the bottom two were so loose as to be easily removed by hand! Another bullet dodged.


    A little side job was the salvaging of my recently renewed starter motor. This had been submerged during one or more of the water ingress occasions. I removed the starter and left it sitting in a bucket of fresh, soapy water for a few day, just to flush it out and clean away any possible salt build up. Then I pressure hosed it, dismantled it and cleaned and lubed all the relevant moving parts. I left the various parts sitting on a shelf in the immersion/hot press and when I was happy that it was fully dried out, I cleaned it up and re-assembled it and am happy to say its functioning perfectly. So at least I've saved that much.

    I'll post further updates as I progress, but I'm working against time as my next work/tour season is due to kick off around March 8th. Fingers crossed for better weather. I can only post one picture here so I'll show you the corrosion to the gimble housing where the exhaust bellows attaches. The corrosion was the same at either end of the bellows.Bellows ring_LI.jpg


    In the meantime, my replacement gimble housing arrived and it's perfect!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,925

    Default Re: A snowball effect............

    'I have to leave my boat moored with the leg fully raised'

    assuming this refers to an outdrive, you are likely to have growth on the hydraulic rods, this will damage the seals ..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Kerry, Ireland
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: A snowball effect............

    Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    'I have to leave my boat moored with the leg fully raised'

    assuming this refers to an outdrive, you are likely to have growth on the hydraulic rods, this will damage the seals ..
    Yes and no. It is an outdrive, but the rams never had any growth on them. Possibly as a result of the oil/lubricant film on them. The body of the rams did have tiny barnacles on them, but nothing at all on the rams. I'm cleaning up the outdrive also and will be antifouling it also, using trilux. Thanks for the input.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Conwy
    Posts
    3,771

    Default Re: A snowball effect............

    Trilux you say? For barnacles you say? Personally I am against feeding the marine wildlife but go ahead and knock yourself out.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Kerry, Ireland
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: A snowball effect............

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Trilux you say? For barnacles you say? Personally I am against feeding the marine wildlife but go ahead and knock yourself out.

    Thanks for the input but perhaps you might elaborate? I opted for Trilux after researching and asking questions and opinions on forums such as this. One of the reasons I subscribe to these forums is to gain from other people's experiences and to sometimes impart some of my limited experience also. One thing I don't do is to post casual, throw away remarks that might be misconstrued as a simple smart alek attitude
    I'm sure this doesn't apply to you and in that vein, could you please explain your apparent disdain for Trilux? Bearing in mind the fact that we might be in very different geographic environments with very different prevailing conditions. Thanks again for your input.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Conwy
    Posts
    3,771

    Default Re: A snowball effect............

    I was being flippant, but in your shoes I can understand you being grumpy. If you have different barnacles in Ireland to us in Wales you may indeed get away with Trilux. It is the common choice so something must be said for it. I'd have thought the photo spoke volumes but in case you missed it not a single barnacle on the transom.
    If you had been reading the forums you may have picked up I have been searching for a solution for quite some time for a viable solution to the upper gearbox and transom shields. Trilux say it has Biolux. So does the hull AF also by International. So if each has Biolux why the difference? Both are self eroding ablative paints yet the Micron Extra 2 on the hull is fine even on the transom.
    I had a chat with the Tech guys at International. They are really very helpful and refreshingly honest, but then faced with the evidence its not hard to be. They confess Trilux is not suitable for barnacle prevention. Trilux will not help you one jot above the cavitation plate because it's ablative properties works, as can be seen in the lower gearbox, it's Biolux is evidently subpar as is it's self eroding qualities as seen above the lower gearbox.
    It is my opinion, that barnacles appreciate Trilux. There are a number of outdrives in the eatuary that have no AF on their drives at all...... AND THEY ARE IN A BETTER STATE THAN MINE. (That's in uppercase for clarity not shouting)
    Last edited by BruceK; 22-02-19 at 16:47.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SoF
    Posts
    8,055

    Default Re: A snowball effect............

    Quote Originally Posted by sogood View Post
    Thanks for the input but perhaps you might elaborate? I opted for Trilux after researching and asking questions and opinions on forums such as this. One of the reasons I subscribe to these forums is to gain from other people's experiences and to sometimes impart some of my limited experience also. One thing I don't do is to post casual, throw away remarks that might be misconstrued as a simple smart alek attitude
    I'm sure this doesn't apply to you and in that vein, could you please explain your apparent disdain for Trilux? Bearing in mind the fact that we might be in very different geographic environments with very different prevailing conditions. Thanks again for your input.
    I was enjoying your thread very much but, with respect, I think you were a little mean to BruceK. Like you, I value these forums for their expert advice. But I also enjoy them very much for their humor.
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Conwy
    Posts
    3,771

    Default Re: A snowball effect............

    I might add I am extremely precious about my outdrives having been stung for a repair bill that could have bought me a small raggie and a slow ponderous crawl into the sunset. Even now after spending a small fortune I have had to send the drives back in to be cleared of all Trilux and repainted afresh for the not insignificant sum of £1350 quid the pair because here is the other bender. Where the barnacle gains purchase it starts a little erosion dimple in the paint that leads to corrosion and before you can say Jack Be Quick your outdrives are scared like a PFY (pimply faced youth). Mine have a texture like a golf ball. The running bet at the moment is whether the botox and plaster treatment they are getting to resolve this will increase or reduce drag. Stay tuned

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Kerry, Ireland
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: A snowball effect............

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    I was enjoying your thread very much but, with respect, I think you were a little mean to BruceK. Like you, I value these forums for their expert advice. But I also enjoy them very much for their humor.
    If I came across as being mean, then I can only apologise. And do please watch this space for any updates.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SoF
    Posts
    8,055

    Default Re: A snowball effect............

    Quote Originally Posted by sogood View Post
    If I came across as being mean, then I can only apologise. And do please watch this space for any updates.
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to