Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: A snowball effect............

So the weather forecasters came through and it was a lovely day today, warm with lots of sunshine and not a drop of rain in sight. I did quite a bit of grinding and cleaning, unearthing some old bodged repairs in the bilge area, including some glass that was laid directly on top of gel coat. This had lifted enough to allow water in underneath. No real harm but it meant that the glass wasn't really doing it's job. I took a closer look at the rot in the stringers and the engine mounts/ stringers. Not good at all so I'm working towards repairing and/or replacing these. Some opinions needed in this regard. I've posted a pic showing the ends of the motor mounts/stringers, which for some reason, reduce from the large 7"x 4" down to two smaller separate sections where they would tie into the transom. These separate sections have a gap running between them, which is just a trap for muck and water, neither of which I need! So, I was planning on cutting the top gel/glass off the top of the mounts/stringers (along with the two smaller short sections) and replace them with new wood, running the full length, right up to the transom, replacing the short small sections in the process. You can see the rot in the mount in the picture showing the section of gel/glass cut away.Thoughts?

Next question is regarding the stringers that run parallel to the engine mounts. I've already cut away the ( transom) ends of these stringers to investigate the rot, which is extensive. Drilling holes along the length of the stringer revealed mostly mush or empty space. So I was going to approach this repair like the transom, by cutting away the outer glass skin, clean away the rot and replace it fully, tying it into the transom also. Drain holes will be inserted as per the originals, properly sealed up. Any thoughts?

Tomorrow I hope to start fitting my new transom, weather permitting, Everything is cut, treated and just a bit of cleaning to do on the transom area first.

Lovely weather today and I got my transom cleaned up and the first layer of glass laid, along with the first of the two new transom boards. This is all clamped up and hardening overnight and tomorrow I'll repeat the process and get the second board glassed in, then it's just layers of fibreglass. So a bit of a milestone. Always good when you start putting things back together again!!

You are quick. To be building up already is amazing, hope the weather stays dry
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    You are quick. To be building up already is amazing, hope the weather stays dry
    Thanks for the encouragement, but I wish! I've had so much lost time with bad weather, some days only getting an hour or two at it. Tomorrow should see a good bit more done, but the forecast is for bad weather to roll in by the weekend. Just trying to get the bulk of it sorted before my work season kicks in around march 8th.

So another great day on the weather front, almost too warm! A good day at the transom too, as I got the next resin and glass sandwich done, with the second transom board in place and tabbed in. I stuck some screws into it too and I'm happy that everything is nice and solid so far. A positive note was the fact that when I removed my clamp boards and "G" clamps from the first transom board, there was no movement or separation at all. Woo hoo!! Now it's just layers of glass and that much is done, before I move on to the stringers. A pic to show how it's shaping up. Not very exciting, but I'm a little bit excited!

So hows it going, is it all back up together now?

The drain holes in the bearers, did you fit any in the end ?

Captain Faffer

AKA Wayne

I've replied twice to this post and managed to delete both of them! Old age! Anyway, time and weather conspired against me but I got bits and pieces done in between and the transom is all finished. I've started on the stringers and yes I will incorporate drain holes in them. The reduction in the engine mounts are there to facilitate the flywheel housing so I'll make up my new mounts with the same clearances. Only tidier. I'll be getting back home later today so I'll post an update with some pics soon. Hope you and yours are staying well. Thanks.

Hi fella. I can put a lot of hold ups on mine to the weather. Either to cold. Wet or warm. Windy. Be good to have a big workshop hey.

Atleast it's getting there now. But as we know a boat always needs a tinkering.

Best to never do a job unless you want another job to do lol.

This is how I did my draind so water gatherd for a bulge pump . Just a notch out and sealed good time and laminated over.

https://i.imgur.com/1WwaJiz.jpg

Well, as promised, a bit of an update. Today I got the stringer cut for the port side and then used it as a template for the starboard side, as they are about 99% the same. Just a case of flipping the piece around. I did a dry fit and all is good, including the angle at the transom and the angled cut along the bottom edge, to match the shape of the hull. I also included a cut out for drainage, into which I will fit a piece of pipework, all duly sealed and "resined" in.

I made the short, right angled section taller than the original, as it stopped short of the underside of the deck floor. My replacement piece goes all the way up, helping to give the floor some extra support and it also fills in an unnecessary hole.

All the stringer sections have been given a very liberal coat of resin on the inner sides, ready for fitting and I also have all the glass cut and waiting. I'll glass in the port side first and after it's all set properly, I'll cut away the outer glass skin on the starboard side, remove the mush and repeat the process. I just want to have one side finished before starting the other, to go some way towards maintaining structural integrity. I'll do likewise on the engine mounts. Some pics to clarify...….Transom done.jpgStringer rot.jpgStringer 1.jpg

Just more ply and fibreglass. I got the port stringer resined, fitted and tabbed in along with the short section at the transom end. It's wedged in place while it sets up and then is ready for final glassing. I'm just about ready to move over to the starboard side, but the weather will dictate what I get done. Typically, it's forecast to take a turn for the worst, just when I manage to grab some free time...………………..Transom tabbed 2.jpgTransom tabbed 4.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast