Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Anti-fouling - Orwell Mooring

We are planning to move our boat from the Broads to Woolverstone at the beginning of the season and I am wondering what the situitaion is with fouling on the hull and sterngear in the Orwell. We have moored in coastal marinas before and always got on okay with Cruiser Uno for the hull and Trilux for the outdrives. Is this combo likely to be okay or are there better options for the hull?

Not sure if the Orwell is all salt or brackish - I suspect the former given the size of the estuary but am I wrong?

Default Re: Anti-fouling - Orwell Mooring

Anti-fouling choice is fairly subjective.... What sort of mooring, half-tide or permanently afloat? I've always been a fan of Hempel's Cruiser Performance but there's a good East Coast argument that says why anti-foul if the hull will have a thin layer of mud on it? I don't totally subscribe to the idea but it has merit.

Unless you're right up in Ipswich the Orwell is salt. If you're afloat all the time then see how you get on with Hempel. It's fairly easy to remove if you don't like it.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Salt. I don't think that any one AF is superior in this area, though everyone has their favourite. I'm round the corner in Titchmarsh and found Optima effective but have had less success with Hempel Tiger, but the current flow through Woolverstone may make it different.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Our ship has had Tiger Extra for the last two years prior to that International Micron.

We are based at Shotley and have to say I could not see much difference, both worked reasonably well.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I am new to the Orwell and can only say that after one year at Woolverstone the fouling is significantly less than it was on the Deben at Methersgate. I think this may be because there is more sea water and less fresh in the Orwell; I suspect that what Deben people call “concretion” - a very hard, pale, coating over the antifouling paint - is actually lime scale.

Edited to add:

I’ve just been chatting to a friend who also moved to the Orwell from the Deben, but some years ago, and he confirmed what I wrote above.

I like Ocean Performer. The colour doesn’t seem to make much difference.
    Last edited by Minn; 23-02-19 at 09:58.

Thanks guys, some helpful info here.

PBO did a test a few years ago and Seajet Shogun 33 came out best for the Orwell - I am hoping to apply some today having used it successfully for 3 seasons.

Actually it was Waldringfield on the Deben not the Orwell....
    https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/pbo-great...showdown-26053
    Last edited by John 32i; 23-02-19 at 08:49. Reason: memory failed me...
    Yacht: White Pearl - Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 32i

My go to antifoul is Hempel tiger xtra although I'm led to believe it has changed so may have to reconsider in the next few weeks. Need to move to our other yard in Ipswich to lift out and sort antifoul so will be watching this post for other peoples opinions.
    Electrician In Ipswich & Southwold Yard
    Custom Panels, Eberspacher/Webasto, ECU Remapping

I've been using CU-Pro for the past two years. Does a very good job. After a full season with no scrubbing the speed was only down by 0.5 kt.

https://www.smlmarinepaints.co.uk/home

I have used Seajet Shogun very successfully for a number of years, both on a mooring and in a Marina at Woolverstone. Previously on a wooden day boat then a sailing cruiser and most recently a motor boat. With the cruisers it may have helped that we usually managed to spend some time each year in fresh water.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast