Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fairline Squadron - Help to identify Missing Part

There is blue and brown going into the base of the dodgy socket.
    My guess is that each switch/plug is breaking the blue and brown circuits, which makes no sense at all unless your name is “Heath Robinson”.
    Wires look possibly 40A or so ... maybe they wouldn’t fit into one plug

Last edited by FlowerPower; 25-02-19 at 20:26.

Be very careful in there as there is mains voltage present. I'm ignoring the sockets.....
    Electrician In Ipswich & Southwold Yard
    Custom Panels, Eberspacher/Webasto, ECU Remapping

Yes the open section looks like mains voltage and the socket thing is being used as a pair of switches, he,s been breaking the circuits using the switches between the plugs .

So just selectively turn some 240 V on and use those switches ( carefully) to find out .

If it’s not 240 v then repeat with the none mains stuff .

The dangling tails marked on the LHS may be the reminants of a early Yacht remote control system , whereby stuff was controlled from a handy screen / box , that’s been since taken out because it was crap .

Velcro style patches and space LHS are a clue .
    Last edited by Portofino; 25-02-19 at 22:13.

Another vote for a “Seaplex” type box of some description.

As Petem said get in touch with Axon who manufactured the panels.
    I can recall earlier 62's having endless problems with switch gear in that cabinet although your internals look different.
    Barry Vipond at Axon should be able to point you in right direction. Sadly the Fairline technicians from that era have long moved on.

OK chaps a bit more info concerning this issue has come to light. The missing circuit board allows the breakers, etc to be operated remotely from the electrical panel at the helm. As you can see, the lights and meters in the red and turquoise boxes no longer work nor do the red / green buttons. Not the end of the world but a major PITA for the OP.

Fairline (via Bates) have not been able to help as the components were originally supplied by AXON. AXON subcontracted the manufacture of the circuit board out to another company who are no longer trading. So we're following a couple of lines of enquiry for sourcing a replacement....

1) Coastal Rides
    2) AXON to see if they have any of the original drawings and / or contact details for someone in the defunct company who might be able to help.

Failing the above, how easy would it be to reverse engineer something that would provide the same functionality? Is there any new tech that would make this job easier (Arduinos, etc)? And more importantly, are there any companies that would take this job on?

Pete

I think you just need to buy some 24v coil remote latching relays Pete. Loads of those around. I canít see from the pic what circuits youíre trying to make up.

If op ever wants to sell that ICS navtex unit can I be first in line please? I love them. £750 to open the bidding .

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    I think you just need to buy some 24v coil remote latching relays Pete. Loads of those around. I can’t see from the pic what circuits you’re trying to make up.
    Looking from my PC, I suspect it's

Batter Charger
    Immersion
    Galley Cooker?
    Can't make out
    A/C

Assuming no OEM board can be found, I suspect providing some basic functionality is relatively doable, i.e. get the relays wired up as you say and also getting the voltage meters working again. Getting those 25 or so little LED's working for each circuit might be too much effort / £.

If op ever wants to sell that ICS navtex unit can I be first in line please? I love them. £750 to open the bidding .
    I'll let him know!

I’d just get a series of din rail mounted relays Pete. Latching relays that switch 230v and have a 24v coil. The the buttons at helm station can easily be made to work, as well as the LEDs (or neons). Would be good if you could get the mating halves of those multi connectors from Axon. Then you could make it very oem. They will connect to the LEDs and the red green push switches.

If op ever wants to sell that ICS navtex unit can I be first in line please? I love them.
    Is your love affair specific with that unit for some reason, or with that sort of vintage technology in general?
    If the latter, I must have a Furuno 207 Meteofax+Navtex unit stored somewhere.
    'Twas removed from my old boat just to free up space since I never used it, but it did work perfectly.
    Arguably even better, with its much larger paper roll (A4 width)...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12