Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Tender. Inflatable or rigid

Quote Originally Posted by andyj301 View Post
    Which side of the main channel is your mooring? If it's on the south (Shotley) side, be aware that the wind over tide (say F6 over spring tide) can cause 1m breaking waves in the main flow.
    I have been advised by SYH that a ten foot RIB is a minimum if your mooring is on the south side. SYH unlike Woolverstone don't run a water taxi service.

Yes something substantial if you have to cross the river. In the middle it can get surprisingly choppy. I once took an 8ft pram down from Pin Mill to Levington and found myself hugging the shore having got quite scared. I was alone and the outboard had no tiller extension so we were a bit bows up, not at all pleasant. Better if your spot is on the marina side

Quote Originally Posted by Denek View Post
    Hi all.
    Our new ( to us) boat is being launched in a few weeks and going onto a swinging morning at Suffolk yacht Harbour and we were looking to buy an inflatable dinghy to get to and fro. I have been advised that since it can get a little choppy here that an inflatable is not suitable. Any thoughts?
    Our last boat was at wolverston which was obviously less exposed. We wanted an inflatable to take with us on voyages but if it is unlikely to be suitable for SYH we will have to think again.

Any advise would be appreciated.
    Do try to get a mooring on the north side of the river. A rigid tender, with built in buoyancy is recommended, which you leave on the mooring, plus an inflatable carried on board for the destination. Also, check out the launching ramp at SYH as I recall it is a bit steep so you kneed to know if you can manage the tender/trolley at low water without straining yourself.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

I had a deep water swing mooring belonging to RHYC for two seasons. It was located about half way between no.3 and no.4 buoys, on the south side, so it wasn't far from SYH. I used to come down regularly from Woolverstone in a 2.4m inflatable. However, I didn't normally go to the boat in poor conditions, but I can't recall ever having difficulty in the inflatable or having to abort a weekends sailing. Unfortunately, I have seen people go out from Levington when it was rough and I wouldn't do it in any sort of tender!

Thanks guys. I have sent an enquiry about the one at the ferry boatyard. Looks ok from the picture.

Out of interest, how much are the swinging moorings at SYH? Their price list says £152 a metre, but for 1 April to 31 October. Does this price include anything in the winter months?

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Out of interest, how much are the swinging moorings at SYH? Their price list says £152 a metre, but for 1 April to 31 October. Does this price include anything in the winter months?
    Hi, I might chip in here if that's ok. (I don't want to be seen to be advertising but it might make sense if I answer this). If the Swinging Mooring is paid in full and up front, the hard-standing/winter storage from 1st Nov to 31st March is included (excluding lifting/launching. There is no discount if the hard-standing option isn't required I'm afraid). You may also keep a tender on site which we ask is clearly marked with the yacht name.

As to the Swinging Mooring Denek is asking about, I'm afraid I haven't got that info to hand but as a general rule of thumb and as mentioned previously, larger heavier boats (approx >36ft) are more suited to the South bank moorings, 34ft and below are normally this/our side of the river. Please feel free to call us and we should be able to give you some more accurate info mooring-wise.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. So with the winter lift-out and relaunch, plus pressure washing, it looks like swinging moorings are around £205 a metre.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Thanks, Bob. So with the winter lift-out and relaunch, plus pressure washing, it looks like swinging moorings are around £205 a metre.
    Not far off, I make it near enough £215 per m (to include the lifting, washing and re launching and inc vat) but that also includes towage where necessary but doesn't include cradle hire if required, nor the early settlement discount against the mooring...there's still a lot of variables which is why our scale of charges lists them all separately. We're always happy to work out individual rates on request.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob@SYH View Post
    Not far off, I make it near enough £215 per m (to include the lifting, washing and re launching and inc vat) but that also includes towage where necessary but doesn't include cradle hire if required, nor the early settlement discount against the mooring...there's still a lot of variables which is why our scale of charges lists them all separately. We're always happy to work out individual rates on request.
    Oh, so cradle hire for 5 months is another £240. It all adds up, and makes me think a swinging mooring isn't the bargain we might assume, especially when you factor in the considerable inconvenience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast