Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Tender. Inflatable or rigid

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Oh, so cradle hire for 5 months is another £240. It all adds up, and makes me think a swinging mooring isn't the bargain we might assume, especially when you factor in the considerable inconvenience.
    I think that back in the '90s we were paying about £850/yr for a Sadler 29 at Maylandsea, including hard standing but not yard fees. This suggests that SYH's fees are about what one might expect. The only cheap swinging mooring fees I know are those available from clubs.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I think that back in the '90s we were paying about £850/yr for a Sadler 29 at Maylandsea, including hard standing but not yard fees. This suggests that SYH's fees are about what one might expect. The only cheap swinging mooring fees I know are those available from clubs.
    Yes, I guess clubs will be cheaper. But for about £100 a metre more than SYH you can get a 12-month pontoon berth in a safe marina, with all the attendant benefits and none of the danger and inconvenience of getting out to a mooring. OK, I realise that it's 30% cheaper to have the swinging mooring, but the saving would need to be somewhat larger to attract me.

Its all about cost at the end of the day. We had a swinging mooring on the Crouch and had a substainial rigid tender which had to have its own little pontoon. Had an inflatable onboard. Found it really inconvienent if one wanted to pop down to do one or two hours work.
    Moved to the Marina at more cost but prepared to accept that with the added bonus of just stepping on board, especially with bulky items, stores, water supply readily available etc.

We are 33 feet so I guess we are likely to be on the northern side. For us it’s not just about the money. We like the solitude on a swinging moring. Our first year in this area we were at Shotley on a pontoon and did not like the proximity of our neighbors. I guess we are just unsociable there was nothing wrong with our neighbors, they were nice people as were all the staff but we then moved to Wolverstone on a swinging morning and loved it. Yes it’s less convenient but peaceful and we just enjoyed going to the boat for weekend sometimes not even bothering to go sailing. We intend to try to spend as much time as possible honing our sailing skills this year in readiness for longer voyages next year after we ( hopefully ) retire. Depends is we can sell our house. Brexit is doing us no favors.
    I guess SYH swinging mornings will be much more exposed than Wolverstone but great for getting out into the big blue er I mean grey��
    Can’t wait for summer and if the last few days are anything to go by it might be a good one like last year. We missed out on sailing last year as we were flat out working on our house following three years renting it whilst we were living in America it. The tenant trashed it and vanished.
    I think we may now have found a tender ( thanks to this forum)

Go ahead. I look back on our days on a mooring with affection, which is why I tried to be encouraging in my last post. As soon as you leave land in your dinghy you are away from the cares of the world and your weekend or holiday has started. Although I enjoy the benefits of a marina now, it is very much a second-best option. There are plenty of other times for being sociable.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123