Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Is My Mast Repairable?

I did something really, really stupid today. I'm replacing all standing rigging and it was time to un-step the mast. While the crane was getting ready I went round removing the stays without thinking it through properly (even though I've done it many hundreds of times over the years) and the mast fell down. Its fall was partly slowed by the lowers and the lifeline but it still hit the edge of a metal combing on an adjoining boat with some force.

Do you think this is a realistic repair? I'm no metallurgist, but I think it is. The damage is only to the lips of the extrusion where they form the track - there is no damage or rippling to the main body of the mast. There is some stress crazing visible, but again, this is only on the lips.

If it is repairable, should I warm it first? Coat with epoxy afterwards? If it's not repairable then bang goes the season. I've sailed all my life, professionally for some of it, and I've never been dis-masted. Now it happens through my own stupidity when the boat's ashore! I am completely hang-dog about the whole thing and hope someone can give me some positive news.

IMG_20190226_122023.jpg
    IMG_20190226_121948.jpg
    IMG_20190226_121933.jpg
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Default Re: Is My Mast Repairable?

Ouch! While the bent bits seem to be only on the groove area, so might not affect the integrity of the main section, straightening them out is going to be tricky, if at all. Sorry.

That's a sad sight. I feel for you. But it's a genuine accident and that's what insurance is for.

If it were me, I think I would be contacting my local rigger with, probably, the expectation that he would provide a certificate for my insurance company indicating that the mast should be replaced. I don't think I'd ever trust the mast to deal with all conditions. At the same time, I'd be tempted to open out the track without heat and put the mast into light use until its replacement arrived.

I'd be hesitant about doing anything other than replacing it.

When somebody tangled their rigging with our when we were tied up in our home berth then motored their way out of the tangle it twisted the spreaders slightly which dug a small dent into the mast itself.

The insurance company offered us the option of getting a sleeve made up and riveted on to preserve the existing mast or pay a bit more towards the repair for a brand new mast. We wanted the mast all in one piece so got a new mast. Ironically the only way Z-Spars deliver masts abroad is in two pieces with a sleeve which is what we now have.

I changed my insurance coverage last year to cover TP damage, inc while racing, and so there's not much point talking to them.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Go to the mast maker & get it sleeved.Not impossible to do yourself if they supply the section

What is "TP Damage"
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 26-02-19 at 19:23.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

For future comfort, I don't think you could just pull the damage out, the strength of the section is due to it's whole shape and it will never be what it was. Gentle day sailing will be unlikely to bring it down but we all want a boat for all seasons so, for the long term, it looks like a new / used replacement.

It could be cut, sleeved and jointed, many masts were from new, but this was generally in the bottom third of the spar. With a Contessa 26 mast, falling on to an adjacent boat, I guess the damage will be in the middle third. Probably too high for comfort, even allowing the difficulty and expense of the repair. Might be worth asking a rigger though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Go to the mast maker & get it sleeved.Not impossible to do yourself if they supply the section

What is "TP Damage"
    Third party only

I think it fortunate that it didn't hit anybody, the mast situation would have paled into insignificance,

Straightening it? Forget it. Sleeving might work but you will need a section of the same mast section and you may lose some length
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast