Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast

Question Torqeedo Outboards?

Quick Question:
    Has anyone used a Torqeedo outboard and let me know how they compare to petrol in terms of torque and power when rated to a similar HP?

Background:
    We have a 3.5HP Mercury 4 Stroke and it get me to plane in our small avon dingy no problem. But it isn't powerful enough to get two of us to plane. Nearly but not quite. We're both quite light people if you hadn't guessed!

We plane now at 10-12 kts and its more efficient. We want to be able to take longer distance adventures up rivers and Fjords. However, I'd like to go electric for and considering a Torqeedo. So I want to know if a 5HP version would realistically match a 5HP 4 stroke outboard. I'm not totally familiar with how HP is calculated and I'm sure HP doesn't account for torque which may help a boat get to plane.

Here is my reasoning for electric:
    • No use of carbon fuels
      Lighter weight to handle (when batter is detached)
      Waterproof
      We make plenty of electricity through solar so no need to store petrol in cans.
    www.Chasing-Contours.com - A circumnavigation by boat, bikes, climbing & paragliding

Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

While there is charge in the battery, they are lovely - and expensive. When the battery runs flat, they are just expensive and useless for an hour or two. I need a new outboard and looked at them, but there is no way that they make sense for us, at least.

I have the 1003 Travel. It's an excellent thing but at the price it should be.

Yes it has lots of torque - the gentle application of power is essential.

The distance you can travel is of course directly related to speed. From memory mine will last over 2 hours at 2kn but only 40mins at 4kn. This is with a standard battery. Long trips in isolated places? Have an easily rowed dinghy.

Charging time at 12v is an overnight job.

The other issue is security. A battered outboard has a chance of being ignored - a shiny orange thing might not. You can of course take the battery with you when you park it up somewhere but it is heavy and the bag they provide has a shoulder strap rather than more preferable rucksack straps.

I think the performance details are on the website.
    Not all who wander are lost

We have had one for 4 seasons now.

We had a heavy 3m rib that wouldn't get up on the plane even with our 5hp 4-stroke so weren't expecting planing performance. The Torqueedo has probably been the best boat gadget I've ever bought - just beating the 1.99 hook and bungee luggage strap for keeping the main on the reefing hook while I go back to the cockpit to hoist it.

The two big hassles we wanted to stop were the heaviness of lifting down the 5hp, and the fact my wife didn't like starting it so I'd have to accompany her on every shopping trip ashore - and that petrol stations always seemed to be a long walk up a hill in blistering heat.

The Torqueedo is perfect for our kind of dinghy use - up to half a mile each way through an anchorage no more than maybe 3 times a day. The battery is light and easy to lift off by its handle and charges back 20% in a couple of hours through an inverter from the ships battery bank, so completely topped up after each trip. One handed passing of the 3 bits down into the dinghy.

They now have batteries with almost double the capacity of what we bought but we have only once been remotely concerned when we were nearly a mile from the town in a real chop so much more throttle than usual needed - fine for the return journey but we were due to go back for our evening meal only an hour or so later so worried a little about the second return journey - as it turned out the hour and a bit charging brought it back giving us a margin of 20% in the end.

For security we always have a chain through the battery handle and padlocked to the dinghy along with the body of the engine.

Downsides - long range use, bigger waves - so we have kept the 5hp (which gets our new 2.5m light ally rib on the plane) but use it very rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    We have had one for 4 seasons now.

We had a heavy 3m rib that wouldn't get up on the plane even with our 5hp 4-stroke so weren't expecting planing performance. The Torqueedo has probably been the best boat gadget I've ever bought - just beating the 1.99 hook and bungee luggage strap for keeping the main on the reefing hook while I go back to the cockpit to hoist it.

The two big hassles we wanted to stop were the heaviness of lifting down the 5hp, and the fact my wife didn't like starting it so I'd have to accompany her on every shopping trip ashore - and that petrol stations always seemed to be a long walk up a hill in blistering heat.

The Torqueedo is perfect for our kind of dinghy use - up to half a mile each way through an anchorage no more than maybe 3 times a day. The battery is light and easy to lift off by its handle and charges back 20% in a couple of hours through an inverter from the ships battery bank, so completely topped up after each trip. One handed passing of the 3 bits down into the dinghy.

They now have batteries with almost double the capacity of what we bought but we have only once been remotely concerned when we were nearly a mile from the town in a real chop so much more throttle than usual needed - fine for the return journey but we were due to go back for our evening meal only an hour or so later so worried a little about the second return journey - as it turned out the hour and a bit charging brought it back giving us a margin of 20% in the end.

For security we always have a chain through the battery handle and padlocked to the dinghy along with the body of the engine.

Downsides - long range use, bigger waves - so we have kept the 5hp (which gets our new 2.5m light ally rib on the plane) but use it very rarely.
    Thanks... so which Torqeedo do you have and does it plane your new smaller rib?

The 1003 - with the 550 TWU capacity not the current 950.

Can't imagine it planing the new one but haven't tried.

I've got the 1003 with the bigger battery. Two up in my 3.2m 3D "light weight" tender it won't plane. It's a great pottering outboard but if you want planing power then I think you'll be disappointed.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    I've got the 1003 with the bigger battery. Two up in my 3.2m 3D "light weight" tender it won't plane. It's a great pottering outboard but if you want planing power then I think you'll be disappointed.
    Yes, I'd agree. I have a 1003 Torqeedo, fabulous for wandering about, but not a performance motor.

Quote Originally Posted by northcave View Post
    Thanks... so which Torqeedo do you have and does it plane your new smaller rib?
    What you need is a bank of four of these on the back of your RIB.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BISON-ELECT...trolling+motor

With about a thousand Ah of lead acid batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by northcave View Post
    Quick Question:
    Has anyone used a Torqeedo outboard and let me know how they compare to petrol in terms of torque and power when rated to a similar HP?
    I had a Travel 1003 and it was substantially less powerful than my 2 stroke Tohatsu 3.5 hp outboard. My perception is it was around 1/2 - 2/3 the power.

Boo2

Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast