Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Ian, is it ok to partially charge a Torqeedo battery on a regular basis?
    Lithium batteries of this chemistry have very little in the way of "memory effect", so it doesn't matter much what state you charge them from, nor what state you charge them to. You don't have to flatten them before charging, nor fully charge them before use.

The more important effect on longevity is how you store them in the long term; unlike lead acid batteries this type "prefers" to be stored partially charged. In fact the Epropulsion battery self-discharges to about 80% after a couple of months, if it's been left in a higher state of charge than that.

Both types "lose" between 2 and 4% per year just by existing (as do all batteries), and whether it's 2 or 4% depends mostly on how they're stored - because they spend more time in storage than being used. So if you're putting one of these batteries away for more than, say, a month, ideally run it down a bit first, to somewhere between 50 and 80%. They also prefer not to be very hot or cold, but in the UK that doesn't tend to be much of an issue.

Ian Thomson
    Nestaway Boats

Surely the major disadvantages of a torqueedo are price, endurance and recharging. If you can put up with short trips, have plenty of dosh and a recharging system, they're are great. Otherwise, petrol is superior.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    Surely the major disadvantages of a torqueedo are price, endurance and recharging. If you can put up with short trips, have plenty of dosh and a recharging system, they're are great. Otherwise, petrol is superior.
    Does anyone make a 'poor mans version' of the Torqueedo, probably using a conventional car battery to power it but capable of giving realistically usable performance in a dinghy? The cheaper 'trolling motors' seem to me to be just that, a troll; for all their thrust claims they are usually pretty gutless when the going gets at all tough and you actually need the sort of power the Torqueedo produces. Is there no half way house with electric outboards? Environmental considerations (including the smell in the boot of my car) appeal, but like many eco friendly solutions, the cost of a Torqueedo is prohibitive for the amount I would use it.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by nestawayboats View Post
    Lithium batteries of this chemistry have very little in the way of "memory effect", so it doesn't matter much what state you charge them from, nor what state you charge them to. You don't have to flatten them before charging, nor fully charge them before use.

The more important effect on longevity is how you store them in the long term; unlike lead acid batteries this type "prefers" to be stored partially charged. In fact the Epropulsion battery self-discharges to about 80% after a couple of months, if it's been left in a higher state of charge than that.

Both types "lose" between 2 and 4% per year just by existing (as do all batteries), and whether it's 2 or 4% depends mostly on how they're stored - because they spend more time in storage than being used. So if you're putting one of these batteries away for more than, say, a month, ideally run it down a bit first, to somewhere between 50 and 80%. They also prefer not to be very hot or cold, but in the UK that doesn't tend to be much of an issue.

Ian Thomson
    Nestaway Boats
    Thank you very interesting!

Presumably you include smelly, polluting, noisy, more difficult to store, more difficult to start, heavier and more dangerous amongst petrol's superior characteristics.
    Jonathan / Aeolus

Price - absolutely a disadvantage - if price is important then I wouldn’t have gone for it. Recharging is easy even with 3 or 4 return trips a day of half a mile each way - the domestic battery bank is far bigger than the Torqueedos so inverter on and 10% an hour into the battery with not much impact.

And as we are rarely near a petrol station I don’t want to rely on a bus or a taxi to find one every now and again when I can effectively use sunlight as fuel.

And a Torqeedo’s charge can probably be stored longer than modern petrol can
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    Price - absolutely a disadvantage - if price is important then I wouldn’t have gone for it. Recharging is easy even with 3 or 4 return trips a day of half a mile each way - the domestic battery bank is far bigger than the Torqueedos so inverter on and 10% an hour into the battery with not much impact.

And as we are rarely near a petrol station I don’t want to rely on a bus or a taxi to find one every now and again when I can effectively use sunlight as fuel.
    I just charge mine direct from the boat's 12v batteries, using a DIY charging lead. I made the lead from an old laptop charger (the Torqeedo manual gives the dimensions of the plug).

Quote Originally Posted by nestawayboats View Post

Both types "lose" between 2 and 4% per year just by existing (as do all batteries), and whether it's 2 or 4% depends mostly on how they're stored
    I think you meant to say per month. Torqeedo say 3.6% per month in optimal storage conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I just charge mine direct from the boat's 12v batteries, using a DIY charging lead. I made the lead from an old laptop charger (the Torqeedo manual gives the dimensions of the plug).
    What rate to you get into the battery per hour - I get about 50 wh/hr by inverter and have been told direct 12v much slower.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast