Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 110
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch, Dorset
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Ian, is it ok to partially charge a Torqeedo battery on a regular basis?
    Lithium batteries of this chemistry have very little in the way of "memory effect", so it doesn't matter much what state you charge them from, nor what state you charge them to. You don't have to flatten them before charging, nor fully charge them before use.

    The more important effect on longevity is how you store them in the long term; unlike lead acid batteries this type "prefers" to be stored partially charged. In fact the Epropulsion battery self-discharges to about 80% after a couple of months, if it's been left in a higher state of charge than that.

    Both types "lose" between 2 and 4% per year just by existing (as do all batteries), and whether it's 2 or 4% depends mostly on how they're stored - because they spend more time in storage than being used. So if you're putting one of these batteries away for more than, say, a month, ideally run it down a bit first, to somewhere between 50 and 80%. They also prefer not to be very hot or cold, but in the UK that doesn't tend to be much of an issue.

    Ian Thomson
    Nestaway Boats

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    8,459

    Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

    Surely the major disadvantages of a torqueedo are price, endurance and recharging. If you can put up with short trips, have plenty of dosh and a recharging system, they're are great. Otherwise, petrol is superior.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    North from the Nab about 10 miles
    Posts
    8,666

    Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    Surely the major disadvantages of a torqueedo are price, endurance and recharging. If you can put up with short trips, have plenty of dosh and a recharging system, they're are great. Otherwise, petrol is superior.
    Does anyone make a 'poor mans version' of the Torqueedo, probably using a conventional car battery to power it but capable of giving realistically usable performance in a dinghy? The cheaper 'trolling motors' seem to me to be just that, a troll; for all their thrust claims they are usually pretty gutless when the going gets at all tough and you actually need the sort of power the Torqueedo produces. Is there no half way house with electric outboards? Environmental considerations (including the smell in the boot of my car) appeal, but like many eco friendly solutions, the cost of a Torqueedo is prohibitive for the amount I would use it.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SoF
    Posts
    6,754

    Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

    Quote Originally Posted by nestawayboats View Post
    Lithium batteries of this chemistry have very little in the way of "memory effect", so it doesn't matter much what state you charge them from, nor what state you charge them to. You don't have to flatten them before charging, nor fully charge them before use.

    The more important effect on longevity is how you store them in the long term; unlike lead acid batteries this type "prefers" to be stored partially charged. In fact the Epropulsion battery self-discharges to about 80% after a couple of months, if it's been left in a higher state of charge than that.

    Both types "lose" between 2 and 4% per year just by existing (as do all batteries), and whether it's 2 or 4% depends mostly on how they're stored - because they spend more time in storage than being used. So if you're putting one of these batteries away for more than, say, a month, ideally run it down a bit first, to somewhere between 50 and 80%. They also prefer not to be very hot or cold, but in the UK that doesn't tend to be much of an issue.

    Ian Thomson
    Nestaway Boats
    Thank you very interesting!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    655

    Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    Surely the major disadvantages of a torqueedo are price, endurance and recharging. If you can put up with short trips, have plenty of dosh and a recharging system, they're are great. Otherwise, petrol is superior.
    Presumably you include smelly, polluting, noisy, more difficult to store, more difficult to start, heavier and more dangerous amongst petrol's superior characteristics.
    Jonathan / Aeolus

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Greenwich
    Posts
    7,086

    Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    Surely the major disadvantages of a torqueedo are price, endurance and recharging. If you can put up with short trips, have plenty of dosh and a recharging system, they're are great. Otherwise, petrol is superior.
    Price - absolutely a disadvantage - if price is important then I wouldn’t have gone for it. Recharging is easy even with 3 or 4 return trips a day of half a mile each way - the domestic battery bank is far bigger than the Torqueedos so inverter on and 10% an hour into the battery with not much impact.

    And as we are rarely near a petrol station I don’t want to rely on a bus or a taxi to find one every now and again when I can effectively use sunlight as fuel.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SoF
    Posts
    6,754

    Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

    And a Torqeedo’s charge can probably be stored longer than modern petrol can
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

  8. #48
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    34,730

    Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

    Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    Price - absolutely a disadvantage - if price is important then I wouldn’t have gone for it. Recharging is easy even with 3 or 4 return trips a day of half a mile each way - the domestic battery bank is far bigger than the Torqueedos so inverter on and 10% an hour into the battery with not much impact.

    And as we are rarely near a petrol station I don’t want to rely on a bus or a taxi to find one every now and again when I can effectively use sunlight as fuel.
    I just charge mine direct from the boat's 12v batteries, using a DIY charging lead. I made the lead from an old laptop charger (the Torqeedo manual gives the dimensions of the plug).

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    34,730

    Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

    Quote Originally Posted by nestawayboats View Post

    Both types "lose" between 2 and 4% per year just by existing (as do all batteries), and whether it's 2 or 4% depends mostly on how they're stored
    I think you meant to say per month. Torqeedo say 3.6% per month in optimal storage conditions.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Greenwich
    Posts
    7,086

    Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

    Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I just charge mine direct from the boat's 12v batteries, using a DIY charging lead. I made the lead from an old laptop charger (the Torqeedo manual gives the dimensions of the plug).
    What rate to you get into the battery per hour - I get about 50 wh/hr by inverter and have been told direct 12v much slower.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to