Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I think you meant to say per month. Torqeedo say 3.6% per month in optimal storage conditions.
    Yes, that is what Torqeedo say you will lose per month of the energy that you left stored in it. Although we don't find they seem to lose as much as that, certainly not at lower states of charge; they come out of the factory at 30% and always seem to be at about 30% whether we open the box as soon as it arrives or three months later.

The 2 to 4% loss per year I was referring to, was of the battery's total capacity to store electricity (not its current state of charge). If it started new with a capacity of 1000Wh then after one year of existence - more or less regardless of how much it's used - its capacity would be somewhere between 980 and 960Wh. After two years somewhere between 960 and 920Wh.

All batteries lose some capacity just by existing. How much capacity they lose is largely dependent on how they're stored, ideally not fully charged in the case of lithium batteries (as covered in earlier post). There is also a charge cycle effect, but most leisure users never use them enough for that to be significant compared to the storage effect.

Ian, Nestaway Boats

What a great, informative thread, a big thank you to Nestawayboats for their contribution.
    At the moment I don't have any outboard, but do have a decent pair of long, sturdy oars. I've long been keen to try an electric outboard, but haven't yet been able to justify it. However, I might be about to move to a swinging mooring, if I do I'll be seriously looking at getting either the new Torqueedo 1103 or the e-Spirit.

Reasons to justify the expense include having an outboard that Mrs. Panda can start by herself, that we can easily lift to/from the dinghy, and the silence and cleanliness of it. To that I'll add the autonomy of being able to recharge it onboard rather than needing to carry (and find somewhere to buy) petrol. But in essence (see what I did there?), I'm hugely in favour of moving to electric motors and I accept that there's a price premium for being an early adopter.

Just a little advice from my experience, when I first changed from petrol to the Torqeedo I had a lot of problems. The Torqeedo kept hitting the beach when going ashore, it under performed and in the raised position it swung violently like a pendulum. But when I checked the specs, I found my transom was too low. After adding 3cm in height to the transom everything handles perfectly and I’m very pleased
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

CHARGING IN GENERAL

With apologies for not replying to the individual posts and trying to avoid technical language, I think this will cover most of it.

12V charging is most efficient in terms of getting energy from your yacht's battery bank to your outboard battery. The Torqeedo battery actually charges at a fixed current of 4 Amps, so if you happen to have your main engine running at the time the charging will be a bit faster because the voltage will be a bit higher (Volts x Amps = Watts). A lot of users find that only charging their outboard battery when the main engine is running is sufficient, for the amount they use the outboard. The Torqeedo battery will "accept" anything between about 11 and 26V, so if you have a 24V system it's twice as quick. The 12V lead is an option at £35 (mains charger is included).

The Epropulsion 12V charging is different in that the adapter does the conversion to the voltage that the battery wants externally, rather than within the battery (Torqeedo). At 12V the charging rate is roughly twice as quick as the Torqeedo. The Epropulsion "12V lead" is a more expensive option at £89 but it's actually quite a sophisticated DC-DC voltage converter/regulator and suitable for direct connection to other sources such as a solar panel too - it will convert almost anything you throw at it to what the battery wants. (Whereas the Torqeedo lead is exactly that, a piece of cable with the right ends on it.)

Mains charging is faster in both cases but if you're converting 12V DC to AC (to power the inverter) and then back to DC (for the charger), there are some losses so it is less efficient in terms of "moving" yacht battery charge to outboard battery. If you're plugged into the marina, or have abundant power on board, or are visiting a pub with an amenable (to you plugging your battery in) landlord, the speed is roughly double that of 12V charging for the Torqeedo (10 hours instead of 20, for the 915Wh battery), and up to 4 times as fast for the Epropulsion (2.5hrs on optional fast mains charger, 5.5hrs on standard mains charger, 10 hours on 12V charger, all for 1018Wh battery).

For those who are more technically minded, yes these are all roundings to nice easy numbers but a reasonable general indication of what to expect (intended to make it easier for those who aren't technically minded!).

Ian, Nestaway Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Just a little advice from my experience, when I first changed from petrol to the Torqeedo I had a lot of problems. The Torqeedo kept hitting the beach when going ashore, it under performed and in the raised position it swung violently like a pendulum. But when I checked the specs, I found my transom was too low. After adding 3cm in height to the transom everything handles perfectly and I’m very pleased
    That is why Epropulsion now offer an XS shaft version... whilst it is in theory more efficient to put the propeller in deeper, clearer water, in practice this is largely outweighed by the inconvenience of having to tilt it up much sooner than you'd expect, when coming in to a beach or slipway. (Or hit it on the bottom, damage the propeller, get it caught in weed, etc.) Almost everything in boating is a compromise!

Both brands offer L and S shaft motors, Epropulsion also offer an XS which suits better most (nearly all) inflatable dinghies up to about 3m long or so.

Ian, Nestaway Boats

Quote Originally Posted by nestawayboats View Post
    That is why Epropulsion now offer an XS shaft version... whilst it is in theory more efficient to put the propeller in deeper, clearer water, in practice this is largely outweighed by the inconvenience of having to tilt it up much sooner than you'd expect, when coming in to a beach or slipway. (Or hit it on the bottom, damage the propeller, get it caught in weed, etc.) Almost everything in boating is a compromise!

Both brands offer L and S shaft motors, Epropulsion also offer an XS which suits better most (nearly all) inflatable dinghies up to about 3m long or so.

Ian, Nestaway Boats
    I didn’t want to chance the Epropulsion because at the time I was having trouble with my Chinese made ebike, and there was no price advantage to make the risk worthwhile. But you make such a compelling case that I’m already regretting getting a Torqeedo

Hi Ian,

Great thread, slight thread drift but my Torqueedo lags for a few seconds when first twisting the throttle sometimes catching us out, is this normal.

Cheers
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Hi Ian,

Great thread, slight thread drift but my Torqueedo lags for a few seconds when first twisting the throttle sometimes catching us out, is this normal.

Cheers
    Adrian
    Adrian - yes a delay of a couple of seconds is "normal" for the 1003. As the delay is not there in Torqeedo's new direct drive 1103 (nor the direct drive only Epropulsions), we believe it to be deliberate, most likely to protect the gearbox (that the 1003 has and the other two don't) from the motor's instantaneous torque.

The real problem until you get used to it is the delay is long enough that you don't think you've put enough power on, so you put a bit more power on, and then it all comes at once...

As I say neither the Epropulsion Spirit nor the new-this-year Torqeedo 1103 have the delay. Engineering out the gearbox has eliminated this problem and nearly all the noise, but the advantage of the 1003's smaller faster spinning motor and reduction gearbox is that it's lighter than the other two.

Ian, Nestaway Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Hi Ian,

Cheers
    Adrian
    Mine does that too. It's a bit disconcerting...!.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala" under offer

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    Mine does that too. It's a bit disconcerting...!.
    I must say, I haven’t noticed it on my Torqeedo. I next time I use it I will look out for it

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast