Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: Torqeedo Outboards?

Quote Originally Posted by nestawayboats View Post

The real problem until you get used to it is the delay is long enough that you don't think you've put enough power on, so you put a bit more power on, and then it all comes at once...

Ian, Nestaway Boats
    Yes this is what has happened, takes a bit of getting used to! Apart from this we love it, the main reason for us changing is my wife couldnt pull start the 2 stroke because of a bad shoulder meaning I had to go with her everytime she wanted to go ashore, for us this was worth the price premium alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Yes this is what has happened, takes a bit of getting used to! Apart from this we love it, the main reason for us changing is my wife couldnt pull start the 2 stroke because of a bad shoulder meaning I had to go with her everytime she wanted to go ashore, for us this was worth the price premium alone.
    That was the unexpected benefit for us too - all the expected ones we paid all that money for, then the pleasure of afternoons aboard doing maintenance instead of getting squiffy in a bar while she shopped.

SHEAR PINS

Earlier in the thread there was mention that the Torqeedo 1003 shear pin breaks quite - maybe too - easily, although we believe this to be deliberate to protect the gearbox. The direct drive Epropulsion Spirit (which doesn't have a gearbox) doesn't seem to have the same issue, in our experience.

Torqeedo have recently announced a new direct drive model of their own, the 1103. We now have one of these in our hands and one of the things we noticed immediately on opening the box was that the 1103 shear pin appears to be a lot stronger than the 1003 shear pin. There are probably other factors I haven't thought of - material for one - but at first glance it seems that taking out the gearbox has given Torqeedo a lot more confidence in the strength of their drivetrain. The internals of the 1103 propeller also seem to be a lot more robust than the 1003 propeller (yes it is a different part number to the 1003 propeller, and no it won't fit the 1003!).

In this case, a picture really is worth a thousand words...

Torqeedo shear pin comparison.jpg

Ian, Nestaway Boats

SHEAR PINS

Earlier in the thread there was mention that the Torqeedo 1003 shear pin breaks quite - maybe too - easily, although we believe this to be deliberate to protect the gearbox. The direct drive Epropulsion Spirit (which doesn't have a gearbox) doesn't seem to have the same issue, in our experience.

Torqeedo have recently announced a new direct drive model of their own, the 1103. We now have one of these in our hands and one of the things we noticed immediately on opening the box was that the 1103 shear pin appears to be a lot stronger than the 1003 shear pin. There are probably other factors I haven't thought of - material for one - but at first glance it seems that taking out the gearbox has given Torqeedo a lot more confidence in the strength of their drivetrain. The internals of the 1103 propeller also seem to be a lot more robust than the 1003 propeller (yes it is a different part number to the 1003 propeller, and no it won't fit the 1003!).

In this case, a picture really is worth a thousand words...

Torqeedo shear pin comparison.jpg

Ian, Nestaway Boats
    So in fact what they are saying is that it no longer shears? Hit something with the prop and the drivetrain will stop. Remove the obstacle and carry on your way.
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

That is probably the case yes. It's therefore more a drive pin than a shear pin. The software will decide "I can't turn the propeller even if I apply the full 1000W" and stop applying the power whilst displaying an error code on the LCD. That would certainly apply to weed, rope etc. I think in extreme circumstances the drive/shear pin might break if you hit something really hard at full chat, and thereby stopped the propeller instantaneously.

Whilst we don't have any experience with the Torqeedo 1103 yet - we should have one on the water this afternoon - we do have lots of experience with the similar (gearbox-free, direct-drive) Epropulsion Spirit. We cannot say that the Epropulsion drive/shear pin never ever shears, but I am not aware of one breaking in the two years we've been involved with them. The pins are easily replaced on both makes, should you break them.

Ian, Nestaway Boats
    Last edited by nestawayboats; 21-03-19 at 09:48.

That is probably the case yes. It's therefore more a drive pin than a shear pin. The software will decide "I can't turn the propeller even if I apply the full 1000W" and stop applying the power whilst displaying an error code on the LCD. That would certainly apply to weed, rope etc. I think in extreme circumstances the drive/shear pin might break if you hit something really hard at full chat, and thereby stopped the propeller instantaneously.

Whilst we don't have any experience with the Torqeedo 1103 yet - we should have one on the water this afternoon - we do have lots of experience with the similar (gearbox-free, direct-drive) Epropulsion Spirit. We cannot say that the Epropulsion drive/shear pin never ever shears, but I am not aware of one breaking in the two years we've been involved with them. The pins are easily replaced on both makes, should you break them.

Ian, Nestaway Boats
    This is quite exciting for us electric fans I am very interested in whether the 1103 is better than the Epropulsion or it’s just catchup (still no floating battery?). Are Epropulsion planning an update?
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Sorry for slight drift but this seems to be the definitive Torqeedo thread. When I press the button to switch on my Torqeedo 1003, the GPS does not seem to switch on - e.g. if I set off, I do not get a speed reading. I have to switch the Torqeedo off and then on again in order for the GPS to start searching for satellites. Is this normal?

Jonathan
    Jonathan / Aeolus

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus View Post
    Presumably you include smelly, polluting, noisy, more difficult to store, more difficult to start, heavier and more dangerous amongst petrol's superior characteristics.
    For me I couldnt think of anything worse than an electric outboard but that is because here in the Caribbean where we have an average wind strength of 15/20kts in the anchorages and sometimes an awful lots more, the thought of not planing when there is a good chop would be a nightmare. Our small engine is a 10hp 2stroke and the big engine is 15hp.
    Getting wet in a small inflatable with small tubes and a small outboard whether its an electric or petrol is no fun. Its not an occasional thing, its an every day occurrence here if you dont have the correct tender and engine combination. Most people who arrive from Europe with a dinghy engine combination that was fine in the Med soon find the shortcomings once in the Caribbean. Most who decide to stay a few season soon end up with a rib and large two stroke engine.
    Once you have this kind of tender it opens up whole new opportunities here. You can go miles in comfort and quite economically as you are on the plane.
    I once spent three weeks in the Isles of Scilly with some other cruisers. We had a 9ft rib and Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke from our last Atlantic circuit. We dinghied about as a group of cruisers over the three week period. We used less fuel in our tender than the others in the group with small dinghies and small engines but we went far further. They were never on the plane but used lots of throttle to move along at snail pace. We used a small amount of throttle to plane and went several times their speed.

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    For me I couldnt think of anything worse than an electric outboard but that is because here in the Caribbean where we have an average wind strength of 15/20kts in the anchorages and sometimes an awful lots more, the thought of not planing when there is a good chop would be a nightmare. Our small engine is a 10hp 2stroke and the big engine is 15hp.
    Getting wet in a small inflatable with small tubes and a small outboard whether its an electric or petrol is no fun. Its not an occasional thing, its an every day occurrence here if you dont have the correct tender and engine combination. Most people who arrive from Europe with a dinghy engine combination that was fine in the Med soon find the shortcomings once in the Caribbean. Most who decide to stay a few season soon end up with a rib and large two stroke engine.
    Once you have this kind of tender it opens up whole new opportunities here. You can go miles in comfort and quite economically as you are on the plane.
    I once spent three weeks in the Isles of Scilly with some other cruisers. We had a 9ft rib and Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke from our last Atlantic circuit. We dinghied about as a group of cruisers over the three week period. We used less fuel in our tender than the others in the group with small dinghies and small engines but we went far further. They were never on the plane but used lots of throttle to move along at snail pace. We used a small amount of throttle to plane and went several times their speed.
    You’re probably not the target market for patio furniture either.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    You’re probably not the target market for patio furniture either.
    hahahaha. Gotta go down as one of the top 10 forum replies.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast