Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Day sailer re-think...

So... my planned purchase of a Swift 18 fell through at the weekend and so
    instead of feeling sorry for myself I am trying to put a positive spin on it and am hoping to find something even better!!!

The problem is I am a born-again newbie (I crewed a 60ft ketch for 6 months a lifetime ago as a teenager; and since then have only pottered about in a cack-handed fashion in Picos and occasionally fallen out of Lasers)...

What I want is a cruiser which:

- Costs between 4 and 5k
    - Will be stable, safe and unsinkable
    - Can accommodate two adults and two small children. Preferably wed be able to squeeze in and camp in her for max one night to make the weekend stretch... if I would squash 3 small children in like I do in my Campervan I wouldnt have to leave anyone with grandparents!!!
    - Has a lifting keel so were not such a hostage to the tides...
    - Is easy to maintain
    - Is simple and quick to rig. I know it is all relative, but Im learning pretty much from scratch so need something fairly idiot proof...

Depending on what I get Ill be keeping her at Hayling Island/Chichester way, pottering around those waters initially. All things being equal, Id like to keep on a mooring for the season then perhaps trail home for the winter (using a Volvo XC90)

Im sure there are a million things I should mention to help you help me, but... any thoughts/suggestions????

Many thanks in advance

Default Re: Day sailer re-think...

Anderson 22
    There I got in first!

Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Well I would say whichever small lift keel cruiser comes up for sale nearest to you the soonest (season approaches). So many to choose from in that price/size range all with their merits.

Don't be a slave to lifting keels. One may be ideal for your needs, but also consider twin keels, many of which have shallow draft and, in many case take the ground better than lift keelers.

A Snapdragon 24 or 474 would do very nicely for your needs. They're built like tanks, are very spacious for their size - a couple plus 2 kids would fit in comfort and should be within your budget. OK, they aren't the best boat to windward, but they'll look after you long after you're wishing you'd taken up golf instead.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

I'd echo Stemar above and suggest going for a twin keeler. Something like a Centaur would be pretty good - they appear to be astonishing value these days

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    He does indeed. Lovely sailing boat too.

I have a lifting keel bradwell 18, great wee boat for me, but despite the brochure saying it is a family cruiser,2 adults 2 kids, I couldn't imagine having any more than 2 adults in it!
    Mebbe a jag 22 or similar?
    As has been suggested, possibly look at twin keels and then your accom prospects look a lot better. You would get a leisure 23 for that budget.

I would thoroughly recomend a bilge keeler, Centaurs are a good buy but I would go for a Sadler 25, superb construction, great sailing and no horrible cabin headliner to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    Well I would say whichever small lift keel cruiser comes up for sale nearest to you the soonest (season approaches). So many to choose from in that price/size range all with their merits.
    Exactly what I did and now have a Jaguar 21 (in Chichester), very happy with it. You are welcome to come and have a look. They are plentiful and cheap. Lifting keel ideal for the beach.

Am I right in saying that the small Jaguar/Catalina designs have the highest production numbers of any sailing 'yacht'?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast