Default High Build varnish

I have had to strip the varnish from the top section - about 2 feet - of my spruce mast. The rest of the mast is in good shape and has 12 or more coats of Epifanes traditional varnish. I assume I just have to build up the coats on the top section in the normal way? Or can anyone recommend a high build product that will get me there quicker, and which I can perhaps then finish with the Epifanes?

Thank you

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: High Build varnish

This may or may not be what you want to hear. I like you am a true believer in Epifanes and many coats thereof. I would not have anything like as much confidence in a high build varnish.

I would ideally go for the 12 coats but an option if you don’t have time would be at least six coats of Epifanes and then a coat of undercoat and a coat of white gloss. That keeps everything safe and you can strip the paint and go back to varnish when you have more time.

Yes I think that’s it. I’ve come to the same conclusion really just hoping for some magic nonsense. I’ll get as many on as I can. There’s a fair chance the mast will be out again at the end of 2019 so we may be ok...

You could try Epithanes Rapid Clear which allows a quicker build up of coats.

I've heard a recommendation to use a product called Bondaseal Clear with three coats being applied fairly quickly over each other as a base coat to get an initial bit of film thickness before overcoating with lots of coats of trad varnish.

Quote Originally Posted by steve jones View Post
    I've heard a recommendation to use a product called Bondaseal Clear with three coats being applied fairly quickly over each other as a base coat to get an initial bit of film thickness before overcoating with lots of coats of trad varnish.
    I've used that. Smells great

I've it found it to last not so long BUT I've never varnished over it.

Out of interest is there a reason not to use epoxy and then over varnish that?

Basically because I’m just doing the top 2 feet of the mast. Maybe if I were doing an entire item I’d be more interested in trying a different system. But I’m a bit nervous about the way two different systems would meet

Some people use the supposedly magical Smiths Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. I tried it and the results were indifferent. Certainly not worth the exotic price tag. In my opinion anyway... although others swear by it. Also epoxy is broken down by UV so it needs lots of coats of proper varnish to protect it. Seems like a long way for a short cut....