Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Engine replacement cost

Good evening all.
    Does anybody have recent experience of re-powering a 30-35 ft. sailing yacht with a 20-35 hp Beta or Yanmar and if so how much did it cost?
    I know the swap will involve a complete stern gear set up in this case. Also vessel will be 20-40 years old so 'traditional' access issues may feature!
    Thanks in advance and safe sailing.

Default Re: Engine replacement cost

6 years ago, the boat-show price for a Beta 25 was ~4.5K, so say a total ~6K for all materials and DIY. Professional installation add say 50%, 3K???.
    More for the bigger engines. Not much less for the B20

13yrs ago my Beta 25 cost about 4500 including new prop, shaft, insulation, Volvo seal and new exhaust system. I did all the work myself with the installation verified by the local Beta engineer to get the warranty. I got a good deal at the London Boat Show for the Beta.

You will need to translate my costs into local currency... but less than a year ago I repowered my 34 footer with a new Betamarine 25.
    The engine (complete) in a crate with transmission, upgraded instrument panel, and optional 70 amp alternator and connections for my hot water heater tank cost me about 10K US$. I did most of the prep. work and helped our installer remove the old engine and install the new one. Approx cost for all of the install work was about $5K. (again, in US$).
    I also saved some money by doing the work at the slip; no fees for hauling out.

It's ironic that this marinized Kubota engine starts out in a big factory in Japan, goes to England, and then gets assembled with a combination of parts, some metric and a few from the US....
    Distributed back here to the East coast, and then shipped across the continent to me.
    "Global economy" indeed! This engine could almost have its own passport, with several stamps on it!

Good engine, tho, and VERY much quieter than the 30 year old diesel that I took out. Less vibration, too. Almost *never* needs the glow plugs to start, even down to less than 40 degree F.

Best of luck to you!

ps: I have some pix and description in my blog if you want the link.
    Last edited by PerformanceSailor; 02-03-19 at 01:59.
    Olson 34 "Fresh Air"
    Portland, OR USA

7 years ago French marine in brightlingsea Re engineed my 1972 30 footer with a 3 pot yanma.. new beds. Stern & shaft gear prop and morse cost 7.500 expensive but well worth it.

For us

A 1500 fee on top of engine cost, to swap out on a like for like engine. Plus swearing about access, for us.

Where costs escalate are on a non like for like swap. Look out for new bearers, cables, exhaust piping etc. adding cost if pipe work diameters are different.

My pal had a B20 in his Elizabethan a couple of years ago. The engine was about 4.5k other bits about 900 including a bigger prop. Installation he did himself and involved an angled ladder, ropes, blocks and timbers. Probably 2k to have installed professionally.

I swapped a 2GMF for a 3YM20. Same engine bed but needed 4 new fixing holes drilled and tapped, about 1" chopped off propshaft, exhaust hose shortened, old prop retained but changed to a posh feathering one this winter. Swap carried out by 2 septuagenarians in 1 day using a serendipitously placed skyhook and a chain hoist. Cost was new engine, less 900 for the old one on eBay, and 1400 for the twirly bladed prop.

I did a swap about 10 years ago and it cost something under 5000 - by doing all the work myself. The 20hp engine was about 3,700 at the time and I guess they are, perhaps 1000 more today. So I should say it could be done for under 6,000.
    However, all the systems were pretty good and I was able to reuse a lot of stuff including the prop, fuel tank and lines, insulation, exhaust run, engine controls etc.

By the way, I don't think special boat show deals apply in this day and age. Betamarine are always willing to cut a deal to get a sale. We visited their works and had a very informative discussion with their sales manager resulting in a purchase. My pal even got them to throw in a boiler suit and baseball cap.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast