Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Can I live on a 26ft Vega/Nic/Contessa/Sadler?

A dehumidifier is a real boon from October through to April I find. I just run mine (a Meaco dessicant type) on the low fan setting from bedtime until I get up in the morning and it keeps the cabin nice and dry and condensation free. For a 27 footer in a marina, I find a fan heater does the trick, as it is instant heat, even though I also have an Eberspacher. I would love a Refleks or Dickinson stove, but alas there's not much space available to mount one on my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie N View Post
    As others have said, you've many options. I've a Gypsy stove, about 6" square on my Folkboat, which is really very good at heating the living area, but most essentially at drying it. Gas and diesel heaters do introduce condensation and blown air heaters are quite hard on batteries I believe, if one's away from an electrical source. However, diesel is far more efficient by volume. However, I only used a 'few' kgs. of charcoal in summer when I've been living onboard for several months in the North of Scotland, and they took up very little space. As was said, the heat & warmth from a stove is far nicer than the clinical effect from a fan heater; and that's a good thing, as it adds to the experience of 'The Boat', which helps remove a few of the tribulations involved with residing on a smallish boat!
    I've no cool box on my boat for example, as I've a good bilge to store stuff in for the few days that it'll keep before I've either consumed it, or (rarely) it's gone off, which does mean that I do shopping a little and often, which is my way of life anyway.
    You're options are very broad, but good advice would be to start with the most easily reversed/replaced manner of doing it, which might be for you being (say) in a marina, with shore power, to utilise that whilst you enjoy the 'gentle' learning curve of this new way of living.
    I wish you luck, and keep us up to date with progress.
    All well said , we run our S29 like this , eber and fitted charcoal heater last season, good combo, and if you really want to you can top up last thing and it stays in easy all night shut down , but you might be tooo warm ,plenty of amps and a bit of solar helps too

Is installing a flu-type heater difficult? I can only surmise that it involves cutting through part of the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by ross84 View Post
    Is installing a flu-type heater difficult? I can only surmise that it involves cutting through part of the hull.
    For a natural draft flue, you would most likely go out through the coachroof or deck. The fitting will need to provide sufficient protection to the GRP. Sizes range from about an inch (for charcoal or paraffin fuelled heaters) to maybe 3" for the diesel drip feed types, to 4"+ for a woodburner. Location is critical because the natural tendency seems to be for the chimney to flow the wrong way- at least in my experience. So the outlet needs to quite high up, and in clear air. Probably the commonest location is on the coachroof, about level with the mast and as far to one side as possible.

A blown-air heater will have a forced exhaust which can be placed in various locations. This is a one inch flexible stainless pipe. Commonest location is on the transom, although I put mine in the outside of the cockpit coaming.
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Hi! I've just found your question and the thread after registering. Your initial question is pretty much what mine was going to be. My plan is to buy a 25 to 30 ft boat to live on. I am also used to small spaces to live in and have done tents etc. as well! I have been looking in to all this for about two years. I will have the money to be able to buy a boat and mooring fees in Wales for at least two years. Mooring fees are as much an expense as a boat in my opinion! I read an article a while back saying that securing a mooring is the first thing to get sorted, not the last. I often find that all the other bits of such a jigsaw-puzzle follow, if such a large chunk is completed first! The obvious thing being that there will always be boats for sail on mooring sites? It follows that if you are showing such a level of commitment, one may be taken more seriously as well. Anyway I will maybe open a new thread charting my thoughts on this and asking questions. One small detail I have noticed about small boat living: Maybe it is not so much the length of the craft, but the width? It appears that the 'cat-swinging' room can be considerably different with a 10ft beam!

27 foot Vega good for two tidy people or one a bit untidy,lived on a 15 footer one summer,but being young irons outproblems

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo58 View Post
    Mooring fees are as much an expense as a boat in my opinion!
    Marina fees are likely more than the boat costs (purchase and maintenance) over a few years.

Marina fees are the major concern really otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 32ft. Here in Liverpool city, the diff between a 26 and a 32 per month is about 55 pounds. That is 660 per year so it isn't a massive amount of money but it isn't (for me) small change either. Maybe I will compromise by buying a 29er.

You are right about the width too - so far I think I've settled on buying a Sadler - either a 26, 29 or 32. They're quite spacious down below given their shape, but when you look at something like a Colvic Watson 32 - you realise length isn't everything. I would rather live on a Watson of course but I guess comparing them to a Sadler isn't quite fair.

Give we're in the 'same boat' what sort of craft have you been looking at? I'm interested in Nic 26's (and the 32's look great too), plus Albin Vegas, Westerly's and of course the Sadlers - which to me seem like the best option given their reputation, sea keeping but livability too.

Do you know how to sail? That's the main thing which is between me and buying a boat

"Woz he pushed, or did he jump!?"......that could be a question asked at my future coroners inquiry.
    Back to the present. I've had enough of it all. Sixty years old....clever in many ways but stupid where it counts most, it seems. Had it all but failed to realised it. Lost it all, but still a fighter at heart. Currently living in a place I've grown to detest and want to head back to the freedom I could have embraced a while back, but didn't.
    Like a hunted stag, I am heading for water. I have considered canals, but the limitations and possible future problems have sent me to thoughts of the sea.
    Can I sail.......not really! However, there is nothing that I have put my mind to that I have not learned.....eventually. I have read lots of blogs, watched many Youtube things and decided that a boating life, at sea. is the answer to many things. I will open a new thread, with my thoughts, fears and ridiculously stupid questions in the next week. I will call it 'OMG...you want to live on a boat!?'
    On the actual boat front: I have been looking at....in no real order and bearing in mind I have virtually no money.......Sabre 27, Jaguar 27, Macwester 26, Westerly Fulmer, Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 26, Dufour 29.....and the legendary Westerly Centaur. My preference is for a bilge keel craft that will allow me to go just about anywhere. I am looking at Wales as a base, but north west England and Scotland could be possible. I have traveled a lot in my life, so relocating is not really a problem.

I used to own a Vega and have also done a fairly long delivery trip on a Sadler 26 so I can compare those two.
    The Sadler was nicely put together and behaved well under sail and power. But it is undeniably a smaller boat than the Vega. Partly this is because it's a foot shorter, but also the inner moulding and foam lining do reduce the amount of volume inside the hull. There is little cockpit locker space and some of the cabin lockers don't have the kind of space you would expect. I was surprised how much difference there was in internal space between the two boats, given how similar their overall dimensions are.
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast