Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 150
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    331

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Can you do the same thing for Spain as described for Portugal? (temp residency)

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bricks & mortar: Italy. Boat: Aegean
    Posts
    10,442

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Can you do the same thing for Spain as described for Portugal? (temp residency)
    Not only can you, but after remaining in Spain for more than three months, you're required to. This is true of most, if not all, EU countries, although the process seems to be particularly user-friendly in Portugal. Information about the process in all EU countries here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_en.htm

    Strictly speaking, you are not applying for temporary residency, since as an EU citizen you currently have that as of right (subject to the conditions indicated). You are simply registering your presence as a person exercising that right.

    Note the Article 50/Brexit caveats at the head of the page.
    All epigrams are false

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Mooring, Faro
    Posts
    1,692

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Can you do the same thing for Spain as described for Portugal? (temp residency)
    From what I understand, when obtaining Spanish residency the boat has to be matriculated, whereas in Portugal it doesn't.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Summer Walton, Winter Iberia
    Posts
    10,327

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Can you do the same thing for Spain as described for Portugal? (temp residency)
    My understanding is yes and there are plenty of liveaboards in Spain but not sure if you can use a marina as a residential address.

    Quote Originally Posted by One A. View Post
    Did the 'Brit sailor' say where he was tax resident?
    Didn’t ask and after 6 months in Portugal, they have now moved on but my impression was that they were traveling on British passports and were British tax residents.

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    From what I understand, when obtaining Spanish residency the boat has to be matriculated, whereas in Portugal it doesn't.
    Unlike Portugal, as a liveaboard in Spain, not sure if your boat (in a marina) can be a residential address for registration purposes so if checked afloat you are a ‘tourist’ and use another way (renting property ashore?) to get an address when registering.

    In Spain matriculation could become a problem if you were checked on board with the boat on a long term marina berthing contract. But this is not a Brexit specific issue.

    Possibly a liveaboard in Spain can give greater clarification.
    Last edited by nortada; 29-03-19 at 07:51.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bricks & mortar: Italy. Boat: Aegean
    Posts
    10,442

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Unlike Portugal, as a liveaboard in Spain, not sure if your boat (in a marina) can be a residential address for registration purposes so if checked afloat you are a tourist.
    It's probably rather moot in practical terms, but there is actually no requirement to have, much less prove, an address. This is true of both the generic terms for registration published by the EU, and those specified by Spain (which can be seen here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...n/index_en.htm

    The EU guidance list of the process and documents/evidence required nowhere mentions address, and concludes with "You do not need to provide any other documents."

    After all, I'm aware of no law in any of the countries concerned making it illegal to be of no fixed abode.

    When confronted with an official in a town hall, however, things are often different. We were certainly expected to show proof of address in Italy.
    All epigrams are false

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Summer Walton, Winter Iberia
    Posts
    10,327

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    Not only can you, but after remaining in Spain for more than three months, you're required to. This is true of most, if not all, EU countries, although the process seems to be particularly user-friendly in Portugal. Information about the process in all EU countries here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_en.htm

    Strictly speaking, you are not applying for temporary residency, since as an EU citizen you currently have that as of right (subject to the conditions indicated). You are simply registering your presence as a person exercising that right.

    Note the Article 50/Brexit caveats at the head of the page.
    As it says on the application form, in Portugal, strictly speaking you are registering for and getting temporary (5year) residency, with all of the privileges that that gives.

    Nothing to do with Brexit, it is believed, whatever the outcome of Brexit, in Portugal, the terms of temporary residency will not change.

    If it looks like duck and quacks, it is a duck.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bricks & mortar: Italy. Boat: Aegean
    Posts
    10,442

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Nothing to do with Brexit, it is believed, whatever the outcome of Brexit, in Portugal, the terms of temporary residency will not change.
    Overall, it's nothing to do with Brexit in the sense that residence is available (but not by right) for any third country nationals. As you'll be aware, Italy, along with Portugal, Spain and several other EU countries has announced and in some cases already legislated to allow UK citizens to preserve their residence status after a no-deal Brexit**. However, in the cases of Italy and, I suspect many others, this automatic right will only cover individuals who have at least got the residence ball formally rolling at the time of Brexit (or end of transition period, if there is one). If Portugal has extended its welcome beyond that, then that's excellent news.

    Even after Brexit, UK citizens will enjoy the same opportunities to settle in the EU27 as third country nationals do now (which is to say that it will be discretionary rather than of right and rather harder to obtain).

    Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.
    A useful dictum (excuse my edit: that's the form I know). As is: "Hope is the thing with feathers"

    P.S. ** This page (which I think has been linked before on here) spells out on a country-by-country basis the efforts made so far to sustain residence rights in the event of no-deal: https://ec.europa.eu/info/brexit/bre...mber-states_en
    Last edited by macd; 29-03-19 at 10:24.
    All epigrams are false

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Mooring, Faro
    Posts
    1,692

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    As it says on the application form, in Portugal, strictly speaking you are registering for and getting temporary (5year) residency, with all of the privileges that that gives.

    Nothing to do with Brexit, it is believed, whatever the outcome of Brexit, in Portugal, the terms of temporary residency will not change.

    If it looks like duck and quacks, it is a duck.
    The terms may not change as far as the Portuguese are concerned but remember, you have been granted residence whilst a Citizen of the EU. Whether UK citizens will still be able to obtain residence as easily when no longer citizens, we will have to wait and see.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bricks & mortar: Italy. Boat: Aegean
    Posts
    10,442

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Whether UK citizens will still be able to obtain residence as easily when no longer citizens, we will have to wait and see.
    We may have to wait, but I think seeing this bit of the future is fairly clear. Ultimately UK citizens who don't have existing residence credentials will become simply third country nationals. In which case see the "Even after Brexit.." par in post #37. Anything else is a unicorn eating a cake
    Last edited by macd; 29-03-19 at 10:25.
    All epigrams are false

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Summer Walton, Winter Iberia
    Posts
    10,327

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    Overall, it's nothing to do with Brexit in the sense that residence is available (but not by right) for any third country nationals. As you'll be aware, Italy, along with Portugal, Spain and several other EU countries has announced and in some cases already legislated to allow UK citizens to preserve their residence status after a no-deal Brexit. However, in the cases of Italy and, I suspect many others, this automatic right will only cover individuals who have at least got the residence ball formally rolling at the time of Brexit (or end of transition period, if there is one). If Portugal has extended its welcome beyond that, then that's excellent news.

    Even after Brexit, UK citizens will enjoy the same opportunities to settle in the EU27 as third country nationals do now (which is to say that it will be discretionary rather than of right and rather harder to obtain).

    A useful dictum (excuse my edit: that's the form I know). As is: "Hope is the thing with feathers"
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    The terms may not change as far as the Portuguese are concerned but remember, you have been granted residence whilst a Citizen of the EU. Whether UK citizens will still be able to obtain residence as easily when no longer citizens, we will have to wait and see.
    All true but I am unaware of any 3rd world yottie being refused registration; especially as it is a legal requirement (often ignored by EU citizens). Possibly, registration is embedded in the visa application?

    Of course, currently Brits (in keeping with all EU citizens) do not require visas and there is some suggestions that this will still exist post Brexit.

    Only time will tell.
    Last edited by nortada; 29-03-19 at 10:33.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to