Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    As in most other EU countries, I expect pensioners get free health cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanbasset View Post
    Do they give free health cover to all pensioners, including those who have recently moved to a EU country from countries not in the EU, seems unlikely to me
    Seems unlikely to me
    Sorry, I should have been more explicit.

As in most other EU countries, I expect pensioners from other EU countries get free health cover.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

As in most other EU countries, I expect pensioners from other EU countries get free health cover.
    Thanks for the clarification

Quote Originally Posted by jordanbasset View Post
    Thanks for the clarification
    To add further clarification, it's not necessarily free health cover, but health cover at the same cost to the patient as levied on resident nationals of the country in question: basically, the local NHS set-up, which varies from country to country.
    All epigrams are false

macd has qualified it above and I suspect most States require non-working immigrants to either contribute or, have private cover. Let's just hope the free health care and their EHIC continue in Portugal when (if ever) we're no longer EU citizens.

P.S. If/when health care becomes terminal and you fall off your perch, has your will been amended to include this - The EU Succession Regulation (EU 650/2012). If not, your estate will be handled by country of residence rather than under UK law. Most EU States have laid down succession laws about who gets your estate.
    Last edited by Graham376; 01-04-19 at 15:26. Reason: additional txt

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    If/when health care becomes terminal and you fall off your perch, has your will been amended to include this - The EU Succession Regulation (EU 650/2012). If not, your estate will be handled by country of residence rather than under UK law. Most EU States have laid down succession laws about who gets your estate.
    Interesting, what happens if (as in Portugal), it is possible to have dual residency?

See England/Wales and Ireland have not signed up to EU650/2012 but Scotland has.
    Last edited by nortada; 01-04-19 at 17:27.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    P.S. If/when health care becomes terminal and you fall off your perch, has your will been amended to include this - The EU Succession Regulation (EU 650/2012). If not, your estate will be handled by country of residence rather than under UK law. Most EU States have laid down succession laws about who gets your estate.
    A good point, Graham, overlooked so far. In Italy the inheritance default is an equal share amongst survivors/offspring (which, as in France and no doubt other places, is a reason many farms became so tiny). To avoid the default, whatever that might be, requires a will properly drawn up; or, in Italy and perhaps other countries, a "holographic will", which is simply handwritten. Google will describe the format.
    All epigrams are false

Interesting, what happens if (as in Portugal), it is possible to have dual residency?
    Perhaps it's wherever your corpse has residence?
    All epigrams are false

See England/Wales and Ireland have not signed up to EU650/2012 but Scotland has.
    If you read the various links which come up on Google search, several spell out the position. It doesn't matter that UK hasn't signed up, what matters is whether your country of residence has. Portugal is a signatory and we had our UK solicitors draw up wills with the declaration that we wish our estate handled under UK inheritance law. Not sure how a UK registered boat would be handled, unlike Spain it isn't matriculated but, we also have property in Portugal. Portuguese inheritance law dictates IIRC that 50% goes to spouse and the other 50% is shared out between spouse and children, whether legitimate or not. Under normal circumstances, none can be excluded under a will, even if estranged.

Quote Originally Posted by One A. View Post
    BigJoe, have you made any claims??
    Yes, we actually took out 2 years ago, so we get annual MOT (preventative health tests) and some dental work, along with an MRI and some reabilitation work.
    It's nice to be important........ but more important to be nice

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoe View Post
    Yes, we actually took out 2 years ago, so we get annual MOT (preventative health tests) and some dental work, along with an MRI and some reabilitation work.
    I only ask because we had some very expensive insurance thinking it would be the bees knees, but I fell foul in Turkey on a tecncality, and they refused to pay, with state health care that wouldn't happen.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast