Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 143
  1. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Gone Sailing -on the move exploring SE Asia
    Posts
    1,810

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    This is my understanding but having recently met a Brit sailor, who has residency in Portugal, Spain, France and Greece, understand it is possible to get residency in more than one EU country at the same time.
    You can be a resident in Multiple countries. However, you need to consider that being a resident in a country usually means you have to pay tax in that country. You may, therefore, be subject to tax on the same income in multiple countries.
    Temptress of Down
    Check out our Blog

  2. #72
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Summer Walton, Winter Iberia
    Posts
    9,293

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by temptress View Post
    You can be a resident in Multiple countries. However, you need to consider that being a resident in a country usually means you have to pay tax in that country. You may, therefore, be subject to tax on the same income in multiple countries.
    I understand that a number of EU countries require you to resister if you intend to be in their country for more than 90 days and failure to comply can carry a significant fine.

    However, those same countries will permit you to reside for up to 183 days per annum in their country with no tax implications. Moreover, some countries have treaties with the UK that precludes double taxation but if you stay longer than 183 days you may be required to submit a tax return on your income world-wide and have to pay tax on any earnings accrued in their country or not taxed elsewhere.

    This is a generalisation and as every country it’s own policy on taxation, carries a health warning that you need to discretely investigate the situation in your host country.

    For example, if as a resident in Portugal, you elect to be taxed in Portugal rather than the UK and are in receipt of a UK state pension and government pension, your state pension will be taxed in Portugal, whereas you UK government will be still taxed in the UK but not in Portugal. In effect this will mean you will be able to enjoy tax relief on these pensions in the respective countries, or to put it another way, cumulative tax relief.

    For those interested, advice on Portuguese Tax is at https://www.blevinsfranks.com/news/a...landscape-2019. As you will see, Portuguese levels of taxation are lower than in the UK.

    Possibly those with greater knowledge than me will be prepared to qualify my observations?
    Last edited by nortada; 11-04-19 at 06:41. Reason: ADD GREATER DETAIL
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bricks & mortar: Italy. Boat: Aegean
    Posts
    10,431

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by temptress View Post
    You can be a resident in Multiple countries. However, you need to consider that being a resident in a country usually means you have to pay tax in that country. You may, therefore, be subject to tax on the same income in multiple countries.
    In practice, that's rarely true and a tad irresponsible to allege. First, residence and tax liability are not the same thing. But you can indeed be resident in multiple countries and you may conceivably have to pay tax in more than one of them. But, as Nortada writes, where double taxation treaties apply, you will not have to pay tax twice on the same income.

    The UK has double taxation treaties with around 130 countries (or roughly two-thirds of all countries). I believe most, if not all, EU27 countries have double taxation treaties with the UK (and with each other**). Anyone interested enough can easily check here: https://assets.publishing.service.go...April_2018.pdf

    The linked document also gives chapter and verse on which types of income are taxed where (i.e, country of residence or country where money earned, which are the two principle factors). It's possible, for instance, for an individual to have one pension taxable in the UK and another, of a different type, taxable in another country of residence.

    The 183-day rule mentioned by Nortada is a guide, not an absolute. The main issue is where you are "established". This is rather fuzzy and hard to define, and best done so by an accountant.

    ** this page gives a precis of double taxation policy within the EU: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...n/index_en.htm
    Last edited by macd; 11-04-19 at 08:23.
    All epigrams are false

  4. #74
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Summer Walton, Winter Iberia
    Posts
    9,293

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    In practice, that's rarely true and a tad irresponsible to allege. First, residence and tax liability are not the same thing. But you can indeed be resident in multiple countries and you may conceivably have to pay tax in more than one of them. But, as Nortada writes, where double taxation treaties apply, you will not have to pay tax twice on the same income.

    The UK has double taxation treaties with around 130 countries (or roughly two-thirds of all countries). I believe most, if not all, EU27 countries have double taxation treaties with the UK (and with each other**). Anyone interested enough can easily check here: https://assets.publishing.service.go...April_2018.pdf

    The linked document also gives chapter and verse on which types of income are taxed where (i.e, country of residence or country where money earned, which are the two principle factors). It's possible, for instance, for an individual to have one pension taxable in the UK and another, of a different type, taxable in another country of residence.

    The 183-day rule mentioned by Nortada is a guide, not an absolute. The main issue is where you are "established". This is rather fuzzy and hard to define, and best done so by an accountant.

    ** this page gives a precis of double taxation policy within the EU: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...n/index_en.htm
    And in some countries the rules regularly change, so even accountants can find themselves out-of-date on countries other than their own.

    As would be expected, most of my comments are based on life in Portugal so possibly, I should add that to date Portugal takes a very laid back approach to visitor registration/residency and personal taxation - but post 31 Oct 19 that could all change (but I rather doubt it. ).
    Last edited by nortada; 11-04-19 at 08:35.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Mooring, Faro
    Posts
    1,396

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    The 183-day rule mentioned by Nortada is a guide, not an absolute. The main issue is where you are "established". This is rather fuzzy and hard to define, and best done so by an accountant.
    No problems in Portugal so far, neither of us has ever submitted a tax return and my wife is a citizen. She had a routine on-line enquiry a couple of months ago and when tax office was asked, was told (again) as no income there don't bother doing returns. I've never been asked. Possibly, if we had investments or savings interest there, the position may be different.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Summer Walton, Winter Iberia
    Posts
    9,293

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    No problems in Portugal so far, neither of us has ever submitted a tax return and my wife is a citizen. She had a routine on-line enquiry a couple of months ago and when tax office was asked, was told (again) as no income there don't bother doing returns. I've never been asked. Possibly, if we had investments or savings interest there, the position may be different.
    This is the response we hear regularly.

    And then there is the Golden Visa but that is outside the scope of this thread.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Athens Greece
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    Yes. We are in Greece, and hoping to get temporary residency to cover next winter. After that, knowing the Greeks, it will be old news and no-one will be bothered as long as we don't make a nuisance of ourselves.

    All those countries listed above have entry restrictions at least as strict as the EU. What we need to know is which ones turn a blind eye. Not Montenegro or Turkey in my experience.
    Yes ???

  8. #78
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Sorry to jump on this thread but cant see how to start a new one. I have the chance of buying a UK boat on a mooring berth in costa del sol. It does not sail so a floating apartment as such. Any advice as to what I need to look out for esp with bretix ? thanks

  9. #79
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Summer Walton, Winter Iberia
    Posts
    9,293

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by alex2526 View Post
    Sorry to jump on this thread but cant see how to start a new one. I have the chance of buying a UK boat on a mooring berth in costa del sol. It does not sail so a floating apartment as such. Any advice as to what I need to look out for esp with bretix ? thanks
    Welcome to the YBW Forum✔️

    Possibly you want to go to :- http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...019-amp-Beyond.

    There are loads of other threads on this topic on this forum but because nothing is happening on the Brexit Front, these threads lie dormant.

    As a starter, you could consider registering for temporary residence (5 years) that may smooth your path should Brexit ever happen. Again there is loads about this on the link above.

    Although, the boat is in Portugal, as a family, we have property in Andalusia so have bit of a handle on events across the Iberian Peninsular.
    Last edited by nortada; 31-05-19 at 06:06.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    In the Euro zone, not Poundland.
    Posts
    3,378

    Default Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

    Quote Originally Posted by alex2526 View Post
    Sorry to jump on this thread but cant see how to start a new one. I have the chance of buying a UK boat on a mooring berth in costa del sol. It does not sail so a floating apartment as such. Any advice as to what I need to look out for esp with bretix ? thanks
    You might want to look into weather you need a licence, even if the boats not going anywhere.
    Last edited by One A.; 31-05-19 at 09:26.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to