Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The Sailing Dutchman - interesting bit of history

I visited the museums at Lelystad last year. There was a lot about the Afsluitdijk and reclaiming the polders but I don't recall this event being mentioned. Perhaps the Flevolanders don't care what happens in North Holland?

Thread drift for which I apologise.
    I visited Leylystadt and Flevoland as part of my Masters in Urban and Regional Planning. We were shown a map of the polders and when they were created. I saw very clearly how they had changed with each passing generation. Getting larger and larger each time with fewer and fewer settlements. What also struck me is how the road network was changing with each new polder as transport technology changed from horse and cart, to canal, to train to motor vehicle. In short, the map showed how all economic activity and urban form is governed by the transport paradigm.

Enough philosophy, the vid was lovely.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

In reply to Norman E my copy of “Facts and Figures - the IJsselmeer Polders”, states that polders are drained via canals dredged when the Land is still under water and when the water table is reduced to 1m or 1.5m below ground level, enclosed Land is first seeded with reed by aircraft, and when capable of bearing the weight of caterpillar tracked vehicles is then ( after say 5 years) planted with Colza which has apparently “from time immemorial” been used as a specific reclamation plant.
    Later ( but my pamphlet does not say how much later) grain crops of wheat barley and oats generally follow, before the ground is mature enough to support “more intensive development”.
    So there you have it!

Flevoland is an amazing place to drive through. There are a few "mounds" here and there. Thay are old shipwrecks.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12