Default Seagrass survey, Scilly July - August

One of the UK marine natural history societies is carrying out a seagrass survey from 29 July to 2 Aug in the waters of the Isles of Scilly.

The people involved are very professional and highly qualified, and have been very helpful in relation to a problem with slipper limpets and pacific oysters in Plymouth.

Just FYI.
    Last edited by sarabande; 05-03-19 at 07:51.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Default Re: Seagrass survey, Scilly July - August

Interesting. The bias of the results will depend very much on who is doing it. It's curious that nobody appears to have checked out Studland's eelgrass systematically recently following NGMs ranting about 'devastation' in recent years. If you know of anything recent on Studland I would appreciate a pointer. DEFRA are too busy with Brexit, and I am told the MCZ department is now down to two Civil Servants, all the rest having been moved over to Brexit work. All we get is the promise of an announcement 'later in the year'
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

We have also had "Guest Appearances" of Seahorses in the Exe, according to a recent report of the Exe Partnership Forum.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

3 days? ? That’s going to be a quick survey and certainly not enough time to see all of it and there are large areas of the stuff. . . . . . . . . I can save them the time as from simple observation there’s more of it now than ten years ago, there job done.
    I need vitamin Sea

Of course it's silly: seahorses don't get scurvy!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Of course it's silly: seahorses don't get scurvy!
    Of course not, they live on lemongrass...
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by oldharry View Post
    Interesting. The bias of the results will depend very much on who is doing it. It's curious that nobody appears to have checked out Studland's eelgrass systematically recently following NGMs ranting about 'devastation' in recent years. If you know of anything recent on Studland I would appreciate a pointer. DEFRA are too busy with Brexit, and I am told the MCZ department is now down to two Civil Servants, all the rest having been moved over to Brexit work. All we get is the promise of an announcement 'later in the year'
    So its ok to drill for oil in Studland bay but not anchor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-47290198

Quote Originally Posted by Ian h View Post
    So its ok to drill for oil in Studland bay but not anchor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-47290198
    But of course! "Corallian did admit that the area in the vicinity of the drilling location is a winter and summer ground for native seahorse species.

But it added: "Various aspects of the proposed drilling activity that have the potential to impact the seahorse population have been assessed and, taking into consideration the short-term and temporary nature of the activity and with the identified mitigation measures in place, seahorses are not predicted to be significantly impacted."

NGM is spitting teeth and is selling the idea there will be a major oil spill from this rig, which as it does not intend to bring any hydrocarbons to the surface seems a bit far fetched. Any oil extraction would be by horizontal drilling from the existing facilities on shore
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk