Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Has anyone taken temporary residency in Greece recently?

What is the procedure? Are liveaboard marina addresses being accepted?

Any tips appreciated. I'm based in Corfu.

Default Re: Has anyone taken temporary residency in Greece recently?

I have residency here in Corfu (House), but it was a long time ago that we did it. The process involved an initial temp residency for 5 years, then on it's expiry, we were issued a permanent residency.
    All done at the police station, but I think you must have a Greek tax number.
    Not sure of today's process though.

You'll find lots of info on the Facebook Corfu Grapevine or the Corfu Grapevine Forum, Groups.
    Regards.
    Last edited by Cariadco; 07-03-19 at 06:40.

Update on my previous post:

Just spoke to some liveaboard friends in the marina, who have just got their Residence:

They went to the Police station, near town (in the old Hospital) and took Passports, Photographs, Proof of having a Greek Bank Account, their EHIC (the replacement for the old E111) and photocopies of everything.
    It took about a week and they had no problems at all.
    Regards,

Many thanks Cariadco, I can do that next week. Hope it is still straightforward.

You shouldn't normally need a Greek bank account although as always in Greece different places apply the rules slightly differently.

I would encourage any UK sailor to register (that's what this process is, it's not temporary residence, it's registration as an EU citizen living in another EU country for more than 90 days) before Brexit Day (whenever that turns out to be). It costs nothing but your time (and a couple of passport photos) and it could make a big difference depending on what kind of a Brexit we get.
    Mostly harmless....

Assuming one obtains a Greek registration and the UK leaves without a deal..... Where does one stand on the 90 days in 180 rule? OK while in Greece I assume? But what would be the situation if, having driven to Greece in May, entering the EU at France, then driving home at the end of the season, exiting the EU via France ones passport, having been swiped by French boarder police in May would now be swiped again in Oct and show 5 or 6 months in EU. Would a Greek registration card satisfy the French (For French read EU) boarder police?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    Assuming one obtains a Greek registration and the UK leaves without a deal..... Where does one stand on the 90 days in 180 rule? OK while in Greece I assume? But what would be the situation if, having driven to Greece in May, entering the EU at France, then driving home at the end of the season, exiting the EU via France ones passport, having been swiped by French boarder police in May would now be swiped again in Oct and show 5 or 6 months in EU. Would a Greek registration card satisfy the French (For French read EU) boarder police?
    Another "what if" to add to the list. But I would expect the French to be reasonable if one was just passing through.

If you choose to drive out, of more concern is that according to the rules, new residents are required to switch to a Greek driving licence. But I know a good few ex-pats who haven't.

Incidentally it proved very easy to get my temporary Greek residency, it took about a week and the immigration officer could not have been more helpful. The cost ... 30 Eurocents.
    Last edited by AndrewB; 01-04-19 at 15:06.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    Another "what if" to add to the list. But I would expect the French to be reasonable if one was just passing through.

If you choose to drive out, of more concern is that according to the rules, new residents are required to switch to a Greek driving licence. But I know a good few ex-pats who haven't.

Incidentally it proved very easy to get my temporary Greek residency, it took about a week and the immigration officer could not have been more helpful. The cost ... 30 Eurocents.
    We've been resident in Crete since 2012 and went through the initial registration process back then (the buff card) and 'upgraded' to permanent residence (the blue card) last year. We've also recently been through the exchanging driving licenses saga - it's by far the most complex of all the procedures we've been through, not helped by a jobsworth in the transport department of the local prefecture here.

For reasons I won't bore you with I had occasion to revisit the local police (the people who issue the registration/residency cards) and I was asking them about driving licenses and whether, if there was a no-deal Brexit on 29th March, we'd have problems using our UK driving licenses here after then. The police were amazingly laid back about the whole thing and said that everyone (from any country) can drive on their home country license for up to 6 months in Greece, after that you are supposed to change. They also said that they know Brexit is a mess and that nobody knows yet what the actual status of UK nationals in Greece will be and even whether we'll need to exchange licenses at all, so they (the police) are adopting a calm 'wait and see' approach and they assured me that no UK national will have any problems driving with a valid UK license until (probably) 6 months after the status of UK citizens is finally clarified.
    Mostly harmless....

Glad to hear Greece seems so relaxed about driving licences, Tony (assuming the police advice is more consistent than from their colleagues in the port police ). The UK position/advice on EU licences in the event of no deal was updated a week or so ago. Latest here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-...u-after-brexit

It's clear that the position regarding EU/EEA licences in the UK is rather more relaxed than the other way round. One would hope that reciprocity might moderate that in due course. In the meantime it remains HMG's advice for UK citizens resident in the EU to exchange their UK-issued licence for a local one. For most people there seems to be no down-side to this, other than the hassle of doing it. You'll be entitled to a UK licence should you ever return, "provided you passed your driving test in the UK or another specified country".

P.S. Just happened across this, in a Dutch government website, regarding their no-deal policy: "holders of UK driving licences who were already resident in the Netherlands before Brexit will be able to continue to drive on their UK licences for a maximum of 15 months after Brexit, provided the licence is still valid. During this 15-month period, it will still be possible to exchange a UK driving licence for a Dutch driving licence."

So practice clearly varies within the EU27.
    Last edited by macd; 02-04-19 at 12:02.
    All epigrams are false

Just been to Town Police in Prevaza today with all appropriate documentation, photocopies, passport size photos etc and basically told to go away and come back in 3 months. Oh, and btw you need to register in Vonista not Prevaza if using one of the 3 boatyards over the water as a postal address.
    We got the distinct impression that no one had ever asked the question at that office before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast