Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Has anyone taken temporary residency in Greece recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    Just been to Town Police in Prevaza today with all appropriate documentation, photocopies, passport size photos etc and basically told to go away and come back in 3 months. Oh, and btw you need to register in Vonista not Prevaza if using one of the 3 boatyards over the water as a postal address.
    We got the distinct impression that no one had ever asked the question at that office before.
    In Agios Nikolaos here there are two police offices; the real police and the 'tourist' police. The latter is the one that has all the offices related to residence etc. if you go to the other police station they will just shrug. Perhaps that's the issue you had?
    Mostly harmless....

Perhaps...... well there was certainly no shortage of shrugging going on

We just successfully applied and received the temp residency card in Vliho.

Docs required were passports, EHIC cards, completed application form, bank statements (individual or joint) showing >€3750 balance for each applicant. Though we did later find some info on line that said the balance had to be €4000.

We applied as retired people.

It took less than one hour and we did it at the local police station.

We need to do further research but we believe that it needs renewing in two years.

No charges were made.

Garold

We were told, in no uncertain terms, that one could only apply AFTER 3 months in Greece. All depends on the police person at the time I guess? Was an address in Greece required all?

We used the pontoon address. You could use the winter boatyard/ marina address. But then I believe that you need to use the local police station close to that address. (Nb. Not port police).

He seemed more interested in the ID doc, EHIC, and particularly the bank balance.

Garold

Thanks for that. Greek bank account or U.K. one? I suppose Yacht club addresses would work?

We used printed pdf of recent monthly statements from each of our UK bank accounts. If you are a couple and it is a joint account I believe that (from another applicant we met) this is satisfactory too.

I think the address just has to be a local one that you could stay at/notionally get post and fills the space on the form.

G

Many thanks, will give it a go.

All sorted, although I'm unclear as to what rights this now bestows.

https://brexit.gov.gr/uk-citizens-in-greece/

http://kasatkinalaw.com/en/residence...-citizens.html

https://www.discusholdings.com/resid...mit-in-greece/

Well done. We found these links to shed some light on our new rights but there appears to be small differences.

The first one though is from a gov website and it appears to confirm that for us Brits it offers protection from the reduction to 90/180 when we Brexit.

I also read that the residency means that however long you stay in Greece, it does not use up any Schengen days.

It looks that the Greek govt has decided that they want the Brits to continue to visit and stay in Greece, spending money that has been earned elsewhere, even if it’s pension money. Quite a smart move with little cost to Greece.

It looks like it has to be renewed every two years though, which I think will just be to show that you still have independent finance, though the EHIC card may be an issue if this system ends.

Garold.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast