Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Volvo Penta KAD300 oil change

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
    Dobrodošao u YBW

VDS-3 is a more up to date spec for the oil.
    There are various choices - Volvo oil, Shell Rimula, Mobil Devlac etc.
    I use the Volvo oil.

Change the oil filter at the same time.
    Filter wrench to remove, a little oil around the filter base then re-fit hand tight.
    Check oil level and for any leaks after first run and top up / tighten if needed.

Get one of these, or something similar to extract the oil, having warmed up the engine.
    Pump a few times, drink tea or coffee or beer, read the boat magazine, and all the oil comes out.
    Thanks!!
    I'll definitely get some sort of pump!

Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    Hi,

You are new to the KAD300 I understand. Be aware .... tappets must be checked every 200 hours. Very important or it can be costly. Very solid engine when well serviced. Happy boating.
    Tappets?! English is not my primary language. Do you mean those elements on valve, push rods?

Hi Tonci

below is a link to an archived page from this forum kindly created by Spannerman of this forum.
    the kad 44/300 engines have 4 valves per cylinder linked by a bridge piece that slides up and down on a metal rod. It is very important that the bridge is kept carefully adjusted @ 200 hours and the tappet clearance adjusted afterwards (the common adjustment screw found on the rocker arms where they contact the valve push rods).
    If the adjustment is not done, the metal rod can snap resulting in a lot of bad things happening.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/in.../t-115129.html

it's probably not a beginners job, but if you have done engine tappets before and you are happy taking the fuel injection pipes off, reassembling, bleeding etc, you should be OK.
    by coincidence I am doing mine tomorrow. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12