Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Remote operated fuel shut-off valves

Quote Originally Posted by rosssavage View Post

My old Princess has a rather neat, simple as it gets solution - the tank cocks are located at the rear of the saloon, under hatches by the patio doors. As you leg it out of the saloon, just reach down, lift the carpet and close the valves.

No lever, Bowden cable, solenoid, just really sensible citing of the fuel cocks that every boat has
    Depends , depends
    I prefer the main out to engine cock to be as low as poss on the tank .This means in the ER .This is because I can occasionally pull off the pipe / rubber fuel hose to drain / inspect the bottom area of the tank , check all is well .
    So “down there “ it needs a Bowden cable .

So let me get this straight you are turning of a cock just under saloon / cocklpit level - right ?
    Is there a hose to that ? From lower down which might burn through?
    Or is the out to engines drawn from the top of your tanks ? Hence the high cock just under a floor board??
    If so how would you say draw it bit off checking for water or bug etc ??

Drawn from the top of the tanks via internal stand pipes, copper pipe work to cocks - no rubber hoses.

Both tanks have sump drains, so fuel contamination checks easy peasy

The sump drains are also connected across ship with a tank balance pipe, which is closed both ends with cocks again. I only open the balance pipe valves whilst fuelling.

KISS.

A simple pull system that requires nothing other than someone pulling on the lever/wire.

Even in our big vessels it is a valve that is 90 degrees to off by one simple turn.

W.

I think I would be asking the insurance company. why?
    Certainly I agree with getting a difrent surveyor who is not such a dick. I would be tempted to ask which standard he is referring to if requiring a fuel shut off.
    If your boat is compliment with EU or British requirements at time of build why is it a requirement now.
    Your boats a 32 ft diesel power boat. I would think this would be a rare fitting in most boats of this sise. Certainly not an easy retro fit.

If it were a new build I would say it was a good idea. Fit a proper remote closing valve. Preferably activated from the same location as your remotely operated fire system.
    I don’t know if you would say they are the best. Most quick closing fuel valves are spring loaded gate type valves activated by a hydraulic or pneumatic activator which release the spring. Standard on comercial vessel fuel systems. Expensive overkill for a 32ft pleasure boat. Unless you intend to upgrade the entire fuel system.
    I would think it’s kind of pointless putting an expensive remote operated spring loaded quick closing valve into a rubber fuel line.

You can bodge it with a simple wire pull. Ball valve, Which will require a hole drilled through something. Probably at least 1 wheel to get the direction of the pull right. I suppose this is in keeping with my bodged hole to put a fire extinguisher nozzle in.
    Still just a bodge it job. Not something I would realistically expect to work in an actual fire.

There are electrical solenoid valves for water systems. I couldn’t see any rated for fuel system. Even so I think it would work much better than a ball valve. Though eventually may lead to starting problem if it’s tied to ignition. When the solenoid or current to the solenoid fails your engine will shut down.
    Last edited by Uricanejack; 09-03-19 at 02:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
    I think I would be asking the insurance company. why?
    Certainly I agree with getting a difrent surveyor who is not such a dick. I would be tempted to ask which standard he is referring to if requiring a fuel shut off.
    If your boat is compliment with EU or British requirements at time of build why is it a requirement now.
    Your boats a 32 ft diesel power boat. I would think this would be a rare fitting in most boats of this sise. Certainly not an easy retro fit.

If it were a new build I would say it was a good idea. Fit a proper remote closing valve. Preferably activated from the same location as your remotely operated fire system.
    You can bodge it with a simple wire pull. Which will require a hole drilled through something. I suppose this is in keeping with my bodged hole to put a fire extinguisher nozzle in.
    Which is still just a bodge it job.
    It really is not that of difficult after fit and may well save the boat in the even if an engine room fire. It's a valve per supply line, a few feet of wire cable and a posh pull handle if that's what you want.

In the event of a fire remove the oxygen and now remove the fuel source and use the extinguisher of choice.

W

My thanks for the ideas and links which I shall pursue further.
    Cheers, dcr

I am not sure of the effectiveness of using “plastic “ sheathed cables in the event of a fire having seen them afterward but the alternative is galvanised outers which unless regularly moved can seize.

Many surveyors do have certain almost hobby horses it would appear I wonder if they have the bite marks also?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12