Default paint systems for Canewodon Witch

I want to repaint my boat. Wooden Holman 26. Its currently dark blue topsides, white boot-stripe and red antifoul. Im going for the dull classic combo of green antifoul, white topsides and gold boot-stripe. I'm going to use international varnish (Compass) on the mahogany brightwork. I will burn off (or sand all the topside paint)
    Ive been looking at the various undercoats and the like for International; they seem a bit complex. I was wondering if the other paint companies, eg Hemple or Epifranes were any simpler or if there was any one paint that was recommended. The boat is on a swinging mooring, gets sailed a bit, no racing though.

thanks

Default Re: paint systems for Canewodon Witch

I use Jotun Vinyguard Primer and Pioneer Topcoat. These were recommended to me by Eddie at SML paint. I asked him if I should be using a 2 pack and he said that the one pack Vinyl paint was cheeper and better for wooden hulls. I always respect a supplier who recommends something cheeper than what you ask for.

Good things about this paint is that it's not too expensive, drys reasonably quickly and very importantly retains a degree of flex so it can accommodate small movements in the wood. Also, when you need to touch up, the new paint slightly dissolves the previous layer so you know it has stuck really well. The only negatives are that it's thinned with xylene which is a fairly nasty chemical and getting a really shiny and smooth top coat finish is tricky because the paint is quite thick. The best way is to have one person applying paint with a roller and a second quickly following with a brush.

Definitely use heat to get the old paint off. I'm lucky enough to have a heat shrink gun which is super quick but a decent heat gun would do the trick.

I would recomend Epifanes, it is the best. Dont be tempted to use hempels multicoat it is soft & doesnt last 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith 66 View Post
    I would recomend Epifanes, it is the best. Dont be tempted to use hempels multicoat it is soft & doesnt last 5 minutes.
    i've gone for International. I'm relatively pleased with the choices. the Anti Foul Micron 33 is great, the green is really vibrant. I have not go to the top coat side of things but the primer (Prekote) is great and the varnish (Compass) seems to be ok, though the mirror finish is a bit elusive. the transom i have done in DeksOil; it looks the business really pleased.
    I have a new bronze propeller and through-hulls. I'd like to not antifoul them. is this an issue? The pintles, and propshaft are stainless if that makes an issue.

International do several shades of off white as I remember which is what I used last time I painted my 'classic' and cream of course. I had off white on the topsides and cream for the coach roof which looked ok. Red boot top. Anything but snow white! … my pics look white but are in fact off white, alas I can't remember what they called it but I think they have good colour charts on-line
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kingfisher 5; 22-06-19 at 13:43.

I've been using International Toplac for a long while and find it easy to use, tough and covers well.

The undercoat/primer is Pre-Kote which I find excellent, covers well, dries quick and isn't too tough to wet flat back for a top finish.