Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Yay. Patrick Laine is back :)

...a complete lack of pretension. Which my dictionary tells me means: " the use of affectation to impress others"
    Surely not on this forum ;-)[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Poey50 View Post
    First rule of navigation - try not to get stuck up your own digestive tract.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    Funnily enough, your posts send my bullshit barometer into the red.
    Oh hell...I've been rumbled! It was only a matter of time...
    Last edited by 12 Year Plan B-); 14-04-19 at 20:41.

Quote Originally Posted by 12 Year Plan B-) View Post
    Is avoiding bad weather difficult with a ceiling of 50,000 ft. and speeds up to mach 2?
    What makes you think the majority of time is spent at FL500 and M2?

FWIW CB’s get much higher than that, depending on geographic location. What sailors have to contend with on the surface is just one facet of the dangers a CB poses to aviators. I can promis you, when you are at the very edge of the envelop for the aircraft and it still isn’t enough, is a very scary place to be.

I have photo’s taken over Florida of CB anvil’s way above me. I had nothing left. They were forming below and growing so rapidly, options to avoid were disapearing like falling skittles. The radar was showing nothing but red for 180 NM’s and turbulence and icing was getting interesting. We were along for the ride, nothing more.
    Last edited by Achosenman; 14-04-19 at 06:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    What makes you think the majority of time is spent at FL500 and M2?

FWIW CB’s get much higher than that, depending on geographic location. What sailors have to contend with on the surface is just one facet of the dangers a CB poses to aviators. I can promis you, when you are at the very edge of the envelop for the aircraft and it still isn’t enough, is a very scary place to be.

I have photo’s taken over Florida of CB anvil’s way above me. I had nothing left. They were forming below and growing so rapidly, options to avoid were disapearing like falling skittles. The radar was showing nothing but red for 180 NM’s and turbulence and icing was getting interesting. We were along for the ride, nothing more.
    Indeed...I am quite sure having nerves of steel is an essential attribute for fighter pilots!

I don't presume to have much knowledge of aviation matters, but...

...is not an operational ceiling of 50,000 ft+ sufficient to enable jets to fly above Thunderheads? I thought commercial airliners routinely do this when e.g. crossing the ITCZ??? And fighters have anti-icing, yes?...and when all else fails, ejector seats?

No enmity here Achosenman: I am honestly, simply, curious...

All the best
    Last edited by 12 Year Plan B-); 15-04-19 at 01:18.

Yay Tiger Woods is back. Sincerely hope his victory irritates the racist orange **** in the Whitehouse...who, incidentally, cheats at golf.
    Last edited by 12 Year Plan B-); 15-04-19 at 08:10.

Quote Originally Posted by 12 Year Plan B-) View Post
    Indeed...I am quite sure having nerves of steel is an essential attribute for fighter pilots!

I don't presume to have much knowledge of aviation matters, but...

...is not an operational ceiling of 50,000 ft+ sufficient to enable jets to fly above Thunderheads? I thought commercial airliners routinely do this when e.g. crossing the ITCZ??? And fighters have anti-icing, yes?...and when all else fails, ejector seats?

No enmity here Achosenman: I am honestly, simply, curious...

All the best
    Off topic for a second. Short answer is no. We use the radar to avoid them. With radar you can work out the tops. They can and do punch up above FL500. Aircraft ceiling on the day, is weight dependant. Too much fuel etc means you can’t reach the FL anyway. Climbing over the lower cells is a rookie mistake. CB’s can grow at rates that exceed aircraft climb rates. That was one of the issues we had when we got vectored up the proverbial creek by Jaxx center.

Air France lost an airframe with all souls on board killed while trying to fly over a CB when transiting the ITCZ a few years back. CB’s destroy aircraft...simple as.

Service pilots are picked on ability and suitability then trained. They don’t usually come from wealthy families.

Respect Achosenman

A classic.

If the absolutely stunning scenery doesn’t do it for you the shirt will

I didn't care for his early videos but that was very good, he has evolved.

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.

Unknown harbour arrival stress.

I can really relate to that.

Excellent

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456