Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Default Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

Owners who may wish to move their boats from / to the Med may be interested in the following and plan accordingly....

https://www.britishmarine.co.uk/News...VQ_Kz05jcw5CTg

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/ne...SDmtiZfUnXo-yg

Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

What happens if VAT was paid in a remaining EU country, and the vat certificate is issued by that country, and the boat is remaining in the EU?
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

Ex-pat UK owners that can demonstrate previous UK VPS on returning to the UK can have import VAT relieved under Returned Goods Relief (RGR) subject to the following conditions:
    o Imported normally within three years of its export (although HMRC are very flexible on this – we have seen one allowed RGR after seven years)
    o Imported by the same person who exported it
    o The vessel has undergone no more than normal running repairs, maintenance etc (i.e. not works to increase the value)

So if you bought a vat paid boat abroad you can’t bring it back as you were not the original exporter. Likewise if buying a med boat you can’t bring it back- many in here do buy abroad.

I can’t really see the logic as the U.K. will then get vat twice ( which if fine for the U.K. but not it’s citizens!)

Logically if I had a boat on the south coast I would export it the day before brexit. Give it union status the. Bring it back the following day and re import.

This then gives union and U.K. status which must be worth a few litres of diesel. Book your marina space now as I suspect it will prove attractive to many given the ability to then take the boat to the med or sell it to any eu buyer without hassle.
    Last edited by jrudge; 10-03-19 at 10:46.

So have I interpreted the “no deal” scenario correctly in thinking that my UK registered boat currently in Mallorca won’t have any additional tax burden as long as I don’t seek to bring it back to the UK when it may be subject to import duty with UK VAT already paid?

It would be subject to vat unless the circumstances were as listed in the paste of the article below. It is possible some relief is granted post brexit to keep everyone happy ( they could say U.K. vat once paid would be retained - but no doubt this could open up another can of worms).

Re import duty that would depend if the U.K. imposed tariffs on imports from the eu.

It seems to me that we should think of all this as "Union Status", Import and Export.
    Thinking of it as VAT just muddies the water.
    Any taxes are import taxes.

And if all this fails, there is always the TI (Temporary Import - 18 month) rules.

I'm no expert but this is how I see it.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 10-03-19 at 20:13.

Quote Originally Posted by MedDreamer View Post
    So have I interpreted the “no deal” scenario correctly in thinking that my UK registered boat currently in Mallorca won’t have any additional tax burden as long as I don’t seek to bring it back to the UK when it may be subject to import duty with UK VAT already paid?
    Thats how I see it.
    When we originally bought our 20m Princess, I thought she was too big to ever bring back to the UK so I don't think I will be affected by this stuff.
    However, there is the 90 day rule that we will also also hit us.

Union Status/Import/Export is all about the boat.
    The 90 day rule is about us as individuals.
    And thats another issue.

What is the 90 day rule? I googled it and I’m pretty sure what showed on the search results isn’t what you are referring to!

Quote Originally Posted by MedDreamer View Post
    That's my understanding too. I'll be interested to see if Brexit will stifle the movement of boats to and from the Med. Coast2Coast might be impacted and I wonder if it will have any bearing on used boat prices?

You're only allowed to be in the eu for a max of 90 days in any 180 day period.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast