Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 106
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

    Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Ex-pat UK owners that can demonstrate previous UK VPS on returning to the UK can have import VAT relieved under Returned Goods Relief (RGR) subject to the following conditions:
    o Imported normally within three years of its export (although HMRC are very flexible on this Ė we have seen one allowed RGR after seven years)
    o Imported by the same person who exported it
    o The vessel has undergone no more than normal running repairs, maintenance etc (i.e. not works to increase the value)

    So if you bought a vat paid boat abroad you canít bring it back as you were not the original exporter. Likewise if buying a med boat you canít bring it back- many in here do buy abroad.

    I canít really see the logic as the U.K. will then get vat twice ( which if fine for the U.K. but not itís citizens!)

    Logically if I had a boat on the south coast I would export it the day before brexit. Give it union status the. Bring it back the following day and re import.

    This then gives union and U.K. status which must be worth a few litres of diesel. Book your marina space now as I suspect it will prove attractive to many given the ability to then take the boat to the med or sell it to any eu buyer without hassle.
    The overwhelming advice clearly looks to say that if you want your boat in the Med then get it to the Med before April 12th, from which date it has Union status and thus is deemed VAT paid. And vice versa of course. Otherwise one could be liable to to paying VAT twice as many have pointed out. This of course seems quite unfair especially as the "divorce" bill is calculated based upon the financial obligations to and from the EU (pensions, ongoing commitments etc etc). that will continue as a result of 40 years of economic and financial ties. It would not seem unreasonable to assume that for all existing boats ie one's that have paid VAT when part of an EU of 28 not 27, that there would be grandfathering, as this is the essential principle of the divorce payments we seem to be signing up for and will almost certainly have to pay even if we crash out, unless I suppose that Boris Johnson assumes control and drives the bus into the wall. However in the words of the Adam Smith, the father of capitalism - since the thread seemed to divert into a debate on such, ďThere is no art which one government sooner learns of another than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.Ē Sadly this applies to all countries, not just ours, and is a reason he also argued that one of the most productive activities one could undertake was to fairly avoid tax.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

    "Effect on Used boat prices"

    I'm amazed there hasn't been more discussion on this - How many £M's of boats based in the UK won't be able to be sold in future to the EU unless the purchaser is willing to pay an additional 20% VAT. All the RYA focus has been on status of cruisers/Med based boats (who can operate a work around after 18 months by "Leaving for a day" either back to the UK or Turkey/Tunisia if in the Med). This is going to affect everyone with a boat in the UK when they come to sell (or buy if they want to buy a boat from the EU in future).


    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    That's my understanding too. I'll be interested to see if Brexit will stifle the movement of boats to and from the Med. Coast2Coast might be impacted and I wonder if it will have any bearing on used boat prices?

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- SoF
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

    I’ve never really understood why a proposed Med boater would buy a U.K. boat and take it to the Med anyhow in normal circumstances anyhow .
    Bit like buying a Merc or BMW and taking it to Germany ! Why not buy one there ?
    What the Germans are to cars the Italians are to boats there’s a modal for everyone .

    A lot do though I realise that , but it feels counterintuitive.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South of France.
    Posts
    4,033

    Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

    Will somebody please start and anchor thread? …..
    _______________________

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sant Carles de la Rŗpita
    Posts
    6,823

    Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher 5 View Post
    Will somebody please start and anchor thread? …..
    You mean something like
    "What anchor should I fit to my UK based boat when I take it to the Med?"
    That should cover it.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Me Cheltenham, boat Sant Carles de la Rapida
    Posts
    493

    Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    You mean something like
    "What anchor should I fit to my UK based boat when I take it to the Med?"
    That should cover it.
    That will depend if you are taking it to the Med before or after Brexit.

    There may well be VAT implications and that may dictate how much you may be able to afford for a new anchor.

    GL
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.........

  7. #97
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    52,346

    Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

    Quote Originally Posted by KTY View Post
    "Effect on Used boat prices"

    I'm amazed there hasn't been more discussion on this - How many £M's of boats based in the UK won't be able to be sold in future to the EU unless the purchaser is willing to pay an additional 20% VAT. All the RYA focus has been on status of cruisers/Med based boats (who can operate a work around after 18 months by "Leaving for a day" either back to the UK or Turkey/Tunisia if in the Med). This is going to affect everyone with a boat in the UK when they come to sell (or buy if they want to buy a boat from the EU in future).
    I disagree. I think in all likelihood, there will be an agreement between the UK and EU that recognises that all goods on which UK(ie EU) VAT was paid before Brexit day remain EU VAT paid after Brexit day. If you think about it, if this were not the case, its not only boats but all other goods that would be affected. In theory then if you went on holiday to the EU after Brexit day, everything you had on you would be subject to EU VAT on entry into the EU like your car, your caravan, your camera, your watch etc etc. So its not going to happen

    For goods exported to the EU from the UK on which UK VAT has been paid after Brexit day, the problem will either not exist anyway if we remain in the Customs Union or UK VAT will be reclaimable on export from the UK and then payable on import into the EU so that VAT will not be payable twice. In fact as has already been pointed out this creates an opportunity for UK boaters to buy a boat in the UK, reclaim VAT on export and keep a boat in the EU VAT not paid under temporary importation rules

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sant Carles de la Rŗpita
    Posts
    6,823

    Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    If you think about it, if this were not the case, its not only boats but all other goods that would be affected. In theory then if you went on holiday to the EU after Brexit day, everything you had on you would be subject to EU VAT on entry into the EU like your car, your caravan, your camera, your watch etc etc. So its not going to happen
    Isn't that exactly why the 18 month TI rule exists?

  9. #99
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Jersey/Antibes
    Posts
    22,358

    Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    I disagree. I think in all likelihood, there will be an agreement between the UK and EU that recognises that all goods on which UK(ie EU) VAT was paid before Brexit day remain EU VAT paid after Brexit day. If you think about it, if this were not the case, its not only boats but all other goods that would be affected. In theory then if you went on holiday to the EU after Brexit day, everything you had on you would be subject to EU VAT on entry into the EU like your car, your caravan, your camera, your watch etc etc. So its not going to happen

    For goods exported to the EU from the UK on which UK VAT has been paid after Brexit day, the problem will either not exist anyway if we remain in the Customs Union or UK VAT will be reclaimable on export from the UK and then payable on import into the EU so that VAT will not be payable twice. In fact as has already been pointed out this creates an opportunity for UK boaters to buy a boat in the UK, reclaim VAT on export and keep a boat in the EU VAT not paid under temporary importation rules
    Not sure I go along with all that.

    Re first para, I hope there is an agreement as you say but the UK isn't great at agreements with the EU. As Hurric says, the 18mth TI system will deal with your chattels on holidays.

    Ref yr 2nd para, there is no reclaim on export. There is merely a zero rate of VAT ab initio if the goods are delivered outside the territory when new. Unless there are fundamental changes to VAT law, which I doubt will happen, then a boat used (by a normal end user consumer) for say 1 year in UK and UK VAT paid will require a second payment of VAT if then taken to EU, with no recovery of the first payment. I agree this problem probably doesn't occur if UK stays in a customs union.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Jersey/Antibes
    Posts
    22,358

    Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

    Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    I’ve never really understood why a proposed Med boater would buy a U.K. boat and take it to the Med anyhow in normal circumstances anyhow .
    Bit like buying a Merc or BMW and taking it to Germany ! Why not buy one there ?
    What the Germans are to cars the Italians are to boats there’s a modal for everyone .

    A lot do though I realise that , but it feels counterintuitive.
    Erm, you did with 50% of the boats you've ever owned

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to