Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by MedDreamer View Post
    What is the 90 day rule? I googled it and I’m pretty sure what showed on the search results isn’t what you are referring to!
    As I understand it, a nonEU resident will only be allowed to stay in the EU for 90 days.
    Then after 90 days, that nonEU resident will have to wait another 90 days before being allowed back into the EU.
    So, if you enter the EU (say) on April 1st you can come and go as much as you like over the next 90 days but after 90 days from April the 1st, you will have to wait 90 days before coming back.

I'm still not very clear how this works but I don't think any EU country like Spain or France will implement it.
    This is a link to a calculator for visiting Schengen countries:-
    It would probably be similar:-
    https://ec.europa.eu/assets/home/vis...or.htm?lang=en

Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

Oh that’s a bit of a bugger!

Not an issue for us at the moment but we plan on spending more time in Mallorca from next year when we retire so need to understand more about this

No. It is 90 days in 180 days. Not 90 days from entry.

You can come and go. It just must not add up to more than 90

You need to be careful when you first enter as that sets the date pattern

Sorry it’s in Spanish but it says that you have to register with the Spanish authority for a certificate of registration if you want to stay more than 3 months (90 days) after Brexit of course.....the people have spoken!!
    http://extranjeros.mitramiss.gob.es/...ios/index.html
    Last edited by DavidJ; 10-03-19 at 23:25.

What if - Guernsey resident, Guersney Part 1 registered, VAT paid. Note the Channel islands are not part of the UK nor the EU - the RYA has not yet replied to my query.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

After 3 years outside of the eu it looses its vat paid status anyway ( but the article links did say that HMRC have granted it for longer periods if you were the original exporter).

Unless you move it to France for a few days it wonít be in the eu. So I suspect the only option left is re import to U.K. if less than 3 years.

As I understand it, the requirement to register after 90 days exists now, it's not a Brexit issue, but itís 90 continuous days!

The way I,am reading the tea leaves in the cup is along the lines of quote Mr Barnier and other EU negotiators is ——
    “We don,t want to effect the domestic arrangements as such to make people suffer hardships that weren’t there before Brexit “ or words to that effect .
    I think both side are heading towards reciprocal arrangements.

The numbers stack up in the UK favours
    3.2 M EU citizens stay in Britain ( other than holidays ) and only 1.2 M UK stay longer than hols in the EU , with a massive on top 18 M Brits visiting Spain annually.

Irrc something like 200000 or is it 400000 French live in London and regularly commute with pets / cars etc .

I,am thinking mini deals as we go along lots of them .
    Eg the Swiss ( not in the 27 group) a few weeks ago Liam Fox was in Geneva and they signed a straight “ as is now “ reciprocal arrangements in the event of Brexit re poeple stuff and trade for that matter - just rolled over what’s in place now .Interrestingly the Spanish recognising there tie with the U.K. broke ranks from the “ we stick together Mr Barnier “ sermon and basically smoothed the path to reciprocate .

With out checking I think certain other 3P states have generous ( more than your 90 in 180 ) visa free I think as well Schengen access like Australia, NZ , sort of trusted countries.

In other words playing silly 8uggers with citizens access work or pleasure will effect the EU 27 more than the UK and they are at pains not to change much .

So relax sit back hold tight and watch the show unfold

Quote Originally Posted by Asm View Post
    As I understand it, the requirement to register after 90 days exists now, it's not a Brexit issue, but itís 90 continuous days!
    Some may require you to register. But that is registration ( which they canít refuse) not a time limit. Free movement. You can currently stay as long as you want

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Some may require you to register. But that is registration ( which they canít refuse) not a time limit. Free movement. You can currently stay as long as you want
    Yes, thatís my understanding as well!
    Re stay as long as you want - things get more complicated past day 183 (in a calendar year) further complicated by the lack of a defined day in Spain!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast