Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    And why do you see questions as you do (it was a question) and then follow up with an insult about growing up. You also use the phrase by anyone...….. Who have you asked to be so sure or do you know every ones mind.

I asked a perfectly reasonable question got an answer from the OP to which I replied and you came on and started with the insults
    I thought he was a bit rude too! Perhaps he's one of those types who lives his life through Twitter!

Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher 5 View Post
    I thought he was a bit rude too! Perhaps he's one of those types who lives his life through Twitter!
    I think the topic was obvious to everybody who has contributed to the many threads on different bits of the forum, given their replies, so thought it was a bit of an irrelevant question and a bit judgemental but the question just needed a simple answer.

just so that im clear on this,

So the boat ive just bought, last Sept, in the UK, and went to great lengths to ensure it had proof of VAT paid status, will be liable for VAT once i take it to the Med (unless i now ensure its already in, say France, on the day if/when we leave the EU)?

Would i literally just need a mooring receipt from a French port dated which ever day we leave the EU (no requirement relating to how long beforehand it was actually there)?

How i love this country. I cant even arrange the pet passports yet until I know whats happening thanks to our esteemed leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by rboater2018 View Post

So the boat ive just bought, last Sept, in the UK, and went to great lengths to ensure it had proof of VAT paid status, will be liable for VAT once i take it to the Med (unless i now ensure its already in, say France, on the day if/when we leave the EU)?

Would i literally just need a mooring receipt from a French port dated which ever day we leave the EU (no requirement relating to how long beforehand it was actually there)?

How i love this country. I cant even arrange the pet passports yet until I know whats happening thanks to our esteemed leaders.
    And of course a Democratically held election
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

As things stand now on the explanation we have been given yes.

It will be U.K. vat paid but the eu will only regognise it as such if it is in the eu at the point of brexit. There is no minimum time. It is either in the eu or it is not. If the med is your plan then I would run it to France a few days before brexit ( whenever that is)

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    It will be U.K. vat paid but the eu will only regognise it as such if it is in the eu at the point of brexit. There is no minimum time. It is either in the eu or it is not. If the med is your plan then I would run it to France a few days before brexit ( whenever that is)
    Lets be clear about this though. First as you say nobody knows when Brexit day is going to be and second, assuming there is an orderly Brexit, there will be a transition period after Brexit day during which nothing changes, including presumably, the VAT regulations. Although that transition period is currently supposed to last until the end of 2020, IMHO it will last a lot longer because negotiating trade deals generally takes many years so the VAT issue may not arise for several years. Even then a trade deal may include mutual recognition of VAT status

The real problem only comes if we leave the EU without a deal and again IMHO that is looking increasingly unlikely. In fact I dont think it was ever likely

If your boat was in the UK on Brexit day, you could use the TI (Temporary Import) rules in the EU for 18 months.
    And I believe that you can sail out and back and have another 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    Don't feed the troll....
    +100

There is quite a lot of stuff written here that is just assumption and guesswork. Even the links in OP are based on law not yet written, vague comment from EC which isn't law, and as the RYA writer admits," assumptions". A lot of this assuming seems to have been done by people who aren't familiar in enough detail with the law as is, so the assumptions aren't great. Sorry to rant and I don't have time for a long post.

But let's not forget upsides, which is relevant to the uk vs med thread. Post brexit, it is very likely that for a UK based boater things work like this:

1. you can buy a new boat to keep in uk for £1m + UK 20% vat. £1.2m cash cost. All good, apart from weather.
    2. Or buy exact same boat but take delivery in Gibraltar. Then sail it to a marina in Spain or France or Italy and keep it there. Cost of boat is now only £1m. You have to sail it out of EU for one marina night every 18mths. Quite easily if you're in Spain near Gibraltar or Morocco. If you're in SofF and choose Tunisia, its 450 miles via nice Sardinia and a bottle of wine with Mapism .

I'm not a bexiteer but this is an awesome advantage for uk based private (non charter, etc) med boaters potentially. It works whether the boat is a uk built or other country built boat. And it works for new boats, plus used boats that are not VAT paid.

So does the answer to the uk/med debate change if uk is 20% more expensive when buying the actual boat?
    Last edited by jfm; 19-03-19 at 15:53.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Or buy exact same boat but take delivery in Gibraltar.
    If you say that this alone is enough, I take your word for it, but I'm a tad surprised.
    I mean, does this strategy work also if the owner is a Brit citizen who buys the boat as a private individual?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast