Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

Reading several of the post above are we still sure that this thread is not discussing ways to get out of paying tax that might properly be due
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    That's total garbage. "EU officials can't trace" is nonsense- they don't need to. When you bring a boat into EU wanting TI, you apply for it. Onus is on applicant/claimant to show whatever facts the officials want proof of, so "can't trace" gets you nowhere. Also you seem not to have heard of CRS, AEOI and FATCA, all of which Cayman has adopted. And finally Cayman just enacted its substance law in a bid to get Ecofin whitelist tax status. The dodgy stuff you hint at mainly exists in the imagination of daily mail journos these days (and the Times today).
    As I said you nonimate a none Eu guy usually on a tropical island living in a tin roofed shack .
    How ever if it’s large , grey has flappy ears and a trunk looks like an elephant then it’s probably IS an elephant.I agree with you on that .

Bit like this - shows the “beneficiaries “ point I made above .looks like an elephant too
    Last para is the hint .
    http://www.nauticalegal.com/en/repor...erio-en-espana.

I,am not advocating it btw and “where’s there muck there’s brass “ there’s money in garbage
    Last edited by Portofino; 20-03-19 at 07:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Reading several of the post above are we still sure that this thread is not discussing ways to get out of paying tax that might properly be due
    No I,am putting up alternative views on JFMs suggested after Brexit a U.K. citizens 3p status could open up a loophole so U.K. residents could buy “ tax not paid “ boats and successfully operate them in the Med under TA .
    If you read my posts .
    They will trade / deal that away to close it for ex U.K. folks .

There will generally develope a new place / name for a post Eu state along with a new set of special rules .
    Sos to nullify any real / perceived benefits of leaving .

Dear oh dear Bigplums you do seem to have a chip on your shoulder.

As it stands today if we crash out of the EU next week we are now all non EU citizens. Porto - you can speculate about changes to the rules etc but that is all it is, we don't even know if we are leaving on the 29th ( which is frankly unbelievable - and it seems we wont get an answer open that until the 28th - you could not make it up).

If we did leave then we could legitimately get a boat delivered to say Jersey, then temp import it into the EU for 18 months. You could not bring it to the UK - that would make VAT due on the assumption you are a UK resident.

There is no evasion / tax properly due - tax is simply not due under the rules if we crash out next week and it is delivered to an offshore location.

Until such time as we do crash out without a deal, or there is a deal and that deal says XXX about the situation ( or more likely says nothing changes for 2 years until we figure it out) then it is a pretty academic discussion. That said if I was about to pay for a new boat and take it to the med I think I would wait a few weeks .....

Finally remember there is only a part free lunch here. A tax paid boat is worth more than a tax not paid boat. The difference is not usually the whole tax as not tax paid attracts non EU buyers, and of course if you do pay it down the line then you pay based on the second hand value as opposed to the new price - so there is a nice cash benefit but it will be worth less when you come to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Finally remember there is only a part free lunch here. A tax paid boat is worth more than a tax not paid boat. The difference is not usually the whole tax as not tax paid attracts non EU buyers, and of course if you do pay it down the line then you pay based on the second hand value as opposed to the new price - so there is a nice cash benefit but it will be worth less when you come to sell.
    As you say - we don't know anything at the moment.
    But taking your point above, if a hard Brexit happens, we could see our EU based boats worth more than a UK based boat to someone who wants to keep a boat in the Med.
    Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    As you say - we don't know anything at the moment.
    But taking your point above, if a hard Brexit happens, we could see our EU based boats worth more than a UK based boat to someone who wants to keep a boat in the Med.
    Just a thought.
    Agree given it will have free circulation and an EU buyer of a UK boat will have to pay VAT / IVA etc on import. Quite odd really that is location on a date makes a difference but you have to draw a line somewhere I suppose.

I think we can probably all agree that the whole thing is a mess and given an extension seems plausible I suspect we will not know one way or another for a long time yet.

LOL, I guess it is delusional to find out that you are not alone in trying to avoid taxes.
    And the funny thing is that your small purchases from the People's Republic, deceptively declared as gift/samples/whatever, are for all intents and purposes illegal, while folks who buy Maltese Falcon and the likes (most of whom could write books on tax avoidance) actually do that without breaking the law.
    Welcome to modern capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Dear oh dear Bigplums you do seem to have a chip on your shoulder.

As it stands today if we crash out of the EU next week we are now all non EU citizens. Porto - you can speculate about changes to the rules etc but that is all it is, we don't even know if we are leaving on the 29th ( which is frankly unbelievable - and it seems we wont get an answer open that until the 28th - you could not make it up).

If we did leave then we could legitimately get a boat delivered to say Jersey, then temp import it into the EU for 18 months. You could not bring it to the UK - that would make VAT due on the assumption you are a UK resident.

There is no evasion / tax properly due - tax is simply not due under the rules if we crash out next week and it is delivered to an offshore location.

Until such time as we do crash out without a deal, or there is a deal and that deal says XXX about the situation ( or more likely says nothing changes for 2 years until we figure it out) then it is a pretty academic discussion. That said if I was about to pay for a new boat and take it to the med I think I would wait a few weeks .....

No chip on my shoulder you mistake a person speaking their mind as such and you are incorrect. You missed out the b by the way which is very significant in my screen name

In simple terms this thread will be read by many I am sure who will not dane to comment as Rich Boys trying to get out of paying their dues oh and also trying to surpress the views of normal Joe as they also like to do

No reason to be surprised it happens the world over and will continue. No reason however not to speak out

Perhaps this is not what the thread was supposed to be but that is what it will be seen as by many
    Last edited by Bigplumbs; 20-03-19 at 19:12.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    LOL, I guess it is delusional to find out that you are not alone in trying to avoid taxes.
    And the funny thing is that your small purchases from the People's Republic, deceptively declared as gift/samples/whatever, are for all intents and purposes illegal, while folks who buy Maltese Falcon and the likes (most of whom could write books on tax avoidance) actually do that without breaking the law.
    Welcome to modern capitalism.
    Many assumptions there most incorrect as usual. Be proud of your modern capitalism never mind morals

No chip on my shoulder you mistake a person speaking their mind as such and you are incorrect. You missed out the b by the way which is very significant in my screen name

In simple terms this thread will be read by many I am sure who will not dane to comment as Rich Boys trying to get out of paying their dues oh and also trying to surpress the views of normal Joe as they also like to do

No reason to be surprised it happens the world over and will continue. No reason however not to speak out

Perhaps this is not what the thread was supposed to be but that is what it will be seen as by many
    I doubt that very much.......what is there to fear?
    Your plumbs ain't that big.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast