Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    No please do, it's hilarious watching the Green-Eyed monster come out against successful people spending their money. If you use an accountant, you embrace tax avoidance after all.
    Successful is interesting you assume that I am not successful...…… Are you. Walk carefully so that chip does not fall of your shoulder
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Default Re: Brexit - latest on VAT Paid Status in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    +1
    Thanks for the food
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    I never said that works !

We don,t get the daily mail or take any EN newspapers here in Switzerland so you have lost me on that one .Nether mind I suspect it’s not particularly relivent and it’s your option to elaborate further if you think it helps the thread .Suprised at the derogatory comment “ delusional “
    I,am writing married to a recently retired HMRC tax investigator .

Moving on if I may ?
    Seeing as this thread is Brexit related and initially focused on U.K. VAT .
    Widening it quite far for some ( sorry if I loose a few ? ) I fear just bear with me ........

In the EU the IOM and CI dependency’s have sat under the wing so to speak of the mother country GB .
    Similarities can be drawn with other tax efficient dependency’s either in or surrounded by other member states sat round the table at EU summits etc .A sort of friendly stand off .

I wonder if after Brexit if the Eu might challenge stuff , start pushing back etc tax policy coming out of those UK dependency’s if there’s no or minimal influence of the UK or any current lobbying from team GB is lost ??
    How reciprocal are those current arrangements gonna be post Brexit ?

A shift in motivation occurs from the Eu as well arguably revengeful.
    Speculation sure but I can’t see the status quo holding and suspect the Eu will drive an adverse direction of travel .
    IOM was recently removed from EU grey list due to meeting EU standards.

I think we are on the “watch list” ...... same as Switzerland funnily enough.

That’s the extent of my tax knowledge
    Last edited by FARSCO; 21-03-19 at 12:26. Reason: Spellin’s

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    I,am writing married to a recently retired HMRC tax investigator ..
    Blimey, you could have warned us before she came on board! She seems far too nice anyway. HMRC tax investigator living in Switzerland? Gamekeeper turned poacher

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    If your boat was in the UK on Brexit day, you could use the TI (Temporary Import) rules in the EU for 18 months.
    And I believe that you can sail out and back and have another 18 months.
    Only if you are not an EU resident!

If you are an EU resident, you can't use a non-VAT paid boat in EU waters, regardless of where it is registered.

But that's Hurricane point, as I understood it: under his assumption, if "you" is a Brit citizen, upon Brexit day he/she is not an EU resident anymore.

Yes when / if it happens and then if it does happen under what terms if any?

If we crash out next Friday ( which is at least possible) then it would seem we are non EU citizens. Maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    But that's Hurricane point, as I understood it: under his assumption, if "you" is a Brit citizen, upon Brexit day he/she is not an EU resident anymore.
    Then they will only be allowed 90 days in every 180 in the Schengen area, seems a bit of a bummer to me

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    No please do, it's hilarious
    Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    Sorry it’s in Spanish but it says that you have to register with the Spanish authority for a certificate of registration if you want to stay more than 3 months (90 days) after Brexit of course.....the people have spoken!!
    http://extranjeros.mitramiss.gob.es/...ios/index.html
    Sorry for any intrusion but as a rags and flags man with a boat long term in Portugal, the issues raised in this thread have been around for some time and are not all Brexit issues. Registration is one of them.

There has always been a requirement for foreign nationals, who intend to spend more than 80 days in either Portugal or Spain, to register for temporary residency in that country. Not complying can result in a large fine but as with many things in this neck of the woods, many do not comply and it is seldom if ever envoked.

In Portugal registration for temporary residency is a very easy procedure, available to boat owners with no other accomodation. It costs €15 per person and lasts for 5 years. The big plus is it gets around the Schengen problem you are discussing in this forum.

There is much more on this whole issue in Liveaboard Link.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...On-The-Algarve

And there are many similar threads on life overseas now and post Brexit.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by nortada; 21-03-19 at 21:35.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast