Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default East coast adventures to be had with a small lifting keeler?

While my longbow is on the hard for the next year, I have brought my bradwell 18 down and put her in Leigh Marina.
    A few jobs to get her fettled and she will be ready to go exploring from April.
    She draws 1.5m with the keel down, 40cm with it up, any suggestions for places to take her on the essex/kent/suffolk coasts?

I'm happy to go on 3 or 4 day trips with her, and leave her somewhere until I get a chance to sail her back via different places.

What trips and places to visit do you reccomend? I like both quiet isolated anchorages, and tying up to town walls and visiting the pubs.
    Marina's are ok when either of the previous two aren't available. She has a dinghy so I can take moorings and get ashore too.

I'm looking at crossing over and doing a trip round sheppey, I like the idea of going up the creeks through the havengore lifting bridge, and I like Ramsgate, so will visit there with her at some point. I also fancy a jaunt up the thames and into london, but I got loads of info on that in an old thread from a couple of years ago.

Looking forward to some inspiration Thanks.

Default Re: East coast adventures to be had with a small lifting keeler?

The rivers Crouch, Roach, Blackwater, Colne and Suffolk rivers are packed with suitable anchorages and quays. One or other of the pilots East Coast Rivers and East Coast Pilot will be very useful for you, and you might want the odd chart.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

If you get as far as Ramsgate why not go up the (other) Stour to Sandwich? Shallow draft essential. Further on is Rye,and both towns are worth a visit.

Faversham, Oare ,Conyer and Queenborough Creek, all off the Swale; Lower Halstow off the Medway; drop the mast at Rochester and go on up the Medway to Allington, and beyond (although need Environment Agency paperwork to go on up from Allington).
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    If you get as far as Ramsgate why not go up the (other) Stour to Sandwich? Shallow draft essential. Further on is Rye,and both towns are worth a visit.
    Thats a great idea, I already had Rye in my sights as I couldnt get the big boat up there when passing last March. Hadn't thought of sandwich. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    Faversham, Oare ,Conyer and Queenborough Creek, all off the Swale; Lower Halstow off the Medway; drop the mast at Rochester and go on up the Medway to Allington, and beyond (although need Environment Agency paperwork to go on up from Allington).
    SOunds interesting, off to look at my charts

The Kent Stour does have a couple of fixed height bridges along its course, so might be a lowered mast trip the motoring along its navigable course?
    There is a family boat yard at the Grove Ferry where some supplies might be had plus a mooring alongside a good pub with accomodation can be had, oh exceptionally clear river waters run along most of the Kent Stour which makes it very different to the usually East Coast rivers
    Last edited by Capt Popeye; 12-03-19 at 10:30. Reason: coo to river name

Have a look at this site, http://creeksailor.blogspot.com
    Or read Charles Stock’s books. If he could do it........
    Last edited by Tam Lin; 11-03-19 at 19:10.
    He said, "All men will be sailors then until the sea shall free them."

I've read them, but had forgotten about tony's blog, thats a good idea, thx.

Further north, I'll just toss in Hamford water, the Deben and the Ore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast