Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: East coast adventures to be had with a small lifting keeler?

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    On a point of information, if you land from a dinghy at the staithe at the head of Kirby Creek and walk two miles along the sea wall and a good mile along the road you can get to the Red Lion at Kirby Le Soken. You can also get there by landing (if you still can?) at Kirby Quay (“Witch’s Quay”) and strolling up Maltings Lane but you will only have time for one pint.

Don’t ask me how I know this.
    I'm exhausted just reading that. A dinghy up to the WFYC would be more my style, even though I don't personally belong.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: East coast adventures to be had with a small lifting keeler?

Long ago, in the days of my youth, I sometimes sailed, from Bradwell, with a charming and very distinguished stockbroker (this was when stockbrokers were stockbrokers) named Edward Brooks, in his seven ton hard chine Hillyard named “Aslaug”. I first met “Aslaug” and her owner in Kirby Creek, when my sister and I were cruising in my 18ft half decker and we were gale bound. Edward very kindly invited two damp teenagers for supper on board his boat. Edward was an absolute authority on the reachable-from-water, as opposed to waterside, pubs of Essex and Suffolk. As a basis for getting Fresh Air and Exercise on a boat, “If we take the dinghy over there, there’s a pub the other side of that hill there ...” is pretty effective...
    Last edited by Minn; 14-03-19 at 01:07.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123