Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Any Advice Gratefully Received

We have a manual windlass on our 32 footer (8mm chain, 15kg Rocna), the kind where the drum is vertical and you put a winch handle in the top and wind it just as you would with a winch. So to use it you have to kneel or sit on the deck with your feet in the anchor well and bend over it, either way I find it very hard to use & much easier (and faster) to motor up to the anchor to get some slack, pull the slack in by hand and then lock it off on the windlass & repeat. An electric windlass would be nice...

Conyer is lovely, we visit on our East Coast cruises. Choice of the bar at the club or the pub a very short walk up the road. I've stopped at Hollowshore a couple of times (on a smack of course) but never ventured up to Oare, but again it looks like a nice place to have a boat. Faversham is a nice town, no idea what the berthing is like. From Conyer it's a pleasant walk across the fields to Teynham station and a short train ride into Faversham.

There are all-tide swinging moorings at Harty Ferry as well.

I suspect your choices may involve a trade-off of facilities versus cost.

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England

Maybe a bit further from Whitstable than you were thinking, but Lower Halstow Yacht Club just in the Medway could be worth considering. All of our moorings are drying swing moorings on soft mud, so not walk ashore, but would cost you a lot less than a marina with about the same tidal access as the other locations you mention. Our facilities are fairly simple (no bar) but adequate. We have a program of top of the tide races throughout the summer plus some longer day races.

I'm insured with Navigators & General (it is a special Westerly Owners Policy) and have 24hr single handed cover and a basic club racing cover. Don't know if they do anything similar for the Moody Owners association.
    Last edited by FulmarJeddo; 13-03-19 at 17:37. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    I've just purchased my first boat, a 1984 bilge keel Moody 27 (I don't count my Laser...)

My experience is about 1500 miles chartering in the UK and the Med, often but not always as skipper.

I plan to keep her as near as possible to Whitstable, so probably Faversham, Oare or Conyer.

So I've got a few questions and hope that some locals may be able to help me.

There is no way my wife will ever board the vessel, so some of the sailing will inevitably be single handed.

1. Any advice on the pros and cons of the mooring options mentioned above, or are there others I don't know about ?

2. Any advice on the best insurance company to use ?

3. The vessel does not have a liferaft or a windlass. Do you think they are necessary ?

4. The boat comes with a 6KG anchor and 30m of lightweight chain. It seemed a bit small to me. What do you think ?

5. I enjoy racing - despite the fact that it is extremely rare for me to come anything but last. What are the options in the area ?

Any advice greatly received.
    Whitstable used to have moorings that dry out I recall, so walking out is poss

On the subject of insurance, i'd also get a quote from Y Yacht insurance.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Popeye View Post
    Whitstable used to have moorings that dry out I recall, so walking out is poss
    It's a bit exposed for a bilge keel Yacht, especially on fairly firm sandy mud. We have a beach property in sight of Whitstable on Sheppey. I have a mooring sinker that I can set up a temporary mooring on, but wouldn't dream of leaving my boat on it without keeping a close watch on weather forecasts and being ready to run for shelter with changes in the weather.
    Last edited by FulmarJeddo; 13-03-19 at 17:44.

Most important, Welcome to the East Coast!
    We are a friendly bunch.

Regardding mooring, follow the advice above and join the Moody owners association and seek their advice on what sort of mooring will be suitable for your boat. Some bilge keek boats take get very badly stressed by settling into and out of stiff mud. Think about the angle of the keels as they settle into the mud.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

No probs with Moody bilge keels in mud berths that I've ever heard of.
    Just to echo FulmarJeddo's comment about mooring at Whitstable. Don't. Years ago there were a lot of club boats out there but most if them died on the beach in gales over the years. I was there last Sunday morning when it was howling from the NW, it was a mass of white short steep waves that will eventually either break the tackle or rip out the samson post.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

I've not seen any boats moored off Whitstable for some years - and for very good reason!

I'm insured with East Coast Mutual; low overheads and monitored by board of honorary members. Maybe worth getting a quote.
    I've got a heavy 30'er. Roll bar anchor digs in well to Medway mud but can get it to break out using line led back to Genoa winch

Queenborough might be another option to consider. A bit further from Whitstable, but less tide dependant than Faversham or Conyer. There are swinging moorings in the Swale, but I'm not sure who you would speak to about those.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast