Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folkboat soap

Default Folkboat soap

So… there’s been a Folkboat on Coronation St….. I googled it and it looks like the boat went up in flames! Hopefully that won’t happen to my Folkboat which I’ve been working on this winter and doing a bit of amateurish video blogging on youtube.

In the latest exciting episode I’ve discovered lots of rotten wood and metal as well as making new floor timbers and various keel bolts.

The wood screws holding the lower planking on have turned to mush… I wonder if they were bronze or brass… Also the bronze nuts on some of the structural back bone bolts have gone soft. I need a couple of 1/2 inch whitworth nuts. Does anyone know a supplier?

https://youtu.be/LBkwH92iuXA

Default Re: Folkboat soap

Quote Originally Posted by steve jones View Post
    So… there’s been a Folkboat on Coronation St….. I googled it and it looks like the boat went up in flames! Hopefully that won’t happen to my Folkboat which I’ve been working on this winter and doing a bit of amateurish video blogging on youtube.

In the latest exciting episode I’ve discovered lots of rotten wood and metal as well as making new floor timbers and various keel bolts.

The wood screws holding the lower planking on have turned to mush… I wonder if they were bronze or brass… Also the bronze nuts on some of the structural back bone bolts have gone soft. I need a couple of 1/2 inch whitworth nuts. Does anyone know a supplier?

https://youtu.be/LBkwH92iuXA
    No, but I'm a new subscriber. Looking forward to following your work!

That took me back a bit. I built a Folkboat, away back in 66-67. I built her with strip planking, glued and edge nailed. She had a low coach roof, as she was built in a low shed. Wonderful boat, but as I am now somewhat older, I need a boat with a bit more home comfort. Good luck with your project.

Really enjoying your work. When I got my boat, the first thing I did was put a skip beside it on the hard! That was 7 years ago. still working out new solutions to old problems. Good luck

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...4MSvl7bxLi_QD4
    It looks like these people do most things. I like your 'canopy' assembly! Mine's outside the house at the moment, and given the weather up here, I've decided not to launch this year, but to do a 'BIG' job with the varnishing, and doing it when the weather's as dry as it can be, which will then hopefully only require touching up for a few years.
    It's a personal thing I know, but are you going to take your hull back to wood and varnish her? It's nothing to do with me of course, but seeing a wooden boat painted to look like a GRP one gives me the vapours!
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Thanks for the encouragement... Regarding varnished topsides... I stripped all of the paint off the hull just after I got the boat. The planking is absolutely beautiful, straight grained mahogany, I imagine from somewhere in central or south America. I thought about varnish but it would have been too much work at the time. My aim with the boat has always been for it to be a sailing boat rather than a project boat. This is obviously delusional as I've spent massively more time working on it than sailing it. Maybe once the deck and centre line timbers have been replaced, the cockpit made beautiful, the interior has been refitted and the spars and rigging have been spruced up I'll get back to varnished topsides. Could be a few years...

Repeat every hour: "Varnishing is good fun, varnishing is good fun.....", until you believe it.
    A painted mahogany hull is rather like having a purple Ferrari, or mock Tudor caravan; it's just not right! Good luck though, you're obviously doing a really good job on the timbers!
    In truth, after a few very good years where I've sailed extensively and frequently, I'm finding the shore side work on the boat therapeutic at the moment.
    Last edited by jamie N; 14-03-19 at 15:43. Reason: Contextual change.
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

UK and NW Caribbean, Belize Mexico & Guatemala

This was our varnished folkboat William Blyth FB465 a few years after she was sold - lot of work and lots of compliments
    Attached Images Attached Images

Haven’t done any varnishing yet but I’ve fitted the new floors and bolts.

Here’s a link to a video of my latest efforts…

https://youtu.be/VOuisodLvuY

The next big task is going to be sorting out the seams. Some of them are small enough to caulk but others will need splining. I think that I’m going to open out the ragged seams with a router then glue thin strips of sapele to one plank only and then caulk the “new”seam.

Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Don’t spline below the waterline! It’s ok to glue a spline to one plank and then caulk, but do not try to spline the seam completely below the line. It can kill your boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast