Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: UK boating Verse Med Boating ,

Quote Originally Posted by mcanderson View Post
    I would be worried about but allergies. You know M’s professional training places a duty of care on her....����

Now the chicken salad is all yours!
    a But Alergy sounds scary
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    It would be way less than that in SC (including electricity and water) - especially if you rent privately.
    Now you got me thinking even more
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

This is a subject that pops up regularly here in the asylum, and I might well have already posted my view on that - which is very simple, really:
    I came across many N-EU folks (I mean, not just Brits, but also German, Dutch, etc.) who decided to keep their boats in the Med.
    Otoh, I've yet to meet any Italian, Spanish or Greek boater who did the opposite. Not a single one.
    So, whatever the individual reasons, statistic doesn't lie, I reckon...

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    This is a subject that pops up regularly here in the asylum, and I might well have already posted my view on that - which is very simple, really:
    I came across many N-EU folks (I mean, not just Brits, but also German, Dutch, etc.) who decided to keep their boats in the Med.
    Otoh, I've yet to meet any Italian, Spanish or Greek boater who did the opposite. Not a single one.
    So, whatever the individual reasons, statistic doesn't lie, I reckon...
    Brilliant
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Stop all of this I already have 8 boats in the UK quite small those are and I am semi retired and now I am looking at boats in the med...… Her indoors (who is at work !) will go nuts

A second Sealine S24 to keep in the med would suit me fine.

How much would the annual mooring be on a 24 footer in one of the cheaper places
    about 1,350-00 euros in the Torrevieja area. G5 (Valencia) tax @ 150 euros plus @ 50 euros water and electric

I get that the weather is better and all the rest of it but for someone who works full time (not my own company) and has 25 days off a year, I can't see that I'd use my boat anything like as much if it were in the Med. We are down at the boat most weekends from April - Sept. I also work close by so I can pop down down mid week if i need to. If my boat were in the Med I couldn't see me visiting it more than 3 or 4 times a year (you couldn't pop over every weekend surely). I love the idea of the Med but love my boat too much to only see it a few times a year. I'm sure the Med works much better for you self employed or retired guys - you lucky things!!

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    I get that the weather is better and all the rest of it but for someone who works full time (not my own company) and has 25 days off a year, I can't see that I'd use my boat anything like as much if it were in the Med. We are down at the boat most weekends from April - Sept. I also work close by so I can pop down down mid week if i need to. If my boat were in the Med I couldn't see me visiting it more than 3 or 4 times a year (you couldn't pop over every weekend surely). I love the idea of the Med but love my boat too much to only see it a few times a year. I'm sure the Med works much better for you self employed or retired guys - you lucky things!!
    Yes you are right. I run my own company but I still dont manage more than 35 days per year on average on my boat in the Med and if I was employed it would be even less. I know some people who go to their boats just for the weekend but for me its just too much hassle. You only need a delay on the outgoing flight and you wonder why the hell you are doing it. Luton/Stansted on a Friday night returning Sunday night with the M25 in both directions? No thanks, I'd rather be at home in front of MotD. We've been in the Med since 2003 and I have learnt that for us it doesnt make sense to go out to the boat for less than 4/5 days and flying out and back on a weekday, rather than a weekend, is a much more relaxed (and cheaper) affair too. Thursday morning to Tuesday evening is my ideal short break on the boat

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Yes you are right. I run my own company but I still dont manage more than 35 days per year on average on my boat in the Med and if I was employed it would be even less. I know some people who go to their boats just for the weekend but for me its just too much hassle. You only need a delay on the outgoing flight and you wonder why the hell you are doing it. Luton/Stansted on a Friday night returning Sunday night with the M25 in both directions? No thanks, I'd rather be at home in front of MotD. We've been in the Med since 2003 and I have learnt that for us it doesnt make sense to go out to the boat for less than 4/5 days and flying out and back on a weekday, rather than a weekend, is a much more relaxed (and cheaper) affair too. Thursday morning to Tuesday evening is my ideal short break on the boat
    Very much personal choice though Mike. As you know I do perhaps 30 weekends a year on boat. When I lived in central London I could leave office 6pm Friday and on Sunday leave boat 8.30pm. Admittedly no m25, indeed no driving. And you need full time person on boat to have drinks/dinner/canapés waiting so you're not arriving at a dark covered up boat. It definitely can be done and some winter weekends are awesome with blue sea, sunshine and long distance view of snow on the alps.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Very much personal choice though Mike. As you know I do perhaps 30 weekends a year on boat. When I lived in central London I could leave office 6pm Friday and on Sunday leave boat 8.30pm. Admittedly no m25, indeed no driving. And you need full time person on boat to have drinks/dinner/canapés waiting so you're not arriving at a dark covered up boat. It definitely can be done and some winter weekends are awesome with blue sea, sunshine and long distance view of snow on the alps.
    Thats definitely the way to do it J But many of us have 'baggage' in terms of wife/kids in tow and dog to park with neighbours and dont have a full time crew waiting at the other end with all the trimmings. As you know, I have a sort of half way house with a lady wot does for the boat and she gets the boat completely ready for us with provisions in the fridge such that, on arrival, we could just start the engines and go and the reverse on departure but it still feels too much hassle just for a weekend

Yes we have noticed that the views are better during the winter because the air is clearer and we like Antibes during the winter because its so much less crowded and more relaxed. And no problem getting restaurant tables

I've never boated in the Med so cant pass comment. What I can say is I live 12 minutes from my boat, and I work from home. As I am not in a marina, I can just spend an evening on the boat without effort and enjoy solitude and some stunning views as the sun sets. I can also take impromptu days as and when they occur with little effort or preparation. It also goes without saying we have some of the loveliest waters to be had in the UK and that's not just my opinion. Anglesey is quite spectacular.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast