Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toilet woes

Default Toilet woes

Not needing to eat prunes...as the title may suggest, but having some issues with the toilet in the master. Since buying the boat, there's been an odour coming from the holding tank as soon as it gets about 25-30% full...so requiring frequent emptying. Now it has started making a hell of a racket when you initially flush...sounds like a loud grinding, until the waste water hits the macerator and it runs quieter.

Not sure if it's related or not....but I tried turning the valve so it empties directly through the hull, after a couple of hours, water starts seeping out around the toilet base and trickles over the bathroom floor.

Not sure if the above problems are related or just a few separate issues.

Default Re: Toilet woes

What toilet ?

Flush a bucket of water down it and take it to bits.

There is probably something on the impeller in the lacerating part.

Re the smell. There are 2 ways of blocking smell. Water in the bowl or one way duck valve oe Similar..

Is the smell coming from wc or holding vent ? If vent you can put a carbon filter on it.

Most holding tanks don’t really smell that bad. Clean it out with hydrocloric acid then fill from deck exit with hose until water runs clear ( head to sea or pump first having filledcwith clean water so you are just rinsing not filling the marina with s&&&. )

1. Throw away the toilet and replace with Tecma or Planus (near identical, Italian but easily available in Uk , the best there is for this size boat).
    2. Change to freshwater flush if not already
    3. Throw away the pathetic white pvc piping that Uk boat builders use and replace with the grey butyl (from ASAP supplies or aquafax)
    4. Use T series sealand pump out not a macerator type. I’ll post you one for free if you are 24v not 12v and can wait a week or 2 (my stock is in a different location from where I am!). I don’t use them anymore having switched to gianneschi.
    5. Can’t comment on tank smell @ 1/3rd full. If the tank isn’t leaking the problem isn’t the tank. Check the air vent is clear.
    All imho + experience of boat loos!

It's a Jabsco 37075.

Would say smell coming from wc.

Agree with above. Throw it out and get a Planus. My boat was transformed the day I fitted it!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S123 View Post
    It's a Jabsco 37075.

Would say smell coming from wc.
    Electrician In Ipswich & Southwold Yard
    Custom Panels, Eberspacher/Webasto, ECU Remapping

As a minimum fit a service kit.
    As said - flush with fresh water.
    Use some chemicals - but do not mix different chemicals. I have been using Elasn Blue which is very effective but highly toxic so will be trying something different in due course . Perhaps Odorless or something like that.

Flush with fresh water and napsan, cleans the inside better than just water.
    Get the gloves on

Does it smell all the time or only after you've left the boat for a few days?
    The leak might mean the pump needs a new diaphragm.

Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    Flush with fresh water and napsan, cleans the inside better than just water.
    Get the gloves on
    Do you use Napisan (or similar) instead of chemicals specified for marine/caravan toilets ? If so it seems an economical alternative.

I find these boat loo threads interesting in a kinda educational kinda way having never actually experienced the stuff I read about .
    The fresh flush sealand vac flush in the Porto 35 neeed a replacement duck bill job which Sunseeker did within 24 hrs ( there priority call out with bogs in the SoF , the techs come straight away ) when it was aged 8 .
    The Itama has a Tecema Loos x2 gravity feed ( the deep V helps guys and raised wooden floors / cabin soles ) have been univentful .
    No odours , no hassle etc . Feels like and acts less like a normal bog in a land property tbo .

Many years ago I did spend some time in the “machinery room “ AKA engine room of a Riviera sport boat .
    As well as the VP - 74 P,s install, I noticed the holding tank and apparatus was higher then the saloon cabin ( and heads ) floor .
    I wondered “ that’s gravity defying “
    The sum of all the parts did not add up .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast