Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Blakes seacock corrosion

Hi - should I expect a bit of blue/green dusty corrosion on a 50 year old seacock or should I replace it? Iíve strength tested the nuts and they all seem very solid. Handle is a bit stiff but turns all the way.
    Thanks,
    Crispin

Default Re: Blakes seacock corrosion

Yes, you can get that on Blakes, I have seen it on mine. When you get a chance it is worth taking the cones out and if heavily pitted, lapping them back in. When reassembling with new grease the cone must not be pinched tight by the retaining plate. I secure the cone retaining plate bolts using only finger pressure, then hold the bolts head securely while I make up the lock nut. A turn of 1/8 extra on the bolt is sufficient to lock up the cone. If you do not have the manual you can find it on line just by googling Blakes Seacock Instructions.
    Last edited by BlowingOldBoots; 17-03-19 at 21:07. Reason: 'pin' deleted and replaced with 'plate'; 'screw' replaced with 'bolt'
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

At that age they are bronze, which always develops a green deposit with age, especially in marine atmpspheres. Just think of all those city centre statues, or see the nice example under brass and bronze on my website.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Thanks. Really helpful. Iím going to service them next weekend, so hopefully thatíll help.

I just tidied mine up with lapping paste and it made a huge improvement to the surface finish on the cones.

Hi

Had the same situation with our 40 year old blake seacocks, the actual seacocks were after cleaning and lapping the cones were both in very good condition however I also checked the bolts that hold the seacock into the hull. They were totaly shot and all broke with only light torque.
    I would sugest that you replace these bolts and reseat the seacocks.

Good luck

If you do decide to replace the bolts then Anglia Stainless is always recommended as a source, being somewhat cheaper than Mr Blakes for the same item (no connection etc).

Do you know what the spec/size of the bolts/nuts are?

afraid not, have avoided the temptation to replace them, a search of the forum might reveal the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by gregcope View Post
    Do you know what the spec/size of the bolts/nuts are?
    M8 x 75mm long cup head (dome head) bolts with a square shank below the cup, DZR Copper Alloy BS EN12165 material, M8 Nuts. The original were 3/8" BSW bolts and nuts made from a bronze material but apparently these are not supplied by Blakes anymore.

https://www.marinechandlery.com/blak...per-plug-valve
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast