Thread: MDL Chatham.

Default MDL Chatham.

Dark rumours that some bertholders in the marina are unhappy.
    Sources have whispered that part of the planning permission for apartments over looking the basin would include a MDL berth FOC for any purchaser .
    Some folks are complaining that these bertholders also are getting priority in lock and have other advantages over and above those souls paying for their moorings.
    Probably nothing in it ?

Default Re: MDL Chatham.

Always someone whinging at Chatham MDL, I can't imagine how these house + berth holders would get priority in the lock. I'm in and out of there more than most and have only had to wait outside once for more than one lock rotation when about 30 boats appeared at 3pm on a sunny Sunday. I can't see why anyone would need 'priority' in the lock.

As 83% of the boats moored there didn't leave even once last year, a few more boats (I believe 34 house/berths was a number floated) won't make a bit of difference to the lock arrangements.

I've been a berth holder on 2 separate occasions for a total of 5 years and off again in a couple of weeks, I've never had an issue with the staff, locking in, shore side facilities, was happy with my lot etc...maybe I'm just easy to please!

I'd suggest nothing in it.

Three or four of our club members moor in there and are very happy with the sevice in Chatham.
    One of them (just launched from hard standing) has now managed to get a berth at RCC, couple more are also on the waiting list.
    Only real complaint is lack of a social focus point such as a clubhouse.Perhaps MDL could sell a franchise, floating barge cafe type of thing bit similar to the Carter and Clarkes brokerage office.
    Last edited by oldgit; 21-03-19 at 07:55.

The sailing school barge used to have a cafe in it years ago but was shut I believe due to lack of demand.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBMH View Post
    The sailing school barge used to have a cafe in it years ago but was shut I believe due to lack of demand.
    Twas ever thus ?
    normally whinging when local pub shuts, same with post offices and village shops, but it closed cos locals would not use it
    Our galley in club could not survive unless it was subsidised* by moorings.

* A naughty word. not often spoken out loud these days.

We were based in MDL Hythe for a while - another "marina village" with berths allocated to houses. There was no evidence of the house owners getting any kind of preferential treatment.