Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ipswich to Solent - Dover or Ramsgate for stoppage?

Hi, we are sailing from Ipswich to Solent this week. Thinking to stop at Ramsgate (shorter first day) or to Dover (longer day but may then be able to go and stop at Brighton the 2nd day). What’s people experience of the marinas? Facilities? Etc. Anyone who’s done the passage and any experience is appreciated.

Default Re: Ipswich to Solent - Dover or Ramsgate for stoppage?

Ramsgate is easy to get in and out at all stages of the tide as is Dover. Personally I prefer Ramsgate, the town is nicer than Dover with several good places to eat, if you like curry try Flavours by Kumar (superb), Italian- La Magnolia. THe Royal Temple Yacht club is nice for a drink. The showers are OK but not lovely, I‘m not sure about the Dover showers since they’ve been building the new marina. Fuel is available in both.
    Pardon?

Ramsgate, nicer than Dover.
    Last edited by Leopold Bloom; 18-03-19 at 21:34. Reason: Not thinking

Can you explain? Double tide boost? I thought it’s more relevant for going from Solent to Ipswich?

I have done Ipswich to Gosport about 12 times. Going west singlehanded, I try to make Dover then Brighton. Coming back east, I try for Eastbourne then Ramsgate, but have done Eastbourne to Orwell in 16 hours.
    Brighton and Eastbourne both have good facilities, not sure about Dover at the mo during redevelopment. Also check depths in Brighton at LW. Looe channel a god bet in reasonable weather. Newish windfarm at Brighton. You can still sail through the London Array at Foulgers Gat. Look out for pots in the Gullstrem Channel at the Goodwin Fork, and on the approach to Eastbourne.
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Dover is not a bundle of fun in a southwesterly with an ebb tide. Probably all in the mind but I don’t like it.

Sorry, head on upside down ��*♂️ Still prefer Ramsgate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Dover is not a bundle of fun in a southwesterly with an ebb tide. Probably all in the mind but I don’t like it.
    In my experience, it's sometimes very bouncy immediately outside the entrances (particularly the eastern one) in any tide and wind, but hold on to your hat and you're very quickly through.

Contrary to several posts above, I have a soft spot for Dover, and prefer it to Ramsgate for berthing. Being left to your own devices to hunt up and down the aisles at Ramsgate for a suitable space is rather nerve wracking in a long keeler! (I also got literally rammed at Ramsgate, by another boat. I didn't realise until too late that it hadn't been my transom he'd hit (I was below when he hit, no damage visible there, so I accepted his apology), but saw later he'd bent a stanchion beside the cockpit.)

Agree, though, that Ramsgate is more generally scenic.

Dover staff, including Harbour Radio, patrol boat, and marina have always been great though. There is/was also a great cafe for all-day breakfast and more just yards from the basin, and more, I think, in the way of marine engineers and such businesses. Sadly the chandlery's gone.

I don't know current state of play with Dover redevelopment.

It depends on how much progress you are making. Other things being equal, if I get to N Foreland and there is going to be enough tide to make Dover I will carry on. Leaving Dover it is normally possible to round Dungeness with the tide, and later to round Beachy Head to make Brighton in one longish, 60 mile, day. Going west is all about getting the tides right, but you are always at the mercy of conditions of course.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

For me it is all to do with tide.
    If you hit Ramsgate just as the tide is turning against you can have 6 or 18 hours off , and this never fits with my plan, if the tide is still with you making for Dover has to be the best bet.
    If yo make Dover as it turns against again you have 6 or 18 hours off as an option.
    I normally aim for somewhere 10 miles north of North Forland at slack tide, this gives 6 hours to suck me, or is it blow me, through the Dover bit. So I end up past Dungeness as it turns.
    End result is I always sail in one hit and have an extra day in the Solent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast