Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knots

Default Knots

Well............ here we are with a very basic question:

Scenario:

We want to securely stay in a bay - lets say Mediterranean - we are staying the night - but its windy - the yacht is well anchored but also need a line to shore. Every one else has - so swinging is not an option.

I have line but its too short, so I need to extend.

I can find another rope in the lazeratte of equal thickness to make up the difference that I need - what knot would you use to tie the two together?

I am staying all night and want to sleep well.

My questions is based on the fact that I have regularly tied the sheet bend and found that gradually , under reversing forces it slipped so some extent - never let go, but could you sleep well with this knot ?

I know that two bowlines is frowned upon but would you fell safer / or not ?
    One of the 16 Million Remainers.

Default Re: Knots

Blood knot or double fisherman's.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddox View Post
    Blood knot or double fisherman's.
    Might be hard to undo. What about Riggers Knot/Hunters Bend?

And what is the objection to two bowline loops?

It probably won't matter for a night while you are aboard, but Ashley studied the issue of knots undoing under tugging rather than constant pull. The sheet bend is very bad, double sheet bend a bit better and the Zeppelin knot wins hands-down. A Carrick bend is ok too but needs seizing and is more appropriate for really thick rope (which you won't be using: I imagine 12 or 14mm is easily adequate, and all you'll have anyway).

Two bowlines unless you want to spendhalf the night you were supposed to be asleep figuring out how to tie some kinda snakes orgy.

• If the ropes have eyes in one end interlink the loops to form a reef knot.
    • Make loops - bowlines or double overhand knots then interlink as above.
    • With one loop by ether of the above methods, join with double sheet bend.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I have used a sheet bend in exactly this situation and have never had any problems .... but on reflection I've also used two bowlines for extending a rope but not in a shoreline situation.

Richard

When tying an important knot, even a bowline, I sometimes make an extra half-hitch with the free end to anchor it.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I almost always use a double sheet bend and have never observed the slightest slippage. I do tend to leave fairly long tails, so even if it did slip it would have to move a lot (couple of feet) before it came undone. Might help that one of the lines usually seems to end up being octoplait - just a coincidence of the combination of extra warps I have in the locker. In that case I always use the plait for the round-and-round part of the knot - being more flexible than 3-strand it will bind up tighter. It would be interesting to know what sort of rope Ashley used for his tests - most of his work is based on traditional fibre which is grippier than modern line but also stiffer.

Occasionally on a whim I use a carrick bend. Especially if I'm expecting very heavy load that might make any other knot hard to undo afterwards.

Pete

In an important situation like that never rely on a bowline or two bowline loops unless it they are seized properly because they can come undone.
    Likewise a bowline should never be used for an anchor unless you want to lose it - or the boat!
    My choice would be a Hunters Bend for the shoreline.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast